1L Rage Inciters

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Scotusnerd

Re: 1L Rage Inciters

Postby Scotusnerd » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:09 am

thomas7669 wrote:
TIKITEMBO wrote:I really do want to chill and stay out of the the b.s.

It's difficult (and frustrating) though when you have to be around people all the time. Plus, I'm a pretty friendly person and my nature is to make friends with people quite easily.

It's just turning out these people are high drama from the situation. I want to check out and not be involved with it, but I'm torn because I want to care enough to see the good side of my classmates and network properly. I'm struggling to find time to really make friends outside of law school (moved to a new area). I think if I had some relief I'd feel better about it.

Meh, there are redeeming moments, but there are other times when I just want to leave the school as fast as fucking possible once class is done because I find myself not being able to stand people.

Gotta stay positive and just do it.

I'm a friendly person too, but I pretty much leave right after class is over. This is partly because all the cliques formed when I was driving 2 hour back and forth every day(first apartment didnt work out). But mostly because I am trying to follow the advice given in this thread:
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/inde ... =4013253.0

I think it makes sense to network with people already in the profession, rather than the people who will end up being your competition.

Look you came to law school for a reason. Ignore the BS and do everything you can(without being a dick) to get a job as a lawyer..

Word of warning: That advice may work for some areas, but for small bars, you are playing with fire. Don't piss off your classmates. Remember, those attorneys that you're networking with had classmates as well, and they give each other work. Make sure you have that network set up for yourself, otherwise you may have real trouble actually getting work when you're out on your own.

Don't dismiss your classmates just because they seem obnoxious. All of the attorneys you're going to be working with had classmates too, and I can guarantee you they still talk to at least some of them. Don't ever come off as being smug and superior to your classmates.

Do not take general social advice for law school from some thread that everyone across the country uses. Talk to LOCAL attorneys and figure out how they do things.

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:20 am

LazinessPerSe wrote:Talk, don't talk, it doesn't matter towards your final exam grade. Just towards how obsessed 1Ls tend to be (yourselves included) about gunners and analyzing the people in their class. Your focus shouldn't be on some social pecking order or avoiding being a gunner. Just focus on the exam and preparing for it adequately. If that means you need to ask a question in class, then raise your hand. If that means you're silent and just taking notes, then do that. Spend less time worrying about those around you and you'll thank me later.

I'm not trying to belittle 1Ls. This happened to me and as I look back on it I realize how utterly pointless it was trying to point out the gunners and/or worrying so much about how I was perceived.

If the prof says they reserve the right to bump, it does matter. I've gotten significant bumps and I'm grateful for them.

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:54 am

lisavj wrote:
LazinessPerSe wrote:Talk, don't talk, it doesn't matter towards your final exam grade. Just towards how obsessed 1Ls tend to be (yourselves included) about gunners and analyzing the people in their class. Your focus shouldn't be on some social pecking order or avoiding being a gunner. Just focus on the exam and preparing for it adequately. If that means you need to ask a question in class, then raise your hand. If that means you're silent and just taking notes, then do that. Spend less time worrying about those around you and you'll thank me later.

I'm not trying to belittle 1Ls. This happened to me and as I look back on it I realize how utterly pointless it was trying to point out the gunners and/or worrying so much about how I was perceived.

If the prof says they reserve the right to bump, it does matter. I've gotten significant bumps and I'm grateful for them.

Just a curious prospective student here.

How often is this the case? Is this a school policy thing? Or does it depend purely on the professor? I'm guessing some combination of both?

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:03 pm

I can only speak to Hastings. There, of 7 non LWR classes, profs bumped in 4 that I can remember. Profs decide, not the school, though I guess the school could prohibit it.

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:06 pm

lisavj wrote:I can only speak to Hastings. There, of 7 non LWR classes, profs bumped in 4 that I can remember. Profs decide, not the school, though I guess the school could prohibit it.

