Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
helfer snooterbagon
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:04 pm

Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:51 pm

I graduated from Chicago Kent in 2011 - I had a good time there and have a good job that I enjoy. Now I am getting calls from the Alumni Assocation. On the one hand, I got a good (sure some will argue this) education and have nothing against the school. On the other hand, I feel like they charge plenty of tuition and am unsure where my money would go. I feel like I would miss it a lot more than they would notice it. Have others given back?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:03 pm

I'm paying way more than my degree cost. No way am I giving a dime back.

Gorki
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby Gorki » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:16 pm

helfer snooterbagon wrote:I graduated from Chicago Kent in 2011 - I had a good time there and have a good job that I enjoy. Now I am getting calls from the Alumni Assocation. On the one hand, I got a good (sure some will argue this) education and have nothing against the school. On the other hand, I feel like they charge plenty of tuition and am unsure where my money would go. I feel like I would miss it a lot more than they would notice it. Have others given back?


I guess I wouldn't donate it unless the tax deduction makes you feel warm and fuzzy... Guess I personally can think of many other charitable donations that would make me warm and fuzzy that do not involve law schools.

User avatar
I.P. Daly
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby I.P. Daly » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:28 pm

Are there any benefits? My school invites alumni to attend numerous free CLEs, open bar networking events, etc., which are funded by the alumni fund.

tim.janitor
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:12 am

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby tim.janitor » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:36 pm

helfer snooterbagon wrote:I graduated from Chicago Kent in 2011 - I had a good time there and have a good job that I enjoy. Now I am getting calls from the Alumni Assocation. On the one hand, I got a good (sure some will argue this) education and have nothing against the school. On the other hand, I feel like they charge plenty of tuition and am unsure where my money would go. I feel like I would miss it a lot more than they would notice it. Have others given back?


I heard of people donating to students at the school instead of the law school. Because the students are getting screwed right now. Who would appreciate it more?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11728
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby kalvano » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:40 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm paying way more than my degree cost. No way am I giving a dime back.



+ eleventy-billion.

helfer snooterbagon
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:04 pm

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:18 pm

As far as I know, there are no tangible perks for donating. If I knew it was going directly to benefit a student in particular need, I would be more apt to donate. The whole process was kind of ham-fisted. I got the call while I was in the middle of an e-mail with a client, the guy sounded bored to tears, certainly did not indicate that he had any connection to Chicago Kent, just sounded like your average telemarketer (fun fact I learned from NPR - telemarketers cannot use automated dialing to call cell phones, they are required by law to dial by hand) .

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:21 pm

As long as they are paying a bunch of shit boomers well over six figs to write a bunch of shitpoasting journal articles, nobody should donate.

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1396
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:50 pm

Perhaps it depends on your employment success. See if you can dontate to a scholarship fund directly, I could, and did - nominally.

My Michigan State legal education landed me a great, high paying job in Detroit. They also gave me two free years of full-ride scholarship after I was top of my class 1L year. They took a chance on a student with subpar undergrad grades, who, at first glance, didn't seem destined for success. Someone saw something in me, threw me a bone, and I'm grateful for that.

I give them $30 towards a law review scholarship fund to maybe help someone like me. Cold call solicitation doesn't seem as cool or personal though. You could contact your alum association and ask how your money can go to students directly - I'm sure there is a way.

dudders
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby dudders » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:19 am

Is alumni giving reflected in rankings (other than size of the endowment or something)? I remember my undergrad sought really hard to get a huge percentage of graduating students to give SOMETHING.

I have zero desire to fork over money to my school, but I would also prefer not to have them drop in the rankings and make my useless degree even more useless.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:22 am

I am never donating a penny to a school I attended, unless I'm a millionaire and can name something after myself.

Desert Fox wrote:As long as they are paying a bunch of shit boomers well over six figs to write a bunch of shitpoasting journal articles, nobody should donate.

