Working ahead in classes

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Robert Paulson

Working ahead in classes

Postby Robert Paulson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:31 pm

As of now I don't find the reading all that cumbersome or difficult for that matter. I know arrow said he finished all his reading and outlining a month before finals. I am planning on doing the same thing. I was hoping for thoughts and advice from people that have done this.

My schedule now is: Read and brief (I know brief) Monday-Thursday (approximately two weeks of reading each week)
Friday-Sunday: outline and supplements

Go ahead and ridicule if you want, but I am not a gunner (I don't talk unless called upon).

Gorki

Re: Working ahead in classes

Postby Gorki » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:49 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:As of now I don't find the reading all that cumbersome or difficult for that matter. I know arrow said he finished all his reading and outlining a month before finals. I am planning on doing the same thing. I was hoping for thoughts and advice from people that have done this.

My schedule now is: Read and brief (I know brief) Monday-Thursday (approximately two weeks of reading each week)
Friday-Sunday: outline and supplements

Go ahead and ridicule if you want, but I am not a gunner (I don't talk unless called upon).

This could work if you know you can do it. It would really suck if you burn out doing this by mid to late November. Do what works for you though. If you can keep up this pace and start knocking down PTs a month early, why the hell not?

Robert Paulson

Postby Robert Paulson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:34 pm

Thank you for the input. I don't see burning out being a problem (but I suppose no one does). I will keep it in mind as the semester progresses though.

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:29 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:Thank you for the input. I don't see burning out being a problem (but I suppose no one does). I will keep it in mind as the semester progresses though.

You're right in that no one thinks they'll burn out. Think very carefully about what work load you are used to handling. It's easy to sprint out of the gate only to fall flat because you overworked yourself and have nothing left in the tank when it really matters. Just be honest with yourself.

rouser

Postby rouser » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:51 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:Read approximately two weeks of reading each week

but I am not a gunner (I don't talk unless called upon).

modern day gunning :)

but really how can you handle, say, 160 pages in a night? I assume right now you're only getting about 40-50 pages so you can read ahead?

Robert Paulson

Postby Robert Paulson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:12 pm

rouser wrote:

but really how can you handle, say, 160 pages in a night? I assume right now you're only getting about 40-50 pages so you can read ahead?

Haha "modern day gunning" :mrgreen:

My reading assignments are 60 pages per week per class on average. Three doctrinal classes = 90 pages a day at most, but contracts is for some reason less so it's really only 70 or 80. Also, I don't really plan on doubling up, just finishing a month in advance.

rouser

Postby rouser » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:52 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:
rouser wrote:

My reading assignments are 60 pages per week per class on average. Three doctrinal classes = 90 pages a day at most, but contracts is for some reason less so it's really only 70 or 80. Also, I don't really plan on doubling up, just finishing a month in advance.

okay so that sounds, at least, reasonable. contracts is less reading for me as well yet it's the toughest material to grasp (for me). on another point, try to go to some social events where you will (a) not end up totally hungover and (b) have the chance to be around older students who you can talk to. you don't want to end up burned out or depressed so I think it's good to try to go out at least once per week. you just have to pick and choose those spots which can be tough.

I might suggest trying to find 2-4 other people in your section now who you think would make good study partners for later. I was lucky to find a guy in my section who goes on here and has read the stuff.

Robert Paulson

Postby Robert Paulson » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:48 am

rouser wrote:
Robert Paulson wrote:
rouser wrote:

okay so that sounds, at least, reasonable. contracts is less reading for me as well yet it's the toughest material to grasp (for me). on another point, try to go to some social events where you will (a) not end up totally hungover and (b) have the chance to be around older students who you can talk to. you don't want to end up burned out or depressed so I think it's good to try to go out at least once per week. you just have to pick and choose those spots which can be tough.

I might suggest trying to find 2-4 other people in your section now who you think would make good study partners for later. I was lucky to find a guy in my section who goes on here and has read the stuff.

Yeah, that's a good point. I will probably try to take some time once a week to socialize or do something of that effect. Contracts is also the hardest subject for me to grasp, as well.

PaulKriske

Postby PaulKriske » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:42 am

less than 200 pages per week?

man, i'm jealous. i'm looking at easy 300+.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:45 am

PaulKriske wrote:less than 200 pages per week?

man, i'm jealous. i'm looking at easy 300+.

This early in 1L? Wow.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:39 am

I think it's too much. I don't know where you go to school, but I think you don't need to read supplements unless you don't understand the material (though I think E&E problems are very helpful). I also think briefing can be cumbersome, especially if you're outlining anyways as you're going along. Don't forget that you'll have LWR, and that can put you behind. Plus, you may waste your time if your professor drops material from the syllabus (usually towards the end of the semester, they realize that they're behind).

Background on myself: I did very well at T-30. I didn't brief last year, but outlined as I went along. I still fell behind a month in my outlining towards the end of the year because of LWR or long reading assignments.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”