1L Rage Inciters Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TIKITEMBO

Silver

1L Rage Inciters

Post by TIKITEMBO » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:16 pm

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gorki

Silver

Re: 1L Rage Inciters

Post by Gorki » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:50 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:
Anyway, does the general bitching about the unfairness of teacher expectations and law school conditions eventually die down? If you have some perspective on this I'd love to hear it!
No, it doesn't. In fact it gets worse.

TIKITEMBO

Silver

Post by TIKITEMBO » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:15 pm

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:23 pm

We have people raising their hands, stealing answers from other people who are being cold called on, and study groups/and outlining concerns already. Yet, this all seems normal. I can only think it's because there's a much younger group, so they're used to, and okay with volunteering, not realizing they don't know anything

TIKITEMBO

Silver

Post by TIKITEMBO » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:43 pm

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:47 pm

Wow, NU is so not like that. :shock: There are a few gunners, but they're just mildly annoying, not malicious.

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:53 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Wow, NU is so not like that. :shock: There are a few gunners, but they're just mildly annoying, not malicious.
At Texas and all my sectionmates seem pretty chill still. There are only a few low key gunner (answer a lot, but usually stay on topic).

thomas7669

Bronze

Post by thomas7669 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:13 pm

My school isnt like that all. Most people seem pretty chill. Then again I usually bounce right after class, but everyone is really nice respectful and helpful in class. Hopefully it last the whole semester.

TIKITEMBO

Silver

Post by TIKITEMBO » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:29 pm

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:37 pm

The dynamics is my section are changing rapidly. Not sure if for the better or for the worst. People's true selves are just starting to come out.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:00 pm

What Tom said. Also, be thankful you have some gunners. They're not your threat.

Watch out for the quiet ones. They're trouble. :!:

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:17 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:What Tom said. Also, be thankful you have some gunners. They're not your threat.

I don't get this. You mean the quiet ones can be malicious?

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:06 pm

eaper wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Wow, NU is so not like that. :shock: There are a few gunners, but they're just mildly annoying, not malicious.
At Texas and all my sectionmates seem pretty chill still. There are only a few low key gunner (answer a lot, but usually stay on topic).
I think I am the person you speak of. (Maybe....there are a few girls who are more annoying than I am/talk more). I'm trying to talk less.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LazinessPerSe

Bronze

Post by LazinessPerSe » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:17 pm

Talk, don't talk, it doesn't matter towards your final exam grade. Just towards how obsessed 1Ls tend to be (yourselves included) about gunners and analyzing the people in their class. Your focus shouldn't be on some social pecking order or avoiding being a gunner. Just focus on the exam and preparing for it adequately. If that means you need to ask a question in class, then raise your hand. If that means you're silent and just taking notes, then do that. Spend less time worrying about those around you and you'll thank me later.

I'm not trying to belittle 1Ls. This happened to me and as I look back on it I realize how utterly pointless it was trying to point out the gunners and/or worrying so much about how I was perceived.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:29 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:
Scotusnerd wrote:What Tom said. Also, be thankful you have some gunners. They're not your threat.

I don't get this. You mean the quiet ones can be malicious?
The quiet ones are the ones who end up at the top of the class.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:05 pm

Stop bitching and 1L on.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:05 pm

Tom Joad wrote:The dynamics is my section are changing rapidly. Not sure if for the better or for the worst. People's true selves are just starting to come out.
That's funny. People took their stance on the "chill vs. gunner" side early in my section.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:10 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:The dynamics is my section are changing rapidly. Not sure if for the better or for the worst. People's true selves are just starting to come out.
That's funny. People took their stance on the "chill vs. gunner" side early in my section.
Nah, it's not really that. More like interpersonal stuff.

TIKITEMBO

Silver

Post by TIKITEMBO » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:26 pm

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:08 am

emkay625 wrote:
eaper wrote:
I think I am the person you speak of. (Maybe....there are a few girls who are more annoying than I am/talk more). I'm trying to talk less.
Nah, 2 main offenders in my small section are both guys. One stay more on topic than the other, but both still talk a lot.

Secret_AgentMan

New

Post by Secret_AgentMan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:53 pm

8)
Last edited by Secret_AgentMan on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:02 pm

I really like my section. It is nothing like the OP (yet).

We have a handful of gunners who talk everyday, but honestly, they mean well. When they talk I just zone out.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:04 am

Nova wrote:I really like my section. It is nothing like the OP (yet).

We have a handful of gunners who talk everyday, but honestly, they mean well. When they talk I just zone out.
Gotta agree. Talking everyday is not gunnering unless you're just arguing stupid points. If it's a matter of law that relates to the topic, and is solved in a quick manner, we're fine. Often I have similar questions to what these people say.

What we're NOT fine with is when you spend 10 minutes arguing with people just to argue. Had one guy get called out already for that shit.

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:20 am

LazinessPerSe wrote:Talk, don't talk, it doesn't matter towards your final exam grade. Just towards how obsessed 1Ls tend to be (yourselves included) about gunners and analyzing the people in their class. Your focus shouldn't be on some social pecking order or avoiding being a gunner. Just focus on the exam and preparing for it adequately. If that means you need to ask a question in class, then raise your hand. If that means you're silent and just taking notes, then do that. Spend less time worrying about those around you and you'll thank me later.

I'm not trying to belittle 1Ls. This happened to me and as I look back on it I realize how utterly pointless it was trying to point out the gunners and/or worrying so much about how I was perceived.
If the prof says they reserve the right to bump, it does matter. I've gotten significant bumps and I'm grateful for them.

RickyDnwhyc

Bronze

Post by RickyDnwhyc » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:54 am

lisavj wrote:
LazinessPerSe wrote:Talk, don't talk, it doesn't matter towards your final exam grade. Just towards how obsessed 1Ls tend to be (yourselves included) about gunners and analyzing the people in their class. Your focus shouldn't be on some social pecking order or avoiding being a gunner. Just focus on the exam and preparing for it adequately. If that means you need to ask a question in class, then raise your hand. If that means you're silent and just taking notes, then do that. Spend less time worrying about those around you and you'll thank me later.

If the prof says they reserve the right to bump, it does matter. I've gotten significant bumps and I'm grateful for them.
Just a curious prospective student here.

How often is this the case? Is this a school policy thing? Or does it depend purely on the professor? I'm guessing some combination of both?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”