Dear fellow 1Ls

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stillwater

Re: Dear fellow 1Ls

Postby stillwater » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:16 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Shut up.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:32 pm

In the interest of bringing together both sides together, I propose the following joint statement.

JCFindley wrote:
Dear Fellow 1ls: Unless you are doing Jillian's voice-over on Family Guy or are a participant on Jeopardy please, for the love of ALL things holy, STOP ... questions in class ...

Seriously, I don't care if you['re] ... brilliant ...
Stanford4Me wrote:Shut up.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:19 pm

LOL Semper, thanks.

1. I guess that was either the doucheiest thing I have ever typed, or I struck a nerve but either way, just an observation and ensuing opinion. YMMV

2. Northwood. I never said it has anything to do with grades. I do know some good fifth grade English tutors if you would like me to help you find one for your reading comprehension issues.

3. Rad. I won't bore you with any interviewing tips. I am sure you have interviewed for more than your share of minimum wage jobs and you know all you will ever need from that.

4. Yes, I am old. Between that and too much time in the military I have no tolerance for wishy washy answers of any kind. Again, do as you like though.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:22 pm

you mad jc
or just upset that i dont emphasize my question marks in class, when i speak

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:23 pm

This thread has delivered. Thank you.

tim.janitor

Postby tim.janitor » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:24 pm

JCFindley wrote:Unless you are doing Jillian's voice-over on Family Guy or are a participant on Jeopardy please, for the love of ALL things holy, STOP answering questions in class with like a Valley Girl that who has has a questioning inflection even when making a statement.

Seriously, I don't care if your answer is brilliant or is idiotic, state it with CONFIDENCE! You are not a freshman in UG and your tone of voice and inflection are what instill confidence in what you are saying. Stand behind what you are saying, PLEASE!

(and now I am off to work on my short memo so my ranting is over.)

Where do you go to school?

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Fuckin Boomers

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:28 pm

howell wrote:JC isn't alone in his hatred of upspeak. I have met others that have a big problem with it, and a quick Google search reveals criticism of the practice. It's never bothered me, at least in a classroom context. It can convey a lot of things (rightly or wrongly) to the listener (lack of confidence, fishing for assurance, etc.).

I rarely notice it, and if I ever do, I just ignore it. If it's just a habit of the speaker, it's no problem. If the speaker is actually looking for assurance in what he's saying or is trying to ask a question without actually asking the question, ignoring it is the best way to troll the speaker. Make them say what they mean. :D

There are situations where it really shouldn't be used, and most people turn it off in those situations. "Judge, this is the case that proves my client is not guilty???" wouldn't be the best delivery, but I think nearly everyone who uses upspeak would know this.

If I had to guess, based on the people I've heard complain about it, those that are bothered by it are usually "older" (well out of college). It's worth noting if you do it in case you need to cut it off in the presence of olds that you don't need to annoy. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, just that JC isn't alone in this.

does it really matter whether you annoy anyone? Unless you really want that RA job I guess...

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:32 am

JCFindley wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:You really shouldn't be confident of anything as a 1L.

I know that doesn't need to affect your tone of voice but you need to give you classmates some slack.

Ah, slack, something that anyone facing an uncertain job market can ill afford. Confidence also applies to interview skills and virtually anything else in life. I don't care if you think mens rea is a giant flightless bird, at least state such an opinion with authority.

Frankly, as a 1L you certainly can't be confident that you know anything at all but you had better at least be confident in yourself!

Nevermind. You are an insufferable douche. I change my advice to kill yourself.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:34 am

I would not be surprised if valley girl crushes JC on the curve.

roaringeagle

Postby roaringeagle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:57 am

99% of the people in my class do this. This is a natural human response towards the urge to be right. No one wants to be wrong. Also professors like to fire questions at you and gauge your responses, more to give themselves a sense of how they are doing than to actually ask normal on point questions. I give one guy credit, he doesn't give a shit and asks whatever he wants. Good for him. I personally try to raise salient points so the damned professor doesn't call on me :D . Sometimes I am off a bit, but that seems to be getting better. One professor called on me on a day that I was obviously tired, a dick move on his part. I rattled off the case facts like a G6. In general if a professor actually makes an effort and gives a shit, I try hard to keep pace. One of my profs is clearly burnt the fuck out so I'm gonna have to do some strategic maneuvering.

sknight323

Postby sknight323 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:58 am

JCFindley wrote:LOL Semper, thanks.

1. I guess that was either the doucheiest thing I have ever typed, or I struck a nerve but either way, just an observation and ensuing opinion. YMMV

2. Northwood. I never said it has anything to do with grades. I do know some good fifth grade English tutors if you would like me to help you find one for your reading comprehension issues.

3. Rad. I won't bore you with any interviewing tips. I am sure you have interviewed for more than your share of minimum wage jobs and you know all you will ever need from that.

4. Yes, I am old. Between that and too much time in the military I have no tolerance for wishy washy answers of any kind. Again, do as you like though.

Then get out of law because nearly every answer to every hard question in law is 'wishy-washy.'

