Advice Appreciated, Confused Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
yankees4444m

New

Advice Appreciated, Confused

Post by yankees4444m » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:04 pm

Dear Top Law Schools,

I’ve been an active board member, but I am posting on a new name for some true opinions and advice regarding recent personal questions and concerns.

I'm currently a 1L at a tier one school ranked in the 20s. I graduated summa cum laude from an undergraduate business school at a top 60 university.

Over the past week, I’ve been contemplating if I made the right decision in reference to law school and my career aspirations. My passion for business led me to pursue an undergraduate degree in business. Whether or not I practice law, I’ve always believed the distinction of a law degree would open more doors to business opportunities.

I have no intention on practicing law. My goals are in the corporate business world, and in particular, to eventually become involved in the corporate travel industry (from a non-legal perspective and title). Many business executives have a J.D., and I’ve always assumed that with a J.D., I can do just about anything (corporate business, investment banking, real estate, or if my mind changes, be a lawyer). Although not all corporate executives have JDs or CPAS, many due, and I’m unsure as to whether or not I’d be limiting myself and my endeavors.

I am now contemplating if law school is the right decision for me (or if not, what is). I know it’s late, but I’m trying to affirm this decision before it’s too late – before the accumulating debt makes this decision an irreversible one, one where I’m stuck with law school and possibly doing something I don’t want to do to pay back the overwhelming loans. I know there are probably different paths to corporate business, and I’m trying to figure out other alternatives if the JD path is not the one.

Should I be making this $150k investment when I have no intention of practicing law? Will it help me advance to reach my goals, or will the debt overburden me to an unwanted career in law with limited opportunity? (I've read articles with two very different perspectives which has confused me more - invest in law school only with intentions on practicing and not.)

Without a J.D. how can I distinguish myself? My business mentors have a J.D., but many have other qualifications (many CPAs). I know I need (and want) a professional degree and education for my aspirations, and I always have viewed a J.D., especially coupled with a business bachelor’s degree, as a more powerful degree and background.

Are there any companies that would pay for a young employee to pursue a MBA part-time?
As I mentioned, I’m here because I always wanted this education and assumed it would be best for my envisioned future. But I never looked at it as a possibly limiting decision. If it wasn’t for the debt (or if I had a substantial or full scholarship as many do), I know a JD and/or a JDMBA would be my ideal path to the opportunities I seek. But the reality remains that this path involves a serious financial commitment, and I do not know if it is worth it for me. I’m willing to take the loans, do the work, and do whatever it takes to get where I want, if it is the correct path.

Thanks so much for your advice given this frustrating and confusing situation I find myself in.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Re: Advice Appreciated, Confused

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:06 pm

yankees4444m wrote:Should I be making this $150k investment when I have no intention of practicing law?
No.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:06 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
yankees4444m wrote:Should I be making this $150k investment when I have no intention of practicing law?
No.

yankees4444m

New

Post by yankees4444m » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:15 pm

Would you be kind enough to elaborate, possibly in reference to some of my questions. I'd truly appreciate it.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:20 pm

Don't go to law school if you don't want to practice law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:22 pm

let's start with saying that many companies will pay for their employees' education. However, it is quite common that the reimbursement (you pay the tuition upfront) is based on your grades. It's also quite common for you to have worked at the company for a year (or more).

Then let's continue to say that if you don't want to work in law, you shouldn't get a law degree, same as if you don't want to be an accountant, you don't get a CPA and if you won't want to practice medicine, you don't become an MD.

Most of those C.E.O.s that have other advanced degrees started either at a biglaw firm or big 4 accounting and then lateralled, or started in-house and worked their way up.
There's a correlation between ability & drive and advanced degrees (dumb and/or lazy people generally don't get them). Many others came up the sales route, or were really really good at back-office operations and over time worked their way up.
Also, you talk about doing e.g. corporate business, investment banking, real estate with a J.D., but, that's a bit of a fallacy. It is very hard to break into investment banking right now and in all likelihood you've missed the boat. Corporate business is a very big catch-all, but typically they're only looking for a JD to hire for legal positions.

Without a JD the best way to distinguish yourself (if you don't have any connections to give you a head start) is to be that damn good at whatever job you get and work your way up. If you can't get a decent job, go into sales, particularly high-commission / low-salary positions, which will give just about anyone with half a brain a decent shot. If you bring in enough new/repeat business, you'll find more doors opening up than a JD would net you.

From a practical perspective, I suspect it's too late to get a refund for this semester. Your best bet might be to bust your ass this semester, then ask to take a year (or two) off. Use that year to bust your ass and try to make it some other way; if you don't, go back to law school. By doing this after a semester, rather than a year, you'll be better positioned for OCI if you come back

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:23 pm

The problem is I don't know enough to answer your other questions. I would contact professionals in positions that you desire and see what they would recommend. Ultimately, spending 150k on law school is a risky investment even if you want to be an attorney. If you're not trying to practice law and you still wanted to pursue a J.D., I would think it'd be wiser to go somewhere free or close to it. Think about it, are you gonna want to be paying off loans for a degree you aren't even using?

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:32 pm

Borderline high effort trolling here.

yankees4444m

New

Post by yankees4444m » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:44 pm

Absolutely not, I am a very confused 1L and apprecaite all the opinions and advice people are kind enough to provide on this website.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:50 pm

yankees4444m wrote:Absolutely not, I am a very confused 1L and apprecaite all the opinions and advice people are kind enough to provide on this website.
Can you get your money back if you drop out at this point? If you can, I'd drop out. Simple as that.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:55 pm

You should withdraw immediately and get your money back. It is foolish to spend $150,000 if you don't want to practice law.

A JD is not a credential that helps people get into business. Starting out it will not help you get a business job and may keep you out of jobs as being overqualified.

Start packing your stuff and withdraw.

yankees4444m

New

Post by yankees4444m » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:02 pm

Thanks everyone so far for taking the time to offer your advice. Really appreciate it and anything else anyone might be thinking or have to say.

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:08 pm

yankees4444m wrote:Thanks everyone so far for taking the time to offer your advice. Really appreciate it and anything else anyone might be thinking or have to say.
Yes. You are probably out of time to get a full refund, and you may be lucky to get a partial tuition refund.

Not only is having no interest to practice law bad from a career prospect, your lack of ambition for the end result WILL influence your study habits and grades.

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:18 am

Not sure, but I feel like maybe throwing an MBA in there would make you more marketable.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”