How to catch up? How to master efficiency?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
idk

How to catch up? How to master efficiency?

Postby idk » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi Guys,

I started law school less than a month ago and I'm already hundreds of pages behind on my reading:/ I was just diagnosed with mono, which sucks, but I'm not so sick that I have to leave school*. Please let me know if you have any suggestions on how I might begin to catch up. I have been making it to most classes and taking notes, but I have done virtually no reading except for torts. I have E&Es for every subject and have been trying to find old outlines online, but I'm not sure the best way to approach the material (given my obvious time constraints). Thank you so much for any tips and feedback you can give! :)

I don't want to take a leave of absence because: 1) I'm feeling generally okay, just very lethargic. The doctor told me my energy level should be back to normal in a couple weeks, 2) I took out huge loans, 3) I think it is early enough in the semester that I have a fighting chance

ninereal

Re: How to catch up? How to master efficiency?

Postby ninereal » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:47 pm

Spend a couple weekends in the library.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:50 pm

IMMERSE YOURSELF

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:53 pm

You have plenty of time to catch up. Do a little more reading each day and eventually you'll catch up. I don't recommend binge-reading because it doesn't promote retention. At that point you're reading to check off that you read, instead of for comprehension.

idk

Postby idk » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:10 am

LazinessPerSe wrote:You have plenty of time to catch up. Do a little more reading each day and eventually you'll catch up. I don't recommend binge-reading because it doesn't promote retention. At that point you're reading to check off that you read, instead of for comprehension.

Thanks! Should I focus on the casebook or E&Es? I don't have con law or crim law this semester. The Glannon guides seem to do a pretty good job of covering Contracts, Civ Pro, and Torts.

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:21 am

It really depends on how your professor teaches the class. I could have (and second semester did) taught myself from the E&Es. In other instances, the professor might choose to be more policy oriented or state-specific. Chances are you're in a normal broad-based BLL course and the E&Es are fine.

My answer is to read it all concurrently. If you have to make a choice, stay with your professor / casebook. You can always read the E&E later for review.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:38 am

You know what you need to do. Get in the library and put in 2 extra hours each day. Stay in for a weekend and grind it out. It will add up quickly. If it were me, I'd focus on the casebooks and only consult E&E's if I got confused.

Most importantly, once you get caught up, don't let it happen again. Half the battle is simply keeping up.

ap1987

Postby ap1987 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:48 pm

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but you're not going to catch up. Legal writing stuff will be due pretty soon, and other courses will start ramping up. Best thing is to get some supplements (sum & substance tapes, emanuels, e&es etc).

thomas7669

Postby thomas7669 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:29 pm

Here is what you do. I am a 1l so I have no idea if it works grade wise, but it has helped me understand the material quickly. Go up to your TAs(or email them) and ask them for a good outline from somebody who did well in your classes.

Use that outline to learn the law for whatever topic you are on and THEN read the cases to see the application. It should be much easier that way to understand. You should have no problems with the questions after the case. Also it helps you retain the black letter law more efficiently as you are reading it, seeing how it is applied, and answering questions about its application. Then in class you do it again, and it really starts to sink in. I just started doing this and it has really helped. I usually know the answer for any question the professor asks, because I was able to see how the court got from the black letter law to it's decision, and when you see that the rationale and policy reasoning become a lot clearer.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:19 pm

ap1987 wrote:Hate to be the bearer of bad news but you're not going to catch up. Legal writing stuff will be due pretty soon, and other courses will start ramping up. Best thing is to get some supplements (sum & substance tapes, emanuels, e&es etc).

lol no. OP is a few hundred pages behind. It can be done in a weekend or two.

idk

Postby idk » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:46 pm

Nova wrote:
ap1987 wrote:Hate to be the bearer of bad news but you're not going to catch up. Legal writing stuff will be due pretty soon, and other courses will start ramping up. Best thing is to get some supplements (sum & substance tapes, emanuels, e&es etc).

lol no. OP is a few hundred pages behind. It can be done in a weekend or two.

Here's hoping! I think I will be able to at least survey all the cases. At this point, briefing really doesn't seem to be worth the effort...or maybe I'm doing it wrong. Would it be foolish for me to read the cases w/o taking notes, except to note the case holdings/relevance in the larger framework of each course?

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:00 pm

Step 1: Get off TLS forums.

Step 2: Instead, read cases.

/thread.

Had to be that guy for a moment, sorry. As others have mentioned, its probably best to bang it out in a weekend. I usually will find a case brief online, scan it to get the idea of whats going on, and then proceed to read the case without taking notes. Then tailor the online brief to put into your notes after you have read (finding an outline from someone who got an A in the course is probably equally as useful). Having a general understanding on what is going on seems to help when going into the the reading, allowing you to absorb some more of the substantive issues present.

Then again I am a meager 1L and know nothing.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:36 pm

I'd probably do some combo, though I think one of the most efficient ways is probably looking at old outlines and using them as your outline come the end of the year. Were you there in class? If you were there and heard the lectures, actually reading cases won't help you a whole lot, as you just distill a few concepts from each case. Instead of reading cases in fine detail, just skim. For things like Civ Pro and Torts, you can probably get the black letter law best from the E&Es and fill in tiny details using previous outlines of good students. I'd read the smaller cases, as the supplements won't cover them in depth.

idk

Postby idk » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:57 am

LSATNightmares wrote: Were you there in class? If you were there and heard the lectures, actually reading cases won't help you a whole lot, as you just distill a few concepts from each case. Instead of reading cases in fine detail, just skim. For things like Civ Pro and Torts, you can probably get the black letter law best from the E&Es and fill in tiny details using previous outlines of good students. I'd read the smaller cases, as the supplements won't cover them in depth.

