Trouble doing bluebook exercises

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
muddup

Trouble doing bluebook exercises

Postby muddup » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:31 pm

Hey,

I've been stuck working on these (roughly 160) bluebook citation exercises, and I just take like 60 minutes to do just three questions. Is there any easier way? (I wasn't able to find a good citation generator...)

Also, I'm working with a physical book...so would the electronic version possibly help me?

Tips would be much appreciated...I'm not going to finish 1L at this rate.

rockthered86

Re: Trouble doing bluebook exercises

Postby rockthered86 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:49 pm

I've never tried it, but I've had some friends who bought an online version of the bluebook. They said it was helpful because you can do an electronic search for the relevant rule instead of using the index and flipping through the pages.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:52 pm

muddup wrote:Hey,

I've been stuck working on these (roughly 160) bluebook citation exercises, and I just take like 60 minutes to do just three questions. Is there any easier way? (I wasn't able to find a good citation generator...)

Also, I'm working with a physical book...so would the electronic version possibly help me?

Are you retarded? Look it up in the table of contents. Match the format. Do it. Why would it take you 20 minutes each.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:53 pm

Electronic version of the Bluebook is very nifty. I have access to it. I personally think it is a lot faster.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:33 pm

You're just starting out. It'll get easier.

Nobenefit to using an e blue book.

muddup

Postby muddup » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:31 am

gdane wrote:

You're just starting out. It'll get easier.

Nobenefit to using an e blue book.

Thanks guys. I'm going to try eblue, but hopefully it'll get easier.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:41 am

Cali offers really helpful citation exercises. That's how I learned the BB.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:55 am

Desert Fox wrote:

Are you retarded? Look it up in the table of contents. Match the format. Do it. Why would it take you 20 minutes each.

This. Sit down and take 30 minutes to just read through the bluebook and grasp the organization of the rules. Then look shit up in the index in the back.

In the end, most citations come down to maybe 10 basic rules (font type, how to indicate page/pincite, reporter, parentheticals, etc.)

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:45 pm

Yup. I find that it helps me to take one rule, and apply to every citation, one by one. I spend a lot of time on the first part of the bluebook before the cases section begins, because that stuff comes up a lot. Then focus on the key rules at the front part of each major chapter (cases, statutes, regulations, law review articles). As you dig into each chapter, the rules become less relevant, and you have the index for that.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”