How do I go about "Relentless Practice with Hypos"?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ZombiesAhead

How do I go about "Relentless Practice with Hypos"?

Postby ZombiesAhead » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:57 am

1L and I'm trying to follow what I think is some critical advice for exam preparation but I keep struggling with this LEEWS/TLS advice.

I have the E&E's for Torts and Contracts which have some good hypos in the post-chapter questions but of course there are are only so many. I'm really not sure where to start with ConLaw other than thinking about the questions the professor raises in class.

Does this advice just mean making up hypothetical situations and variations on cases in your head? I'm finding this hard to work into my studying. Is there a more methodical/guided approach anyone uses?

swimmer11

Re: How do I go about "Relentless Practice with Hypos"?

Postby swimmer11 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:08 am

Curious as well. Should we be creating our own hypos? What is trying credited strategy?

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:30 am

I wouldn't do relentless practice. That is overkill. It is best to do E&Es and practice exams. As long as you really understand the material, that is what counts. I got As in classes where I never did a hypo.

ZombiesAhead

Postby ZombiesAhead » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:39 am

LSATNightmares wrote:I wouldn't do relentless practice. That is overkill. It is best to do E&Es and practice exams. As long as you really understand the material, that is what counts. I got As in classes where I never did a hypo.

Maybe not "relentless" but at least "diligent". It seems like everyone at my T14 "really understands" the material in the context of the cases we've covered and I don't think I have a natural talent for recognizing application of principle to new fact sets. I'm certain the advantage for me will lie in being able to think beyond this material via practice in application.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:22 am

Often, I start with a hypo, perhaps one raised by a case or during class discussion. Then, I'd change the facts a little bit and try to figure out whether it would affect the outcome of the hypo. One L destroyed my motivation to read the newspaper because I'd find tons of potential hypos...

Also, you can get cheap used flashcards on Amazon called "Law in a Flash." Law in a Flash provides hundreds of hypos with model answers for individual law school topics (k's, torts, property, etc.).

GBPbb

Postby GBPbb » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:39 am

ZombiesAhead wrote:
LSATNightmares wrote:I wouldn't do relentless practice. That is overkill. It is best to do E&Es and practice exams. As long as you really understand the material, that is what counts. I got As in classes where I never did a hypo.

It seems like everyone at my T14 "really understands" the material.

solid "T-14" humble-brag... subtle, yet unrefined. :lol:

ZombiesAhead

Postby ZombiesAhead » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:00 pm

GBPbb wrote:
ZombiesAhead wrote: It seems like everyone at my T14 "really understands" the material.

solid "T-14" humble-brag... subtle, yet unrefined. :lol:

(offtopic)
Just pointing out i'm not dealing with TTT students setting the curve. Do people really brag about bottom-half T14 acceptances ITE? :|
(/offtopic)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”