Anyone else hate the law school drinking culture? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Peg

Bronze

Anyone else hate the law school drinking culture?

Post by Peg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:29 pm

I love being a 2L. No stress about classes, tons of free time (because I'm not on a journal and I'm thrilled about it), etc. But outside my small group of 5-6 friends, the social life at law school really grates on my nerves. There are tons of smart, nice people here, but they pretty much only socialize drunk. You're not "sociable" unless you're at a shitty sports bar or disgusting nightclub downtown, drinking your face off and generally being raucous and fratty.

Does anyone else hate the drinking culture? I love my classmates as people and I do want to get to know some of them better, but they pretty much all bond over alcohol and their idea of fun is constantly getting shit-faced. I enjoy a beer now and then, but I just don't really see the fun in drinking at all. It's so hard to connect with people who you know would be good friends if you could just pry the beer can out of their hands.

I have a full life outside of law school these days and it's probably because I don't bother to read for class anymore or study at all. I literally come to law school to hang out with friends and shop online during class. But I find it very, very difficult to build friendships with other 2Ls and 3Ls. Part of it is the inherently cliquey nature of law school - after 1L, people just aren't as interested in making new friends. And part of it is my total lack of interest in way they party. The married people are easier to make friends with, but I feel like I'm losing out on a valuable network (and possibly good friendships) by not being able to relate to the other twenty-something students. Anyone else have this problem?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Anyone else hate the law school drinking culture?

Post by bk1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:33 pm

Peg wrote:I feel like I'm losing out on a valuable network
You sound like fun.

usfvictor

Bronze

Post by usfvictor » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:39 pm

you realize you can go socialize with those people w/o getting drunk right?

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:43 pm

If you are a K-JD law student and haven't worked a long term full time job, then you have not experienced what is the continuous loop that is working. One day you may wish you had taken advantage of all of this free time to get plastered.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:48 pm

The last 3 weeks of moving in + orientation have basically destroyed my liver :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:51 pm

I hate drinking.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:53 pm

My advice? Suck it up and go out to bars with them. I don't drink (much), and I hate bars. I really honest-to-god hate the shitty things. They're loud, full of children and horny retards, and everyone pretending they're having a good time.

I f*cking HATE them.

That said, I have met some of my best contacts and friends from law school at bars. They honestly love them, and I respect them for it. My advice is to branch out, get over your dislike, and just consider it a part of your job. Say 'I will go to two or three bars with these guys a month.' And then actually do it.

Does it suck? Yes. Is it important? Yes. Is it more important than a personal distaste for it? Hell yes.

leapincamelleopard

New

Post by leapincamelleopard » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:54 pm

My suggestion is that you find something that you do want to do and invite your friends to do it, establish a routine (Wednesday Bowling, Friday Game Night, Sunday Matinee movies), then invite others to do it too (extend your friend circle- invite people you think might be interested). Your best option is to pick something where people CAN drink but thats not the only purpose. You go to a bar, of course people get drunk, you go bowling, people can drink but they will also be playing a game, talking, having fun. If the drinking aspect really upsets you, do something where drinking is less likely.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:05 pm

Drinking's such a drag.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:07 pm

Get some B/M/G school friends - that's still networking. Who wants to have a bunch of unemployed JDs in their circle?

*hiccup*

The Duck

Bronze

Post by The Duck » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:09 pm

bk187 wrote:
Peg wrote:I feel like I'm losing out on a valuable network
You sound like fun.
This. I highly recommend you not go work at a law firm.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:13 pm

I don't drink too much and don't like bars because of the $$$ and noise level. I suggest going out once in awhile in order to socialize, but nobody at my LS expects you to get plastered. Nobody cares if you drink one or ten drinks. Just have a beer or two, mingle a little, and leave whenever you want to. Also, there probably are non-drinking options available, but you're going to have to look for them. I pretty much have a craft beer or two about two nights a week, and go out to a bar about once every second or third week. I haven't really had any problems socializing. Where do you go btw?

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:14 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Get some B/M/G school friends - that's still networking. Who wants to have a bunch of unemployed JDs in their circle?

*hiccup*
lol! I have been looking at doing just that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:19 pm

Lawyers are alcoholics.

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:49 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:My advice? Suck it up and go out to bars with them. I don't drink (much), and I hate bars. I really honest-to-god hate the shitty things. They're loud, full of children and horny retards, and everyone pretending they're having a good time.

I f*cking HATE them.

That said, I have met some of my best contacts and friends from law school at bars. They honestly love them, and I respect them for it. My advice is to branch out, get over your dislike, and just consider it a part of your job. Say 'I will go to two or three bars with these guys a month.' And then actually do it.