Thanks, I've been in class and really like this suggestion. Is it possible to ace exams by learning black letter law and only skimming the reading? As long as I get the main points of each case (holding, rule, what prof thinks is important, place in grand scheme of things), is it safe to say my time will be better spent learning black letter law and taking lots of practice exams?

(I would love to do all of my reading and catch up, but at this point I need to focus on damage control. I have a 5-7 closed memo due next week, but I have been so busy trying to be prepared for classes day to day that I haven't even looked at the assignment yet...whereas my classmates have already been meeting with TAs to go over drafts.)

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:46 pm

Listen man. The vague responses are because everybody learns differently. Person 1 might do ABC and get an A, person 2 might only do BC and get an A, and person 3 might do ABDE and get an A as well.

You need to quit thinking somebody on here is going to provide you with some magical shortcut that will definitely work for you. If you think you can adequately understand the material from supplements and outlines, go for it. On the other hand, you might very well learn the law just as well by using the casebook and the casebook alone. Only you know the answer to this.

If it were me, I'd work all day Friday and all weekend each of the next two weekends so I could get caught up before the grind hits (assignments start getting longer, legal writing papers become due).

Bottom line: you're not very smart for getting this far behind this early. Don't expect there to be some magical solution that will work for you. You're going to need to grind to get caught up. Start now.

idk

Postby idk » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:01 pm

AVBucks4239 wrote:If it were me, I'd work all day Friday and all weekend each of the next two weekends so I could get caught up before the grind hits (assignments start getting longer, legal writing papers become due).

Slept 25 hours this past weekend because my body needed it. Legal writing paper due this upcoming Wed. and hundreds of pages of reading due for tomorrow. Law school+mono=disaster.

uvabro

Postby uvabro » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:02 pm

idk wrote:
AVBucks4239 wrote:If it were me, I'd work all day Friday and all weekend each of the next two weekends so I could get caught up before the grind hits (assignments start getting longer, legal writing papers become due).

Slept 25 hours this past weekend because my body needed it. Legal writing paper due this upcoming Wed. and hundreds of pages of reading due for tomorrow. Law school+mono=disaster.

you'll get it done. just think how good you feel while reading because of all the sleep!

idk

Postby idk » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:56 pm

uvabro wrote:
idk wrote:

you'll get it done. just think how good you feel while reading because of all the sleep!

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

uvabro

Postby uvabro » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:25 pm

idk wrote:
uvabro wrote:
idk wrote:

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

idk the material is pretty easy - it makes sense (except civ pro). i spent forever on those 19th century common law british cases, but then realized u can get briefs online for the facts and once u know what the hell they're talking about it's just following the reasoning. it's just a time thing so it makes no difference if u read at 3 pm or 3 am.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:14 pm

20pgs/hour x 4 hours per day x 7 days per week = 560 pages per week. Increase time on Saturday and/or Sunday afternoons if necessary. I highly doubt you're getting 600 pages of reading per week from your classes. Even if you are, plan your days intelligently so you can cast aside a minimum of 3-4 hours per day studying, whether that's in between classes, before classes, during the evenings, etc.

You just need to put in the time. Stop looking for shortcuts.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:42 pm

I was 500 pages behind last year and caught up during Spring Break. It's not that hard to catch up, especially if you have no classes on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

There is no special formula. Don't bother with E&E's until you are catch up.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:44 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:10pgs/hour x 4 hours per day x 7 days per week = 280 pages per week.

ftfm :x :oops:

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:40 am

idk wrote:
LSATNightmares wrote: Were you there in class? If you were there and heard the lectures, actually reading cases won't help you a whole lot, as you just distill a few concepts from each case. Instead of reading cases in fine detail, just skim. For things like Civ Pro and Torts, you can probably get the black letter law best from the E&Es and fill in tiny details using previous outlines of good students. I'd read the smaller cases, as the supplements won't cover them in depth.

Thanks, I've been in class and really like this suggestion. Is it possible to ace exams by learning black letter law and only skimming the reading? As long as I get the main points of each case (holding, rule, what prof thinks is important, place in grand scheme of things), is it safe to say my time will be better spent learning black letter law and taking lots of practice exams?

(I would love to do all of my reading and catch up, but at this point I need to focus on damage control. I have a 5-7 closed memo due next week, but I have been so busy trying to be prepared for classes day to day that I haven't even looked at the assignment yet...whereas my classmates have already been meeting with TAs to go over)

Yes, you can ace the exam usually by just reading black letter law and knowing your particular professor's idiosyncrasies. If there are details about a case and it's open book, you can just open your book or even your class notes. Whenever I put my outlines together, I usually only had two sentences about a case anyways. At least for me, Contracts and Con Law were the exceptions to this rule. In those classes, knowing the cases well was important.

sangr

Postby sangr » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:06 am

how important are the notes and smaller cases in the case books?

if your prof doesnt mention it in lecture is it usually safe to not scrutinize?

cuz those suck up a lot of time

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:15 am

idk wrote:

You go to H?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”