If I could do my first semester over again... Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sarahs5

New

Re: If I could do my first semester over again...

Post by sarahs5 » Wed May 21, 2008 1:41 pm

oooh, thanks!

bowandarrow20

New

Re:

Post by bowandarrow20 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:48 am

PKSebben wrote:Yeah man. The author of PLS runs a website where 0L's run hypos and write model answers over the summer. I find the whole thing a tad ridiculous. I did like his recommendation of supplements, though. I'm pretty much a E&E guy though and through.

Anybody got a good recommendation for a property supplement I can read over break? I've got Glannon's for Civpro.
Where is this website? I'm curious to check it out haha.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:25 pm

sarahs5 wrote:I definitely plan on getting commercial outlines or E&Es for my first year classes, but I'm not sure which ones to buy. Which ones do you recommend for each subject?
gunnerrrrrrrrr
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

optimusbjork

New

Post by optimusbjork » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:22 pm

paul1454 wrote:Mainly by doing online training sessions. If you ask me, it is a waste of time. You have to get a ton of points for any worthwhile prizes. I think people's time is worth more than that.

I'd love some people who do this religiously to chime in and let us know if they feel like the training sessions have actually helped their internet research methods.
*sheepishly raises hand*

Paul knows I'm a librarian, so I hope I don't come off as totally pathetic to all of you when I admit this, but...

I religiously collect Lexis points by doing tutorials and going to training sessions. There! I said it! I actually like our Lexis rep, though. And I have an unholy addiction to Starbucks, and that's where all of my Lexis points go.

The Lexis tutorials were incredibly valuable to me in doing research for my law review case note. I would also recommend the CALI tutorials as well. There are some tips and tricks I learned that actually came in handy. I think there's a Lexis tutorial about "cost-effective" research that may be useful for those of you who are working at firms this summer. I recommend that one for anyone trying to learn to navigate Lexis without driving up a huge Lexis bill at your firm.

markakis

New

Re:

Post by markakis » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:27 pm

PKSebben wrote:Yeah man. The author of PLS runs a website where 0L's run hypos and write model answers over the summer. I find the whole thing a tad ridiculous. I did like his recommendation of supplements, though. I'm pretty much a E&E guy though and through.

Anybody got a good recommendation for a property supplement I can read over break? I've got Glannon's for Civpro.
Sorry, but what is this E&E of which you speak of and how can it be obtained?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goldengirl11

New

Post by goldengirl11 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:59 pm

I wouldn't drop out...then work for 6 months in a firm and decide to go back (only this time on a full scholarship)!

RTR10

Bronze

Post by RTR10 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:16 pm

After 2nd semester I've learned 11 things...well I've narrowed it down to 11:

1 ) The subject matter is much tougher.
2 ) You don't have much time to recover from first semester finals.
3 ) I wish I would have done some sort of Property and Con Law prep before the semester started.
4 ) OCI takes up a LOT of time...almost a month of after class study time.
5 ) The semester seems MUCH shorter.
6 ) Personal things affect you way more than you think they do.
7 ) Second semester grades can erase everything good you did first semester, or can redeem you.
8 ) Briefs suck much more than memos, but BriefCheck is AWESOME
9 ) The bluebook is your friend, not your enemy.
10) You REALLY don't have the time to take a full spring break trip.
11) Grades do not determine your worth as a human being or your potential for being an amazing attorney.

After working at a firm, these are some things I've learned:
1 ) Everyone gets projects that they don't understand...even 6th year associates.
2 ) My writing has improved dramatically.
3 ) Everyone has the grades, so your confidence and ability to get along with people (and not make a total ass out of yourself) is key.
4 ) Once you have the initial SA position, it's yours to lose.
5 ) There are firms out there that pay you well, give you good work, but still allow a wonderful quality of life.
6 ) RAP really doesn't come up very much in real life.

suite1718

New

Post by suite1718 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:28 pm

ajlrf03 wrote:After 2nd semester I've learned 11 things...well I've narrowed it down to 11:

5 ) There are firms out there that pay you well, give you good work, but still allow a wonderful quality of life.
Do tell! What firms? :D

Profit

New

Post by Profit » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:00 am

LOL, it's like everyone's ignoring the "what are the E&Es?" posts.

I'll try one more time...

Ahem...

Would anyone be so kind as to elighten some of us as to what in the world the E&E's are?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:03 am

Examples and Explanations. It's a series of books. amazon.com

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:43 pm

bump, yw

mikeymike

New

Post by mikeymike » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:04 pm

Dschinghis Khan wrote:I would log into Westlaw once per day and run some pointless search, just so I could have more than 150 of those reward points.
reward points?!

mikeymike

New

Re:

Post by mikeymike » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:05 pm

PKSebben wrote:OOoooo. Awesome thread.

I wouldn't read the casebooks so hard.

I'd put away those 10 highlighters.

I'd stop sweating the exams so much.