This isn't an interviewing contest, it isn't a speaking contest, and you don't need to have confidence in what you are saying because, gasp, you probably don't have confidence in what you are saying. No 1L knows what the fuck they are doing right now.

GTFO.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:31 am

i would have gone with- if you are in teh quiet study areas, stop talking with your studybuddies and turn your cellphone to silent.

and if you can't or won't do that, then get off my damn lawn

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:36 pm

northwood wrote:you mad jc
or just upset that i dont emphasize my question marks in class, when i speak

northwood wrote:This will keep me entertained for the day.... Wonder when op will critique the Socratic method implemented by the prof.... Man Ihow I strongly dislike a vast majority of law students....

Naw, not mad at all. Life is too short to be upset or mad at anyone. Unlike you, I like the vast majority of law students. For that matter, haven't met a single person at my school that I don't like. Hell, I even like you as it is my belief that you cannot have a sheltie dog for an avatar and not be a great person. I do disagree with you, but that is not an indicator of anger.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:59 pm

You gotta pick and choose your battles. This...doesn't seem like one worth fighting.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:56 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:You gotta pick and choose your battles. This...doesn't seem like one worth fighting.

Yeah, I am done fighting it and was when I stated it was only my opinion. Obviously I am in a minority here and that is fine as people are free to do as they like. Just my own little insufferable douche-bag burden to bear.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:21 pm

JCFindley wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:You gotta pick and choose your battles. This...doesn't seem like one worth fighting.

Yeah, I am done fighting it and was when I stated it was only my opinion. Obviously I am in a minority here and that is fine as people are free to do as they like. Just my own little insufferable douche-bag burden to bear.

meh its not that bad ( hell i was a douche in this thread- and for that im sorry). good luck this year and may the curve be in your favor

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:26 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:Fuckin Boomers

:lol: :lol: :lol:

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:29 pm

ruxin1 wrote:Fuckin Boomers

SOONERS!

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:57 pm

northwood wrote:You're an idiot. The profs don't care about participation and maybe the person isn't completely confident in their answer. The tone of voice may tell the prof that the class doesn't fully grasp te concept and it needs to be reviewed. But it means nothing in regards to ur final exam grade.

Just a curious 0L here...

Not so sure about the bolded. Look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=193838&start=25

It sounds like there are profs out there that bump up and down based on how much they like you.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:14 pm

RickyDnwhyc wrote:
northwood wrote: The profs don't care about participation and maybe the person isn't completely confident in their answer. The tone of voice may tell the prof that the class doesn't fully grasp te concept and it needs to be reviewed. But it means nothing in regards to ur final exam grade.

Not so sure about the bolded. Look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=193838&start=25

It sounds like there are profs out there that bump up and down based on how much they like you.

they say they care about participation, but as long as you dont go "im sorry, im unprepared" every time you answer- and / or miss the maximum amount of classes before you autuomatically fail, they wont care. Grading is blind ( you are given a randomly selected number for the exam, and the registrar's office matches the score to the number to the actual person. Profs then get a copy of the exams to see if they want to adjust a grade for a student up or down a level. Most of the time they dont adjust anyone's grade- because being liked isnt important- knowing and performing is.

That being said- if a professor does like you- they can and may become a letter of recommendation writer, or even maybe make a call to a firm or someone on your behalf. Or ask you to become a teaching assistnat or something ( if they want or need any). so its a good idea not to burn bridges.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:17 pm

RickyDnwhyc wrote:[0L]

Get out of the Forum for Law School Students. 0Ls shouldn't be opining on law professor behavior and law school grading in this subforum; if you want a place for 0Ls without firsthand experience to speak authoritatively about experiences in law school I recommend one of the many other places on TLS where that behavior is the norm.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:45 pm

RickyDnwhyc wrote:
northwood wrote:You're an idiot. The profs don't care about participation and maybe the person isn't completely confident in their answer. The tone of voice may tell the prof that the class doesn't fully grasp te concept and it needs to be reviewed. But it means nothing in regards to ur final exam grade.

Professors "can" lower or raise your grades by X points at my school. ALL of mine have said outright that they have never done either but as said above will if you miss too many classes. (Without defining too many of course.) Your answers don't have to be right and to be blunt, there rarely is a "right" answer anway though there is to an extent a "What the professor is looking for" answer for some profs. Basically you can answer as often as you want or only when you are called on.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:16 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
RickyDnwhyc wrote:[0L]

Get out of the Forum for Law School Students. 0Ls shouldn't be opining on law professor behavior and law school grading in this subforum; if you want a place for 0Ls without firsthand experience to speak authoritatively about experiences in law school I recommend one of the many other places on TLS where that behavior is the norm.

alternatively, we've all heard this and there are a few profs who claim that participation could bump you from the top of one grade to the next, but really, it's by and large not a thing and if this was a possibility, your prof would have told you.

TL;DR, not something you need to be telling us. We already know the extent to which this is a thing.

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:19 am

Wasn't trying to impose this information upon you guys.

Just wanted to get some more opinions on it so I know if I have to give a sh*t about class participation / sucking up to professors during my first year.

The answers are unsettling, I suppose I'll just make a judgement call based on the professor.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”