LEEWS on a Civ Pro exam?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
GBPbb

LEEWS on a Civ Pro exam?

Postby GBPbb » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:36 am

I don't really understand how someone can apply the LEEWS method to a civ pro exam... I've tried, and its super difficult. I know its fairly early in the semester, so I don't know a ton of BLL at this point, but I'd still like to practice the method on classes other than Torts.

Any insight?

northwood

Re: LEEWS on a Civ Pro exam?

Postby northwood » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:33 am

Civ PRo is very much rule dominated. My civ pro exam consisted of two fact patterns with 3-4 questions for each. Each question targeted a specific Rule which limited your analysis to that rule. THe first half of the course deals with jurisdiction and the like- so you are most likely spending a lot of time talking about where a case can be brought, which type of court and who the parteis are. Then as you progress through the course, more elements and potential issues are introduced. These concepts all build on earlier concepts- which in the end results in a fantasticly complex fact pattern. As for the exam, you need to see how your prof gives teh exam, and what type of questions she/he is asking. While it is important to read the question closely in ALL exams, its even more important here beause you need to respond to hte actual questoin presented, and not deviate from that response, when you see that there should be joinder of parties- but is it permissive or compulsory? If you write that response to an earlier question, then you are wasting your time because it will be the analysis for a later question ( this is especially important if you have strict limits foreach question) and you may need to spend more time analyzing the question

By the Way, PROFS LOVE thte ERIE DOCTRINE because it is so complex and a lot of students are confused. be sure to be able to know that one cold.

goaheadualright

Postby goaheadualright » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:56 pm

Not sure what you mean by that you "tried" but maybe go to the library, get an old exam from your professor, complete it through your methods, make an appointment with your teacher/go to office hours to discuss your answer and see if it's just spectacular or totally not what he/she was looking for.

GBPbb

Postby GBPbb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:45 am

goaheadualright wrote:Not sure what you mean by that you "tried" but maybe go to the library, get an old exam from your professor, complete it through your methods, make an appointment with your teacher/go to office hours to discuss your answer and see if it's just spectacular or totally not what he/she was looking for.

By "tried" I mean that I took a Civ Pro practice test, tried to apply the "Blender", and had a difficult time doing it. It's easy to apply in Torts, A v. B, A v. C, Battery, IIED, etc... and the elements of each, elaborate on the premises and counter-premises. In Civ Pro, its difficult to do that.

Good advice tho, ill have to try and get my hands on my professors old exams. I tried previously, but he hasn't released them yet.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:00 am

CIV pro is extremely procedural based. Therfore, the exam will typically revolve around procedureal decisions and the like. This makes LEEWS kindadifficult, but not impossible. You need to analyze each aspect of the question from the beginning- JD, mandator parties, paries tht can be brought into the suit, joinder of claims- res judicata, etc.....

so instead of looking at A v B, Bv C etc- you can go by topics and explain each topic. Additionally- you can do this in TORTS and other classes as well

LEEWS isnt the end all be all. You need to tailor your exam structure and responses to your professor. I had professors who looked at a practice exam that I did the LEEWS way and they told me they didnt like the structure ( and i would lose points as a result) and told me they'd rather see an exam response broken down by issue headings-not parties. SO be prepared to alter your exam response format for each professor accordingly ( and its still very early to take a practice exam in Civ Pro- just do hypos for each section when you finish it)
ie.

IIED
rule- analysis of the rule
claims by P against Q
rebuttals by Q that it was not IIEDprobable conclusion

Damages
IIED
TORT 2

etc etc

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”