I'd buy cruchtime / high court cases.

I'd read the E&E's before the semester, just as an overview.

I'd stay out of the library.

I'd play more soccer.

I'd steal more treats from the Westlaw / Lexis table.
Why would you stay out of the library? Treats from the W/L Table?!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:06 pm

reward points are points you earn doing westlaw / lexis stuff you can spend to buy CD's / Books / Flat-screen TV's / homeless people.
Why would you stay out of the library?
At my 1L school, I found the library tense near finals time. It's much chiller at U of M. Plus, the reading room is just p-i-m-p.

mikeymike

New

Post by mikeymike » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:06 pm

PKSebben wrote:reward points are points you earn doing westlaw / lexis stuff you can spend to buy CD's / Books / Flat-screen TV's / homeless people.

What can you do to earn those points?

mikeymike

New

Post by mikeymike » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:11 pm

PKSebben wrote:reward points are points you earn doing westlaw / lexis stuff you can spend to buy CD's / Books / Flat-screen TV's / homeless people.
Why would you stay out of the library?
At my 1L school, I found the library tense near finals time. It's much chiller at U of M. Plus, the reading room is just p-i-m-p.
You mean the U of M Law library?

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:28 pm

ajlrf03 wrote:After 2nd semester I've learned 11 things...well I've narrowed it down to 11:
2 ) You don't have much time to recover from first semester finals.
8 ) Briefs suck much more than memos, but BriefCheck is AWESOME
9 ) The bluebook is your friend, not your enemy.
10) You REALLY don't have the time to take a full spring break trip.
Just a minor point for those who still think after first semester that they'll want / have a shot at law review: over the break or early in second semester is a good time to read Volokh's Academic Legal Writing (just the part about law review write-ons -- half the book is about writing for publication, which you can ignore). He gives great advice on how to deal with the writing competition, which usually comes the week after spring finals. You won't have a chance to read anything at that point, or to do any of the things he suggests in order to not screw the pooch on the blue booking exercise. So if you want to do anything to get a grip on this whole other species of first-year ordeal, then you should try to do it before second semester ramps up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:46 pm

over the break or early in second semester is a good time to read Volokh's Academic Legal Writing
TOTALLY TOTALLY CREDITED. This is an excellent book - read it all the way though.

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:40 pm

I bought it and never got around to reading. I've heard it is good though. :|

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:04 pm

Sup, Paul?!

silver11

Bronze

Post by silver11 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:06 pm

Which E&Es specifically do you suggest reading before 1L?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

uvalaw4l

New

Post by uvalaw4l » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:07 pm

Dschinghis Khan wrote:I would log into Westlaw once per day and run some pointless search, just so I could have more than 150 of those reward points.
If I could do my LAST semester over again, I WOULD F'ING REMEMBER TO CASH IN ALL OF THOSE WESTLAW POINTS THAT I EARNED DOING POINTLESS SEARCHES EVERY DAMN DAY OF 1L AND 2L YEAR. :evil:

For future reference, that carry-over account they let you have the summer after 3L year - you can't cash in during that period. Do it before you graduate.

silver11

Bronze

Post by silver11 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:09 pm

uvalaw4l wrote:
If I could do my LAST semester over again, I WOULD F'ING REMEMBER TO CASH IN ALL OF THOSE WESTLAW POINTS THAT I EARNED DOING POINTLESS SEARCHES EVERY DAMN DAY OF 1L AND 2L YEAR. :evil:

For future reference, that carry-over account they let you have the summer after 3L year - you can't cash in during that period. Do it before you graduate.

What are these points and how do you get them?

uvalaw4l

New

Post by uvalaw4l » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:13 pm

silver11 wrote:
uvalaw4l wrote:

Westlaw and Lexis are the two big online legal research companies. Pretty much all appellate cases, statutes, rules, legal articles and more are available through those sites, instead of searching by hand through books. Those companies are very expensive when you're out in the real world but they're free while you're a student, so you can practice and get used to them (with the hopes you'll continue to do so when you're a lawyer). Both companies offer various points for different things: doing a search is so many, attending tutorials, using various features, etc. All three years, you can keep adding points and cash them in for different items - from DVDs to camping gear to an XBOX360.

mikeymike

New

Post by mikeymike » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:16 pm

uvalaw4l wrote:
silver11 wrote:
uvalaw4l wrote:

Westlaw and Lexis are the two big online legal research companies. Pretty much all appellate cases, statutes, rules, legal articles and more are available through those sites, instead of searching by hand through books. Those companies are very expensive when you're out in the real world but they're free while you're a student, so you can practice and get used to them (with the hopes you'll continue to do so when you're a lawyer). Both companies offer various points for different things: doing a search is so many, attending tutorials, using various features, etc. All three years, you can keep adding points and cash them in for different items - from DVDs to camping gear to an XBOX360.
So if you keep using them you get more points? How many pts per hr LOL?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”