. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nmg5211

New

Post by nmg5211 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:49 pm

Last edited by nmg5211 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chem

Silver

Re: Gunners in my Inbox

Post by chem » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:52 pm

Almost nothing if its PvN lol

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:01 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6L90oN4ppY

That's what you need to know.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:05 pm

I had this in several classes and found it to be completely useless. The minutia will be completely irrelevant come final exam time.

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:09 pm

drmguy wrote:I had this in several classes and found it to be completely useless. The minutia will be completely irrelevant come final exam time.
This. I think in a way it is trick that is especially more harmful to people right out of UG, where such random babble is often A to B+ material on an exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Klinklang

New

Post by Klinklang » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:23 pm

This case is pertinent because it reminds us about (1) judgment validity, (2) the role of the Due Process Clause in personal jurisdiction, and (3) that the constitutional element of personal jurisdiction can be satisfied in several different ways.

Constructive notice is insufficient under American law to inform a person living in another state except for cases affecting the personal status of an American plaintiff (like divorce) or cases that are in rem.

The first case, Mitchell v. Neff (about the unpaid legal fees, for which Neff’s property was attached), was void. If the judgment be previously void, it will not become valid by the subsequent discovery of property of the defendant. Events after this void judgment were fruit of the poisonous tree (yes, I know this is a Fourth Amendment term, but it fits).

These are my notes on Pennoyer, as of yesterday. Good riddance to that bearded bastard. If anyone would be so kind as to tell me that I suck at taking notes, this would be a great time. :)

joobacca

Bronze

Post by joobacca » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:47 pm

Klinklang wrote:This case is pertinent because it reminds us about (1) judgment validity, (2) the role of the Due Process Clause in personal jurisdiction, and (3) that the constitutional element of personal jurisdiction can be satisfied in several different ways.

Constructive notice is insufficient under American law to inform a person living in another state except for cases affecting the personal status of an American plaintiff (like divorce) or cases that are in rem.

The first case, Mitchell v. Neff (about the unpaid legal fees, for which Neff’s property was attached), was void. If the judgment be previously void, it will not become valid by the subsequent discovery of property of the defendant. Events after this void judgment were fruit of the poisonous tree (yes, I know this is a Fourth Amendment term, but it fits).

These are my notes on Pennoyer, as of yesterday. Good riddance to that bearded bastard. If anyone would be so kind as to tell me that I suck at taking notes, this would be a great time. :)
No

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:22 am

Not sure what your Professor taught you about this case. I would check my notes with someone else in the class though. Based on my recollection what you have written is not correct or complete. But it only matters that you get what your professor wants on the exam.
Last edited by sunynp on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:25 am

Sleep in Civ Pro

Wake up when you hear anything relevant in the 21st century

???

Profit

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:31 am

chem wrote:Almost nothing if its PvN lol
Why the hell do they still even cover pennoyer. It's retarded, useless, and makes 1ls even more annoyingly crazy than they already were.

LazinessPerSe

Bronze

Post by LazinessPerSe » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:44 am

Klinklang wrote:This case is pertinent because it reminds us about (1) judgment validity, (2) the role of the Due Process Clause in personal jurisdiction, and (3) that the constitutional element of personal jurisdiction can be satisfied in several different ways.

PvN is not considered good law. Your best bet is to literally remove this from your notes and focus instead on stuff they can actually test you on, like, gee, personal jurisdiction rules/FRCPs/subject matter jurisdiction/removal/choice of laws/Erie. No prof tests PvN.

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:58 am

Perhaps pay closer attention to the stuff your professor repeats or emphasizes.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:53 pm

Pennoyer is hazing exercise. Unless your prof is absolutely nuts it will not be on the final. Wake up when they talk about International Shoe.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:50 pm

Look at a supplement see if it jives with ur understanding and go with that. It's your first semester so your profs may be stressing facts procedure etc to drill that onto ur head, get u I understand how to read the case. Don't sweat it.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:41 am

The title to this thread is vaguely sexual

jackattack17

Bronze

Post by jackattack17 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:13 am

BarbellDreams wrote:Pennoyer is hazing exercise. Unless your prof is absolutely nuts it will not be on the final. Wake up when they talk about International Shoe.
This. Profs just want to scare the shit out of you the first week. This case means next to nothing now. Wait until Int'l Shoe and WWV then start taking good notes.

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:45 am

BarbellDreams wrote:Pennoyer is hazing exercise. Unless your prof is absolutely nuts it will not be on the final. Wake up when they talk about International Shoe.
this is probably true but maybe not the best advice for the OP. I think the real problem is that he's kind of scared by these other gunners. here's all I can say about that: listen to the questions if they seem interesting and relevant to you, and forget them if they seem needlessly tedious or whatever. All you need to know about Pennoyer can be said in a sentence or two - if it isn't brass tacks, these other guys are probably just drilling down too deep.

It's important to drill down deeply on certain aspects of your classes, but pick and choose; you can't know every fact of every case, but remember the ones you do and make sure you've at least got all the basics.

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:31 pm

What I would do, maybe if after a few weeks you still don't have a feel for what's gonna be on the test or which Gunner Questions are important or not: Just go to the professor's office hours and ask. Say "Hey, professor, there are always a ton of questions in my inbox; how much should I be paying attention to those? Also, how much of [current topic] do you anticipate being on the exam?"

You may get a vague, generic, or even condescending "obviously you should know every single word I say because I am a preftigious law professor" response, but my experience has been that, if you go and ask, sometimes the professor will be just as surprised as you are that people are asking a bajillion questions about [1840s case] when it's obviously not going to be on the test because it's just something you need to see before getting to the actual stuff that'll be covered on the exam.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”