Does bumping only go in one direction? Do professors reserve the right to bump down?

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:38 pm

I think it's mostly up. Anyone else know of a down bump?

red shirt guy

Postby red shirt guy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:32 pm

Last edited by red shirt guy on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:46 pm

red shirt guy wrote:
lisavj wrote:I think it's mostly up. Anyone else know of a down bump?

I got caught pretty unprepared more than once in one particular class, and I am pretty sure that it negatively affected my grade.

We should keep this a secret. Delete this thread. Lest we incite an upsurge of gunnerism for the next 200 years. I'm only half joking.

Let's start a sticky thread on building rapport with each individual Professor at each TLS. And only show it to me.

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:15 pm

When you see someone in your section reading upcoming material, say "Oh, you're doing the [insert class] reading? I read it last night, let me know if you need any help understanding it."

Haven't actually done this, but it seems like one of the best ways to troll I can think of, if you don't care about being hated by your class.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:51 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:
thomas7669 wrote:

It's difficult (and frustrating) though when you have to be around people all the time. Plus, I'm a pretty friendly person and my nature is to make friends with people quite easily.

It's just turning out these people are high drama from the situation. I want to check out and not be involved with it, but I'm torn because I want to care enough to see the good side of my classmates and network properly. I'm struggling to find time to really make friends outside of law school (moved to a new area). I think if I had some relief I'd feel better about it.

Meh, there are redeeming moments, but there are other times when I just want to leave the school as fast as fucking possible once class is done because I find myself not being able to stand people.

I'm a friendly person too, but I pretty much leave right after class is over. This is partly because all the cliques formed when I was driving 2 hour back and forth every day(first apartment didnt work out). But mostly because I am trying to follow the advice given in this thread:

I think it makes sense to network with people already in the profession, rather than the people who will end up being your competition.

Look you came to law school for a reason. Ignore the BS and do everything you can(without being a dick) to get a job as a lawyer..

Word of warning: That advice may work for some areas, but for small bars, you are playing with fire. Don't piss off your classmates. Remember, those attorneys that you're networking with had classmates as well, and they give each other work. Make sure you have that network set up for yourself, otherwise you may have real trouble actually getting work when you're out on your own.

Don't dismiss your classmates just because they seem obnoxious. All of the attorneys you're going to be working with had classmates too, and I can guarantee you they still talk to at least some of them. Don't ever come off as being smug and superior to your classmates.

Do not take general social advice for law school from some thread that everyone across the country uses. Talk to LOCAL attorneys and figure out how they do things.

Yeah, this. The legal world is smallllllllllll. Truely. Those peers of yours will someday populate state bar committees or the bench. Even today, my firms sends around emails - anyone know so and so - and people will respond with impressions, even if all they know is they went to law school together. And if you're a douche, everyone will know it.

thomas7669

Postby thomas7669 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:59 pm

Well Im in the night program at my school, so most people leave after classes anyway.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:12 pm

I find it interesting that OP deleted all her posts on this subject.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:42 pm

dresden doll wrote:I find it interesting that OP deleted all her posts on this subject.

Fucking aspie law students, man.

ChiefPresidentTaft

Postby ChiefPresidentTaft » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:03 pm

thomas7669 wrote:

I'm a friendly person too, but I pretty much leave right after class is over. Mostly because I am trying to follow the advice given in this thread:

Look you came to law school for a reason. Ignore the BS and do everything you can(without being a dick) to get a job as a lawyer.

You realize how horrible this advice is? First off, cut this "networking" shit. Just be friends with your damn classmates and don't be an aspie law student. This is the type of stuff that can make law students horrible people.

Are you really leaving right after class is over in order to run off and kiss some attorneys ass in an effort to network with some person already in the profession?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:16 pm

I've spent most of 1L hanging out at Red Lobster. Have made some great ties.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:29 pm

Bars. I need to hang out at more of them.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”