Anyone else hate the law school drinking culture?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
UtilityMonster

Re: Anyone else hate the law school drinking culture?

Postby UtilityMonster » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:07 pm

OP,

I need to know what school you go to.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:12 pm

Peg wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:There is one more course of action here, Peg, and that is to Become Legend. Show up at the bar after the group is already there, do a shot immediately, and tell everyone you don't like hanging out with pussies, and they should do the same. Later, go the bar and buy a round of vodka shots but tell the server to give you water. Slam your H2O as soon as it is set on the table and reinforce the notion that everyone else is a pussy, and that you are disappointed they don't understand how to party. After they finish their shots, tell them you are proud of them. Rinse, repeat, have a couple beers in between. It will take some acting, but the beauty is you will never have to give a repeat performance. If they ask where you were one weekend, you can just say you were taking care of "this, that, and the other," and they will completely understand.

LOL love this.

It's the clear answer.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:07 am

UtilityMonster wrote:OP,

Seriously. If anything, not enough people at my school are alcoholics. I miss my college friends solely for the fact that I never had to bug people to go out drinking with me on a weekday.

Good thing I found a non-law school crew to go out drinking with almost every day.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:53 am

Nope.

One Moment in Annihilation's Waste,
One Moment, of the Well of Life to taste --
The Stars are setting and the Caravan
Starts for the Dawn of Nothing -- Oh, make haste!

If all be true that I do think, there are five reasons we should drink. Good friends, good times, or being dry, or lest we should be by and by, or any other reason why

An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:09 am

dabomb75 wrote:

Good thing I found a non-law school crew to go out drinking with almost every day.

Damn, that can get expensive.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:32 am

I.P. Daly wrote:
dabomb75 wrote:

Damn, that can get expensive.

Not when we're straight pounding Natty Ice at the flip cup table. LAX4LIFE

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:01 pm

I have the exact opposite problem (that's what I get for going to school in Utah).

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:38 pm

Ok, there seems to be a lack of serious responses (which, in my mind, confirms a bit what OP says about law students being a bit immature). But in all due seriousness, I think a lot of older students understand how you feel. I would try reaching out, like inviting a nice person to lunch. Or try to get to know new people by joining new activities. Or maybe you can have your friends bring over anyone else they might know to your house for a dinner. But it's good that you have 5-6 good friends; it's better than none, right?

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:57 pm

I don't do the bar scene myself. I just don't see the point. I would rather spend Friday night playing football with my son.

I doubt I am missing out on anything at all and meet more than enough people doing other activities and there are plenty. Intramural sports, service organizations, fill in the blank ___________ student associations etc etc.

portaprokoss

Postby portaprokoss » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:00 pm

Just go and drink Perrier. It says: "I am grand and desirable for two reasons: first, I used to drink heavily, and thus formerly was funny, careless, adventuresome, etc.; and second, I had the sense to give it up, and am thus both intelligent and disciplined. Further, I am at the moment your social superior, because, sober, I'm watching you get drunk, and I can assure you that you are a pathetic spectacle."

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:02 pm

portaprokoss wrote:Just go and drink Perrier. It says: "I am grand and desirable for two reasons: first, I used to drink heavily, and thus formerly was funny, careless, adventuresome, etc.; and second, I had the sense to give it up, and am thus both intelligent and disciplined. Further, I am at the moment your social superior, because, sober, I'm watching you get drunk, and I can assure you that you are a pathetic spectacle."

No, it says neither of those things.

portaprokoss

Postby portaprokoss » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:05 pm

EvilClinton wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:Just go and drink Perrier. It says: "I am grand and desirable for two reasons: first, I used to drink heavily, and thus formerly was funny, careless, adventuresome, etc.; and second, I had the sense to give it up, and am thus both intelligent and disciplined. Further, I am at the moment your social superior, because, sober, I'm watching you get drunk, and I can assure you that you are a pathetic spectacle."

Not to you. No. It wouldn't.
***about faces, twirls horse-head cane, struts off***

Hjones33

Postby Hjones33 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:10 pm

portaprokoss wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:

Not to you.
***about faces, twirls horse-head cane, struts off***

What was that? Did you think that was funny? Am I just behind on what's funny on the webz?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:13 pm

just consider it a part of your job. Say 'I will go to two or three bars with these guys a month.' And then actually do it.

Only on TLS.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:20 pm

portaprokoss wrote:Further, I am at the moment your social superior, because, sober, I'm watching you get drunk, and I can assure you that you are a pathetic spectacle."

Ah yes, this is why I hate when sobers tag along to drinking events.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:28 pm

There's a middle ground, and it's called not being a total dbag.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:32 pm

wtf?

Or did I just read the funniest thing I have ever read on TLS?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:37 pm

Last edited by stillwater on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:43 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:I feel like I've been saying this a lot lately:

UnamSanctam wrote:Holy shit, it's not that hard to figure out.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:47 am

Veyron wrote:
just consider it a part of your job. Say 'I will go to two or three bars with these guys a month.' And then actually do it.

Only on TLS.

Yeah? I've met several attorneys, many 2Ls and 3Ls (including a guy who's given me all of his outlines and a lot of advice. He's got three cali awards and was piss-ass drunk when we met. Great fella.) I've gotten a summer job offer and it's not even October yet of my 1L year.

It works. I wouldn't have met any of these people if I hadn't gone. You don't want to do it, that's your business. I'm just telling you what works at my school at this point in time.

Also, if you (general 2nd person, not you specifically Veyron) get offended when someone doesn't drink while you get drunk, you should probably reconsider which one of you is the asshole.

Postby 20130312 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:29 am

Scotusnerd wrote:Yeah? I've met several attorneys, many 2Ls and 3Ls (including a guy who's given me all of his outlines and a lot of advice. He's got three cali awards and was piss-ass drunk when we met. Great fella.) I've gotten a summer job offer and it's not even October yet of my 1L year.

It works. I wouldn't have met any of these people if I hadn't gone. You don't want to do it, that's your business. I'm just telling you what works at my school at this point in time.

Also, if you (general 2nd person, not you specifically Veyron) get offended when someone doesn't drink while you get drunk, you should probably reconsider which one of you is the asshole.

He said that because most people go out to have fun.

Jesus Aspie Christ.

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:32 am

bk1 wrote:
Peg wrote:I feel like I'm losing out on a valuable network

You sound like fun.

Literally was going to post the exact same thing... touche sir.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:35 am

Scotusnerd wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Only on TLS.

Yeah? I've met several attorneys, many 2Ls and 3Ls (including a guy who's given me all of his outlines and a lot of advice. He's got three cali awards and was piss-ass drunk when we met. Great fella.) I've gotten a summer job offer and it's not even October yet of my 1L year.

You just go to bars and ask people if they are lawyers?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:38 am

Scotusnerd wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Only on TLS.

f7 wrote:Breaking Bergers.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:43 pm

Tom Joad wrote:You just go to bars and ask people if they are lawyers?

No, I get introduced by other students and attorneys like a normal person.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”