Also, this.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby fatduck » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:25 am

dudders wrote:Is alumni giving reflected in rankings (other than size of the endowment or something)? I remember my undergrad sought really hard to get a huge percentage of graduating students to give SOMETHING.

I have zero desire to fork over money to my school, but I would also prefer not to have them drop in the rankings and make my useless degree even more useless.

prestige fleeing your diploma in DROVES

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:34 am

kalvano wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'm paying way more than my any degree should cost. No way am I giving a dime back.



+ eleventy-billion.


Edited. Boom.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:37 am

Desert Fox wrote:As long as they are paying a bunch of shit boomers well over six figs to write a bunch of shitpoasting journal articles, nobody should donate.


Also this.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:38 am

My firm makes a small donation each year to my college and law school in my name so that I get alumni benefits. This is the way to go.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11728
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby kalvano » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:45 am

I just have too many negative feelings associated with my school, which is kind of sad because I like pretty much everyone I go with and some of the profs are amazingly awesome.

But then I try and talk to Career Services or school administration and I want to kick babies.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:48 am

kalvano wrote:I just have too many negative feelings associated with my school, which is kind of sad because I like pretty much everyone I go with and some of the profs are amazingly awesome.

But then I try and talk to Career Services or school administration and I want to kick babies.


4 Years later and I still feel that way.

helfer snooterbagon
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:04 pm

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:47 am

reasonable_man wrote:My firm makes a small donation each year to my college and law school in my name so that I get alumni benefits. This is the way to go.


I wish that was an option, however, I work for the Federal Government, unlikely that they would authorize that course of action.

User avatar
howell
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby howell » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:26 am

You can just say that you aren't giving anything to the school until you have paid off your loans.

About giving to funds that directly benefit students - does that even help? It just seems like a license for law schools to raise tuition even more. So if X students were prepared to pay Y average dollars before a scholarship is offered, then the school will eventually raise its tuition to Y + the scholarship amount. It certainly doesn't work out that cleanly, but it seems like that would be the ultimate effect.

User avatar
zozin
Posts: 3733
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby zozin » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:42 pm

Dany wrote:I am never donating a penny to a school I attended, unless I'm a millionaire and can name something after myself.

This. Unless I'm getting something substantial out of it, I don't understanding donating to schools. When you're old and part of the .1% and want to establish your legacy, then sure.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:45 pm

zozin wrote:
Dany wrote:I am never donating a penny to a school I attended, unless I'm a millionaire and can name something after myself.

This. Unless I'm getting something substantial out of it, I don't understanding donating to schools. When you're old and part of the .1% and want to establish your legacy, then sure.



True. I went to a festering TTT or a law school though, so if I'm loaded one day and looking for serious tax write-offs, The Reasonable_man Library would have a pretty nice ring to it... Nice part about the festering TTT LS is that any donation 150K and above would buy you some nice naming rights...

smittytron3k
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby smittytron3k » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
zozin wrote:
Dany wrote:I am never donating a penny to a school I attended, unless I'm a millionaire and can name something after myself.

This. Unless I'm getting something substantial out of it, I don't understanding donating to schools. When you're old and part of the .1% and want to establish your legacy, then sure.



True. I went to a festering TTT or a law school though, so if I'm loaded one day and looking for serious tax write-offs, The Reasonable_man Library would have a pretty nice ring to it... Nice part about the festering TTT LS is that any donation 150K and above would buy you some nice naming rights...


Just as a point of comparison, $100k will buy you a pretty nice bathroom at HLS.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby Danteshek » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:12 pm

I will never donate until my private school publishes the salary and benefits of every faculty member and administrator. I also expect a full and detailed financial report, including the funds that were diverted to support programs at the university.
Last edited by Danteshek on Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Should I give money to my law school alumni fund?

Postby ben4847 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:17 pm

I could think of charities that I'd rather give to way sooner than my law school.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests