Preparing for an Open Note Exam Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LOLyer

Bronze

Preparing for an Open Note Exam

Post by LOLyer » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:30 pm

2L here. After last spring, I felt like I finally figured out law school exams, and that I knew (to a reasonable degree) exactly how much effort I need to put fourth to get an A. I was already anticipating my class rank to rise a bit, but apparently all of the exams are open note this year.

While I think this method is probably a more accurate assessment of ability than a closed-note exam, my confidence in my future 4.0 has taken a hit. Can anyone tell me how I should prepare for these exams, compared to preparing for a closed note exam? Any tips for exam taking, organizing notes, etc.?

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Re: Preparing for an Open Note Exam

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:18 pm

Outline the same, but in your outline cross reference to where to find the original source in your case book. Also, make an index of terms - that will come in handy as you say, "oh, I need to discuss offer and acceptance," then you're able to quickly locate it in your outline. Other than that, I prepared exactly the same as for closed note - meaning, prepare as if you won't have your outline at all. That is the mistake people make - forgoing memorization thinking they'll lean on their outline. Meanwhile, people who memorized like normal were pounding through the exam racking up points.

tigershark

New

Post by tigershark » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:08 pm

Tagged.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:02 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Outline the same, but in your outline cross reference to where to find the original source in your case book. Also, make an index of terms - that will come in handy as you say, "oh, I need to discuss offer and acceptance," then you're able to quickly locate it in your outline. Other than that, I prepared exactly the same as for closed note - meaning, prepare as if you won't have your outline at all. That is the mistake people make - forgoing memorization thinking they'll lean on their outline. Meanwhile, people who memorized like normal were pounding through the exam racking up points.
Completely agree with this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”