Does it suck? Yes. Is it important? Yes. Is it more important than a personal distaste for it? Hell yes.
This is pretty much what I've come to realize. I do socialize (a lot) without drinking, and I have a number of close friends who are 2Ls and 3Ls, but the only way to make contacts with law students whom you don't usually ever hang out with only happens at events like bar review, or if you're taking a small class together. It doesn't happen at more intimate events like house parties or any other invite-only type of event, because the people who come to those are people you are already friends with anyway.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:21 pm

eek.. i dont really drink either. i dont dislike bars though. i guess i can go and have a diet coke. :oops:

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:43 pm

You could start some type of social club that sponsors activities that don't involve drinking... Whitewater rafting trips, hiking/park adventures, pro bono events with legal aid (great for networking), sports teams with the city or university intermural league. When the drinking starts after the event ends, you could always bounce.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:46 pm

I miss alcoholism.

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:20 pm

This thread has made me thirsty. Is 15 min of cite checking enough to warrant some rye ole fashioneds?

OP: Do w/e makes you happy. Going to a bar to "network" on a professional level with other law students does not work. If you hate drinking, DO NOT GO.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:40 pm

Drinking is a sin.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:46 pm

There is one more course of action here, Peg, and that is to Become Legend. Show up at the bar after the group is already there, do a shot immediately, and tell everyone you don't like hanging out with pussies, and they should do the same. Later, go the bar and buy a round of vodka shots but tell the server to give you water. Slam your H2O as soon as it is set on the table and reinforce the notion that everyone else is a pussy, and that you are disappointed they don't understand how to party. After they finish their shots, tell them you are proud of them. Rinse, repeat, have a couple beers in between. It will take some acting, but the beauty is you will never have to give a repeat performance. If they ask where you were one weekend, you can just say you were taking care of "this, that, and the other," and they will completely understand.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:56 pm

justonemoregame wrote:There is one more course of action here, Peg, and that is to Become Legend. Show up at the bar after the group is already there, do a shot immediately, and tell everyone you don't like hanging out with pussies, and they should do the same. Later, go the bar and buy a round of vodka shots but tell the server to give you water. Slam your H2O as soon as it is set on the table and reinforce the notion that everyone else is a pussy, and that you are disappointed they don't understand how to party. After they finish their shots, tell them you are proud of them. Rinse, repeat, have a couple beers in between. It will take some acting, but the beauty is you will never have to give a repeat performance. If they ask where you were one weekend, you can just say you were taking care of "this, that, and the other," and they will completely understand.
LOL love this.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:59 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:I don't drink too much and don't like bars because of the $$$ and noise level. I suggest going out once in awhile in order to socialize, but nobody at my LS expects you to get plastered. Nobody cares if you drink one or ten drinks. Just have a beer or two, mingle a little, and leave whenever you want to. Also, there probably are non-drinking options available, but you're going to have to look for them. I pretty much have a craft beer or two about two nights a week, and go out to a bar about once every second or third week. I haven't really had any problems socializing. Where do you go btw?
Pre-drinking saves money. The more you know.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:00 pm

IAFG wrote:I miss alcoholism.
She never really left, and despite her two-timing ways, she'll take you back without judging.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:04 pm

Peg wrote:I love being a 2L. No stress about classes, tons of free time (because I'm not on a journal and I'm thrilled about it), etc. But outside my small group of 5-6 friends, the social life at law school really grates on my nerves. There are tons of smart, nice people here, but they pretty much only socialize drunk. You're not "sociable" unless you're at a shitty sports bar or disgusting nightclub downtown, drinking your face off and generally being raucous and fratty.

Does anyone else hate the drinking culture? I love my classmates as people and I do want to get to know some of them better, but they pretty much all bond over alcohol and their idea of fun is constantly getting shit-faced. I enjoy a beer now and then, but I just don't really see the fun in drinking at all. It's so hard to connect with people who you know would be good friends if you could just pry the beer can out of their hands.

I have a full life outside of law school these days and it's probably because I don't bother to read for class anymore or study at all. I literally come to law school to hang out with friends and shop online during class. But I find it very, very difficult to build friendships with other 2Ls and 3Ls. Part of it is the inherently cliquey nature of law school - after 1L, people just aren't as interested in making new friends. And part of it is my total lack of interest in way they party. The married people are easier to make friends with, but I feel like I'm losing out on a valuable network (and possibly good friendships) by not being able to relate to the other twenty-something students. Anyone else have this problem?
Counterpoint - the Friends episode "The One With Russ," where Monica is dating Fun Bobby who is a blast to be around, but then he quits drinking and is boring as hell. I think we can all learn something from that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”