Fledgling 1L in need of Answers

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Blessedassurance

Re: Fledgling 1L in need of Answers

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:33 pm

PhillyCheesesteak wrote: my school gives me the tools, to be my own boss

I don't get it...

PhillyCheesesteak

Postby PhillyCheesesteak » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:40 pm

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:51 pm

kwais wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
PhillyCheesesteak wrote:
2. A sizable minority of classmates are going out "drunk foolin'" on a Friday. You decide to stay in and study like a jabrewni. Was this the right decision?

Just another 1L here but I have not gone out a single Friday night myself. I just don't see the point myself. I have no idea if that helps, but you aren't alone on that one.

to make friends and have a normal life you idiot.

And to OP, if you don't have time to socialize, you are doing law school wrong. Guarantee it.

OK, and if you think you need to go "drunk foolin" on a Friday night in order to make friends OR have a normal life you are headed for a twelve-step program at some point pretty soon in your life.

I spend plenty of time socializing and have plenty of friends but have no desire to spend Friday night getting drunk. OP, hey, you wanna go out Friday night, by all means, go out. I am just saying that if you don't, then don't; not everyone needs to get hammered to have fun and meet people.

Take Kwais above. See, he is probably one of those guys whose balls only drop a little when he has a little liquid courage so he can talk to women and mouth off to the alpha males. Luckily for him, he can let his boys swing a little on the internet hiding behind an anonymous SN as well so even he could avoid needing alcohol to have a normal life.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:03 pm

JCFindley wrote:
kwais wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
PhillyCheesesteak wrote:
2. A sizable minority of classmates are going out "drunk foolin'" on a Friday. You decide to stay in and study like a jabrewni. Was this the right decision?

Just another 1L here but I have not gone out a single Friday night myself. I just don't see the point myself. I have no idea if that helps, but you aren't alone on that one.

to make friends and have a normal life you idiot.

And to OP, if you don't have time to socialize, you are doing law school wrong. Guarantee it.

OK, and if you think you need to go "drunk foolin" on a Friday night in order to make friends OR have a normal life you are headed for a twelve-step program at some point pretty soon in your life.

I spend plenty of time socializing and have plenty of friends but have no desire to spend Friday night getting drunk. OP, hey, you wanna go out Friday night, by all means, go out. I am just saying that if you don't, then don't; not everyone needs to get hammered to have fun and meet people.

Take Kwais above. See, he is probably one of those guys whose balls only drop a little when he has a little liquid courage so he can talk to women and mouth off to the alpha males. Luckily for him, he can let his boys swing a little on the internet hiding behind an anonymous SN as well so even he could avoid needing alcohol to have a normal life.

listen you fucking 1L loser. You said you do not GO OUT, you said nothing about drunk hookups or "foolin" or whatever that is. Then you said you do not see the point of GOING OUT. Going out, as other adults have pointed out, can include a wide array of activities, most of which do not involve anything even resembling "foolin." The fact that you don't "see the point" means you like to come on here and puff your 1L chest about how focused you are. Next year, this time, when all the other 1Ls are doing the same, you will look back and be embarrassed about some of these things you are posting. Law school is just school you fucking moron. If it over takes you to the level you appear to be allowing, then you should be ashamed. Oh, and just a tip asshole, make sure to become a whole person again before OCI, because no one likes to work with gunners like you; a sad fact that many people discover too late.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:07 pm

kwais wrote:
listen you fucking 1L loser. You said you do not GO OUT, you said nothing about drunk hookups or "foolin" or whatever that is. Then you said you do not see the point of GOING OUT. Going out, as other adults have pointed out, can include a wide array of activities, most of which do not involve anything even resembling "foolin." The fact that you don't "see the point" means you like to come on here and puff your 1L chest about how focused you are. Next year, this time, when all the other 1Ls are doing the same, you will look back and be embarrassed about some of these things you are posting. Law school is just school you fucking moron. If it over takes you to the level you appear to be allowing, then you should be ashamed. Oh, and just a tip asshole, make sure to become a whole person again before OCI, because no one likes to work with gunners like you; a sad fact that many people discover too late.

He mad....

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:31 pm

What is happening here? I truly do not understand.

The best advice I can give anyone is to do whatever they need to do to be sure they have the energy and momentum to get through the end of the semester and finals in good shape. I don't think that necessarily has any correlation to what you are doing right now.

I've mentioned this a couple of times. I seriously burned out in the middle of first semester. I was able to recover in time for finals but I had a serious period of a few weeks where I was only able to read for at most 30 minutes and then I had to get up and take a break. I had a week of only 15 minutes at a time. My total work time was limited to no more than 3 hours - no matter what i got done or didn't get done. I had to stop after a total of 3 hours and basically do stuff that didn't tax my brain (surprisingly this included even watching TV or playing computer games.) I had to add in exercise, walking and even some daily meditation.

