Dear fellow 1Ls

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JCFindley

Dear fellow 1Ls

Postby JCFindley » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:03 pm

Unless you are doing Jillian's voice-over on Family Guy or are a participant on Jeopardy please, for the love of ALL things holy, STOP answering questions in class with like a Valley Girl that who has has a questioning inflection even when making a statement.

Seriously, I don't care if your answer is brilliant or is idiotic, state it with CONFIDENCE! You are not a freshman in UG and your tone of voice and inflection are what instill confidence in what you are saying. Stand behind what you are saying, PLEASE!

(and now I am off to work on my short memo so my ranting is over.)

Davidbentley

Re: Dear fellow 1Ls

Postby Davidbentley » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:14 pm

What if you are a valley girl?

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:16 pm

Davidbentley wrote:What if you are a valley girl?

ONLY if your Name is Ellie.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:42 pm

I will talk with whatever inflection I want for $50,000 a year.

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:53 pm

You really shouldn't be confident of anything as a 1L.

I know that doesn't need to affect your tone of voice but you need to give you classmates some slack.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:46 am

EvilClinton wrote:You really shouldn't be confident of anything as a 1L.

I know that doesn't need to affect your tone of voice but you need to give you classmates some slack.

Ah, slack, something that anyone facing an uncertain job market can ill afford. Confidence also applies to interview skills and virtually anything else in life. I don't care if you think mens rea is a giant flightless bird, at least state such an opinion with authority.

Frankly, as a 1L you certainly can't be confident that you know anything at all but you had better at least be confident in yourself!

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:47 am

Tom Joad wrote:I will talk with whatever inflection I want for $50,000 a year.

:D

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:08 am

Calling out identifiable classmates from a laughably non-anonymous account usually works out well and makes you popular.

indigomachine

Postby indigomachine » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:10 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Calling out identifiable classmates from a laughably non-anonymous account usually works out well and makes you popular.

I lol'd. :) (or at least snickered... sol'd doesn't sound quite as good...)

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:15 am

JCFindley wrote:Unless you are doing Jillian's voice-over on Family Guy or are a participant on Jeopardy please, for the love of ALL things holy, STOP answering questions in class with like a Valley Girl that who has has a questioning inflection even when making a statement.

Seriously, I don't care if your answer is brilliant or is idiotic, state it with CONFIDENCE! You are not a freshman in UG and your tone of voice and inflection are what instill confidence in what you are saying. Stand behind what you are saying, PLEASE!

(and now I am off to work on my short memo so my ranting is over.)

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:35 am

You are the master at making friends and influencing people on here Bilds, I bow to your mastery.

You could view it as calling people out, or you could read between the douchebaggery tone and see that this is actually the very best advice that I could possibly give. Does it really matter in class? Nope. Will it matter a LOT in an interview; yes, yes it will.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:52 am

JCFindley wrote:You are the master at making friends and influencing people on here Bilds, I bow to your mastery.

You could view it as calling people out, or you could read between the douchebaggery tone and see that this is actually the very best advice that I could possibly give. Does it really matter in class? Nope. Will it matter a LOT in an interview; yes, yes it will.

It's 7:52 AM central and I have already read the stupidest shit I'll read all day.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:53 am

You're an idiot. The profs don't care about participation and maybe the person isn't completely confident in their answer. The tone of voice may tell the prof that the class doesn't fully grasp te concept and it needs to be reviewed. But it means nothing in regards to ur final exam grade.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:55 am

rad lulz wrote:
JCFindley wrote:You are the master at making friends and influencing people on here Bilds, I bow to your mastery.

It's 7:52 AM central and I have already read the stupidest shit I'll read all day.

There's a lot of day left, bro, and this thread is just getting started.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:57 am

beachbum wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

There's a lot of day left, bro, and this thread is just getting started.

That's true. JCFindley may yet return and grace us with his comprehensive interview strategy.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:03 am

This will keep me entertained for the day.... Wonder when op will critique the Socratic method implemented by the prof.... Man Ihow I strongly dislike a vast majority of law students....

td6624

Postby td6624 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:11 am

well this guy sounds like a douche, huh

howell

Postby howell » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:31 am

JC isn't alone in his hatred of upspeak. I have met others that have a big problem with it, and a quick Google search reveals criticism of the practice. It's never bothered me, at least in a classroom context. It can convey a lot of things (rightly or wrongly) to the listener (lack of confidence, fishing for assurance, etc.).

I rarely notice it, and if I ever do, I just ignore it. If it's just a habit of the speaker, it's no problem. If the speaker is actually looking for assurance in what he's saying or is trying to ask a question without actually asking the question, ignoring it is the best way to troll the speaker. Make them say what they mean. :D

There are situations where it really shouldn't be used, and most people turn it off in those situations. "Judge, this is the case that proves my client is not guilty???" wouldn't be the best delivery, but I think nearly everyone who uses upspeak would know this.

If I had to guess, based on the people I've heard complain about it, those that are bothered by it are usually "older" (well out of college). It's worth noting if you do it in case you need to cut it off in the presence of olds that you don't need to annoy. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, just that JC isn't alone in this.

kwais

Postby kwais » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:37 am

howell wrote:JC isn't alone in his hatred of upspeak. I have met others that have a big problem with it, and a quick Google search reveals criticism of the practice. It's never bothered me, at least in a classroom context. It can convey a lot of things (rightly or wrongly) to the listener (lack of confidence, fishing for assurance, etc.).

I rarely notice it, and if I ever do, I just ignore it. If it's just a habit of the speaker, it's no problem. If the speaker is actually looking for assurance in what he's saying or is trying to ask a question without actually asking the question, ignoring it is the best way to troll the speaker. Make them say what they mean. :D

There are situations where it really shouldn't be used, and most people turn it off in those situations. "Judge, this is the case that proves my client is not guilty???" wouldn't be the best delivery, but I think nearly everyone who uses upspeak would know this.

If I had to guess, based on the people I've heard complain about it, those that are bothered by it are usually "older" (well out of college). It's worth noting if you do it in case you need to cut it off in the presence of olds that you don't need to annoy. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, just that JC isn't alone in this.

I think perhaps the issues are 1) tying the upspeak issue to his vast 1L knowledge of interviewing and 2) assuming that a 1L, who rightfully is unsure about an answer in class, is equally unsure about the study abroad semester on her resume

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:20 am

Idk man. I think the adage "The wise know that they know nothing" did not hit home for me until I went to LS and got my ass kicked by the curve in a few classes.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:56 am

kwais wrote:I think perhaps the issues are 1) tying the upspeak issue to his vast 1L knowledge of interviewing and 2) assuming that a 1L, who rightfully is unsure about an answer in class, is equally unsure about the study abroad semester on her resume

Actually, JC has more experience interviewing than almost anyone else on this board
howell wrote:If I had to guess, based on the people I've heard complain about it, those that are bothered by it are usually "older" (well out of college).
That too is true of him

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:31 pm

In JC's defense, my Civ Pro prof (who also happens to be the dean of the school) similarly calls out anyone who has a rising inflection at the end of their statement/question. It does have the tendency to get annoying, although no one has done the valley girl thing yet...

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:33 pm

Typical east coast elitism.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:06 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:15 pm

Shut up.