Want to practince in MD and NY

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lawschoolftw

Want to practince in MD and NY

Postby lawschoolftw » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:42 pm

NY native, clerking for a Maryland judge though and know exit options will be best in MD. I'd be happy to stay in MD/DC but don't want to foreclose the possibility of going back to NY post clerkship. I am completely naive regarding the Bar process (current 3L). How hard would it be to take both MD and NY bar exams so that I'm licensed in both states?

I.P. Daly

Re: Want to practince in MD and NY

Postby I.P. Daly » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:47 pm

I believe the first day of both exams is held on the third Tuesday of July, and that both exams are two days long. So, you'd probably have to take one exam in July, and the other in February. However, I'm not absolutely certain about that...

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:27 am

The exams are a week apart. Does anyone have any experience even taking two exams if not the two I want to take?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:44 am

lawschoolftw wrote:The exams are a week apart. Does anyone have any experience even taking two exams if not the two I want to take?

It's extremely common. Usually, though, I believe it involves two states that are close together and share an MBE day. Pretty sure you wouldn't have to take the MBE twice, but I would contact the relevant admin office in Maryland and ask. I'm sure they've seen this before.

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks! Any idea on how this would work with a bar prep company? Would I have to purchase both courses?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:47 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:Thanks! Any idea on how this would work with a bar prep company? Would I have to purchase both courses?

Most people do the NY course and then just make up the law for the second bar (assuming they're similar enough - like, say, NY and CT), but I think BarBri might offer the second bar's materials without the full course for a discounted price. I would look up the format of the Maryland bar and maybe ask someone at your school. Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”