This plan was set up for me by a cognitive therapist because i literally got to the point where I wasn't absorbing any information.

You do not want this to happen to you. It was one of the most difficult times in my life because until then I could always rely on my brain to learn fairly quickly and to remember things i heard almost word for word from lecture. I really was scared that it would take forever to rehabilitate my cognitive skills. Even so having to strictly limit how much i could even read at one time was really difficult for me to do.

I know this sounds extreme, but you must avoid burning out. Keep that in mind when you are deciding how hard you are working now and if you are really spending time working that isn't necessary right now just because you think you should be studying.

Edit to add: If I had been burned out near finals I would have had to withdraw. There is no way I could have taken exams.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:55 pm

I don't even know how to respond to this, Jesus. Just be ready for the exam and whatever you do with however much free time you have is up to you.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:05 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:lol

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:18 pm

lol TLS

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:29 pm

I'm glad I'm not a 1L anymore.

At some point you'll stop caring, and then you'll just live your life.

TheRedMamba

Postby TheRedMamba » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:40 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:No, you missed the part where I said I had my normal friends and fiancee (now wife). I had my life established before I went to law school (though I didn't tailgate as much 1L year). My post was focused on law school socializing.

And asbergers - no, but if there is a checklist for autism, I might have like 60% of the symptoms. Can't stand ticking clocks in silent rooms, or noises while I need silence generally, I excel to the extreme with certain things (fortunately for me, one was law school), but damn will I do poorly if I'm not interested. I don't like people. But with respect, you know nothing of me, how I am at parties, or my social life in general. I'm an expert drinker - a trait with its inherent pluses and minuses.

I make no excuses, but predatory? That's not a fair inference from what I wrote (did you miss the satire? And where did I say I banged those sluts?). I simply dominated my peers academically - but none of them knew it, because I never revealed my class rank or grades to anyone in law school, because I didn't do it for acclaim, I did it for me. I've said it before here, and I'll repeat it here - your grade depends on your peers doing worse, so fuck them. If law school grades were structured collaboratively, I wouldn't have done as well. But that isn't my fault.

And as a digression, let me add this - being introverted does not necessarily mean social anxiety - maybe I had it as a teenager when I did not know how to win over the girl I was crushing on, but that faded as I matured. And since we're discussing, I partied fucking hard in high school, maybe even harder than undergrad - when I ran into highschool peers who didn't party in highschool, those were the ones who got swept away in undergrad. Think the catholic school girl who turns out to be a slut. Keep it bottled up, freedom carries them away.

I discovered something about myself during the OCI / call back process - I'm far better at socializing than I ever gave myself credit for (thank you MSU social scene). The thing is, I don't need it (socializing, validation of others) to be happy, but shit is that necessary to have a successful legal career at a high level. But damn was I surprised when one OCI interviewer told me, quite frankly, "look, you're going to get a lot of offers based on how you interview, so look to the firm culture, whether people have their office doors open, refer to their secretaries by first name, etc." Being good looking doesn't hurt.....

So with respect, don't insult me for being honest. OP asked if not drunk foolin' was a bad idea. I said no, and I justified my response. Why does that bother you? (That's rhetorical - I don't care why it bothers you - or maybe I did, because that was personal).

you fucking lose.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:56 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Thank you all for your contributions to this thread. Now when someone asks what we mean by aspie law students, I can link to here. Gonna QFP my faves:

You sound like a kind person with a warm heart, truely a king among men. And if what I wrote made you laugh (even if the laughter of a snide asshole), great! You wouldn't be the first person to note that my outlook on things is different, as if I was unaware. But that somehow makes me ill, or mentally deficient? I said it, and I meant it, and despite your derision I don't feel bad about it - I don't really like people (yes, there are people like this), I don't need them to be happy (generally, but everyone needs romance). Introversion happens.

My style and attitude have taken me far in life - and this got way off topic, but whatever, I want to lay this out, since you fucks made this personal. Frankly, asshole, being introverted was something I had to struggle with to overcome as I matured. Being the shy brilliant little kid who didn't like socializing wasn't as fun as it sounds believe it or not, people being social creatures and all. I didn't want to be a lonely little nerd (or at least, I didn't want to be viewed differently), but it wasn't easy, I had to work at it. I had to force myself out of my comfort zone - thus, out to parties, into boozing and all the attendant fun. I had to work on it else be relegated to loser status forever. Being a shy kid was one thing - knowing the social stigma attached to being shy made it even worse. And I'm not the only one, so something about pricks like you still pisses me off I must admit.

I guess what offends me most about you (the several of you) is how you must treat people who truely have debilitating personality disorders. I can smile a little at being called an aspie - you don't know shit. But I guess I flash back to being a kid and how it felt knowing that what was fun for me (being alone sometimes) made me so different than most people. But this is how you are now, as an adult? I wonder what you were like as a kid, probably picked on the wierdos, huh? Called them names? What kind of douche intends to come back to this thread so you can apparently reread it again and laugh some more some day? You sound totally normal dude, totally normal. How lucky for you!

