Entering 3L year @ T14, don't want to be a lawyer. Now what?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: Entering 3L year @ T14, don't want to be a lawyer. Now what?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:42 pm

[quote="Doorkeeper"]Any interest in doing more policy-oriented work that a JD might be actually useful to have?[/quote

The presidential management fellows thing hiring is going on now right?

Lockjaw

Postby Lockjaw » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:53 pm

Whoa, this thread really get resurrected out of nowhere. Good thing I chose to check TLS today. Reading & responding to comments now.

Lockjaw

Postby Lockjaw » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:06 pm

MarineLaw wrote:Go to vet school! As much "situation triage" as the other posters suggest, like you said, at the end of the day you will still be doing something you hate. You need to go and become a vet.

Think about this, what life story would you rather tell your kids/grandkids:

1. Moderately successful. Went to law school. Had a moderately successful career. Hated what I did most days.
2. Very successful. Figured out halfway through law school what I REALLY wanted to do (a blessing and revelation most people never have, mind you), and have been happily treating heartworm infections and setting broken paws for the last ## of years. Yes, I owe Aunt Sallie a bajillion dollars, but getting paid doing what you love isn't really work anyway, so I guess I came out on top...

Or some better articulated version of that...

I think going to law school and staying in it is a far worse way to spend your days because you allow yourself the option to say "self, I HAVE a law degree, even though I hate it, do I really want to go through all that work to become a vet--maybe I should just work for a bit"? Now all of a sudden you're one of the unhappy masses buying "How do I change my career" books. Dropping out will force your hand a little bit towards vet school, if you need that extra nudge (and you may not...).

Also, from what it sounds like, you would probably find more personal satisfaction just being a vet tech, vice a lawyer. Maybe you should frame the question that way, would the lowest, most mundane form of working with animals supersede the job satisfaction you would get out of being a lawyer? If so, there's your answer.

Good luck!

At this point it's November, and I originally posted in September, so you can probably figure out that I decided to stay in law school. I actually tried to temporarily withdraw, but parents/academic advisors shouted me down until I told them I would stay enrolled. For the record, I still don't want to be a lawyer. However, I'm not sure it makes sense to drop out now that I only have one semester to go (plus I'll just get shouted down again if I try to withdraw).

Lockjaw

Postby Lockjaw » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
sunynp wrote:There is absolutely no point in finishing your degree if you don't want to be a lawyer. Your life is for you to determine. I would line up a leave of absence while you can still get a refund. Even if you can't take classes until January, that is only a few months fr now. I urge you to take the leave.

It sounds like you've been letting what other people think of you define your life. Don't do that anymore.

I disagree.

OP: I think there is a point of finishing this far into it, and also that your no offer could be coloring how strongly you feel right now, even if it is true that you will be happier not practicing a traditional legal job. Although it is not generally wise to go to law school unless you want to be a lawyer, you have crossed that bridge, and the reality is that a JD does give a boost in many professional settings other than traditional practice (even if it is not wise to go to law school relying on any incidental boost in fields other than traditional practice). Also, I believe psychologically it is often prudent not to quit when in the process of completing a major project or performance (in this case the JD from a top school), even if there are legitimate exceptions for someone who realizes earlier on in the game (ie. as a 1L) that law isn't for them.

Good luck.

The no offer is still somewhat coloring how I feel about the legal profession, but it's now several months after the fact and I still don't want to be a lawyer. What are some of the alternative professions where being a lawyer might give me a "boost"? I'm actively searching for alternative careers right now.

Lockjaw

Postby Lockjaw » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:50 pm

LazinessPerSe wrote:Wholly agree with Lawquacious. While attending law school without having an intention of being a lawyer is a bit suspect given the cost of attendance, the usefulness of a JD degree is not limited to a JD-required profession. For instance, many corporations have claims departments that work in-tandem with the legal department. A JD would be very useful working in that job, which would also give you a good footing to lateral in to the legal department when a position opened up. I can name several companies whose legal teams have lawyers who lateraled in from other departments or even other companies altogether. That doesn't mean it's the standard practice, but certainly possible and a good way to get a foot in the door if your goal is in-house somewhere.

That's an interesting idea I hadn't considered. Can you name some places where I might begin looking/applying if I wanted to start out in a claims department and lateral to a legal position later? You can PM me if you feel more comfortable.

Lockjaw

Postby Lockjaw » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:53 pm

handsonthewheel wrote:Also, not to be a pessimist, but are you even going to be able to obtain loans for a post-bacc and then graduate school after this? I looked into pre-med post-bacc's (if I was a trust fund kid, or didn't have debt from law school, I'd probably give a shot), and they are really expensive and I thought you needed to pursue private loans, which could be hard if you already have $100k in loans.

Just a thought.

Good luck!

That's a good point. I've spoken about it with a few people, and one way to keep the costs down is to do a post-bacc at a public, in-state school, or to simply take the required pre-vet classes there (i.e. not as part of a formal post-bacc program).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”