But I stand by what I said - my introverted tendancies were a plus in law school.
Last edited by NotMyRealName09 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:58 pm

TheRedMamba wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:No, you missed the part where I said I had my normal friends and fiancee (now wife). I had my life established before I went to law school (though I didn't tailgate as much 1L year). My post was focused on law school socializing.

And asbergers - no, but if there is a checklist for autism, I might have like 60% of the symptoms. Can't stand ticking clocks in silent rooms, or noises while I need silence generally, I excel to the extreme with certain things (fortunately for me, one was law school), but damn will I do poorly if I'm not interested. I don't like people. But with respect, you know nothing of me, how I am at parties, or my social life in general. I'm an expert drinker - a trait with its inherent pluses and minuses.

I make no excuses, but predatory? That's not a fair inference from what I wrote (did you miss the satire? And where did I say I banged those sluts?). I simply dominated my peers academically - but none of them knew it, because I never revealed my class rank or grades to anyone in law school, because I didn't do it for acclaim, I did it for me. I've said it before here, and I'll repeat it here - your grade depends on your peers doing worse, so fuck them. If law school grades were structured collaboratively, I wouldn't have done as well. But that isn't my fault.

And as a digression, let me add this - being introverted does not necessarily mean social anxiety - maybe I had it as a teenager when I did not know how to win over the girl I was crushing on, but that faded as I matured. And since we're discussing, I partied fucking hard in high school, maybe even harder than undergrad - when I ran into highschool peers who didn't party in highschool, those were the ones who got swept away in undergrad. Think the catholic school girl who turns out to be a slut. Keep it bottled up, freedom carries them away.

I discovered something about myself during the OCI / call back process - I'm far better at socializing than I ever gave myself credit for (thank you MSU social scene). The thing is, I don't need it (socializing, validation of others) to be happy, but shit is that necessary to have a successful legal career at a high level. But damn was I surprised when one OCI interviewer told me, quite frankly, "look, you're going to get a lot of offers based on how you interview, so look to the firm culture, whether people have their office doors open, refer to their secretaries by first name, etc." Being good looking doesn't hurt.....

So with respect, don't insult me for being honest. OP asked if not drunk foolin' was a bad idea. I said no, and I justified my response. Why does that bother you? (That's rhetorical - I don't care why it bothers you - or maybe I did, because that was personal).

you fucking lose.

Blow me. Six figures softens your insults.

Postby 20130312 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:06 pm

That deserves a QFP as well.

NotMyRealName09 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Thank you all for your contributions to this thread. Now when someone asks what we mean by aspie law students, I can link to here. Gonna QFP my faves:

You sound like a kind person with a warm heart, truely a king among men. And if what I wrote made you laugh (even if the laughter of a snide asshole), great! You wouldn't be the first person to note that my outlook on things is different, as if I was unaware. But that somehow makes me ill, or mentally deficient? I said it, and I meant it, and despite your derision I don't feel bad about it - I don't really like people (yes, there are people like this), I don't need them to be happy (generally, but everyone needs romance). Introversion happens.

My style and attitude have taken me far in life - and this got way off topic, but whatever, I want to lay this out, since you fucks made this personal. Frankly, asshole, being introverted was something I had to struggle with to overcome as I matured. Being the shy brilliant little kid who didn't like socializing wasn't as fun as it sounds believe it or not, people being social creatures and all. I didn't want to be a lonely little nerd (or at least, I didn't want to be viewed differently), but it wasn't easy, I had to work at it. I had to force myself out of my comfort zone - thus, out to parties, into boozing and all the attendant fun. I had to work on it else be relegated to loser status forever. Being a shy kid was one thing - knowing the social stigma attached to being shy made it even worse. And I'm not the only one, so something about pricks like you still pisses me off I must admit.

I guess what offends me most about you (the several of you) is how you must treat people who truely have debilitating personality disorders. I can smile a little at being called an aspie - you don't know shit. But I guess I flash back to being a kid and how it felt knowing that what was fun for me (being alone sometimes) made me so different than most people. But this is how you are now, as an adult? I wonder what you were like as a kid, probably picked on the wierdos, huh? Called them names? What kind of douche intends to come back to this thread so you can apparently reread it again and laugh some more some day? You sound totally normal dude, totally normal. How lucky for you!

But I stand by what I said - my introverted tendancies were a plus in law school.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:24 pm

I play IM sports with my fellow 1Ls, work out, and play COD. I also go to the majority of the football games here. That's the extent of my free time and I think it's a fine balance between school and play. Keeps me somewhat social but I'm not going crazy either

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”