Unmarried OWLS

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Lady in Red

Unmarried OWLS

Postby Lady in Red » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:59 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm the only student at my law school who's over the age of thirty and isn't married. Anyone else in the same boat?

rinkrat19

Re: Unmarried OWLS

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:02 pm

Not sure what OWLS stands for, unless you're at Hogwarts.

I'm over 30 and single and at law school. Don't know if I'm alone at my school, but probably close to it. Happily, age seems to matter less here and I haven't had any issues with hanging out with a group ranging from 21-30.

Lady in Red

Postby Lady in Red » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:26 pm

OWLS = Older Wiser Law Students (the name for the "non-traditional" students' group at some of the law schools)

Yeah, agreed, everyone's very friendly and warm. But the social scene here is heavy on undergraddy bars/clubs, and I feel like a dinosaur every time I go out with them.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:29 pm

Lady in Red wrote:OWLS = Older Wiser Law Students (the name for the "non-traditional" students' group at some of the law schools)

Yeah, agreed, everyone's very friendly and warm. But the social scene here is heavy on undergraddy bars/clubs, and I feel like a dinosaur every time I go out with them.

Honestly, as on over 30 student? You just have to let it go. Just be yourself. Have fun. Don't think about the age thing and pretty soon, no one else will either. :)

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:31 pm

Shoulda done Northwestern bro ;)

Lady in Red

Postby Lady in Red » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:43 pm

nygrrrl wrote:Honestly, as on over 30 student? You just have to let it go. Just be yourself. Have fun. Don't think about the age thing and pretty soon, no one else will either. :)

Okaaaaay. :) I know you're right. I'm just naturally insecure.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:29 pm

Lady in Red wrote:OWLS = Older Wiser Law Students (the name for the "non-traditional" students' group at some of the law schools)

Find new people. There's a bunch of people at my school who are more interested in enjoying good food and drinks (dinner parties, high-end cocktail bars, well-reviewed restaurants) and chatting than going out clubbing. Much to my relief, since I didn't even like clubbing when I was 25. I only feel old when someone mentions a movie that they saw in grade school... and I saw in high school. :P

Of course, I am at NU.

ClubberLang

Postby ClubberLang » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:29 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Find new people. There's a bunch of people at my school who are more interested in enjoying good food and drinks (dinner parties, high-end cocktail bars, well-reviewed restaurants) and chatting than going out clubbing. Much to my relief, since I didn't even like clubbing when I was 25. I only feel old when someone mentions a movie that they saw in grade school... and I saw in high school. :P

Of course, I am at NU.

Dinner parties? "High-end" cocktail bars? I would be considered an OWLS, but that sounds really lame. What the hell is a "high-end" cocktail bar anyway? One that charges 3 times as much for the same stuff you can get somewhere else minus the possibility of hooking up with an undergrad? No thanks...

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:39 pm

First off, I am very happy there is no reference to OWLS at my school. Second, I'm over 30 and single and have had no issues hanging out with people a variety of different ages. One of my good friends here is 23 and another is 33. Just go out and meet people until you find a group you click with.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:41 pm

Icculus wrote:First off, I am very happy there is no reference to OWLS at my school. Second, I'm over 30 and single and have had no issues hanging out with people a variety of different ages. One of my good friends here is 23 and another is 33. Just go out and meet people until you find a group you click with.

Woah, woah, over 30? I don't think I can be seen talking to you anymore. Sorry, bud.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:44 pm

bk1 wrote:
Icculus wrote:First off, I am very happy there is no reference to OWLS at my school. Second, I'm over 30 and single and have had no issues hanging out with people a variety of different ages. One of my good friends here is 23 and another is 33. Just go out and meet people until you find a group you click with.

Woah, woah, over 30? I don't think I can be seen talking to you anymore. Sorry, bud.

Well fuck.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:23 am

ClubberLang wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Of course, I am at NU.

Dinner parties? "High-end" cocktail bars? I would be considered an OWLS, but that sounds really lame. What the hell is a "high-end" cocktail bar anyway? One that charges 3 times as much for the same stuff you can get somewhere else minus the possibility of hooking up with an undergrad? No thanks...
Apparently you still haven't learned that a good time does not always require sticky floors and bad DJs, and that when you get drunk on the good stuff, it hurts a lot less in the morning.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:27 am

just dress sluttier

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:30 am

Lady in Red wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm the only student at my law school who's over the age of thirty and isn't married. Anyone else in the same boat?

Where do you go to school? Feel free to PM me if that is more comfortable.

mths

Postby mths » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:44 am

Owls shouldn't be degraded in this way

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:49 am

f7 wrote:You can't just go an tame an owl without any prior experience.

lol. Trying to get tamed here.

Lady in Red

Postby Lady in Red » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:13 pm

I'm at Michigan. And I love dinner parties and cocktail bars. There are so many great places in downtown Ann Arbor, but the places on campus that most of the law school students frequent are...um...not conducive to conversation. Dance clubs weren't my scene even when I was younger.

smears

Postby smears » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Over 30 here. Single. I'm really having a good time being an old guy who knows how to talk to old professors. Alot of the younger kids seem intimidated just by the fact that some of the professors seem like mean old men.

Also, sorry ladyinred but uh....roll tide.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:36 am

Edit: I didn't initially know you are a lady because i didnt pay attentionl Bear that in mind as you read, but I don't feel like correcting this - some male OWLS could surely benefit from the below.

One - GO GREEN.

Two, just don't go to Ricks, go to Harpers and you won't be a creeper (the Riv is ok because no one who cares about anything would ever go there). What you're really getting at is, how do you not be the creepy old guy at the bar. And the answer is, if you don't recognize the music, leave the bar. Any normal campus with a grad school will have more adult, less-undergrady bars. Seek those out. (edit: guaranteed UofM has grad student bars).

P.S., dumb undergrads like law students, and, uhhhh, some chicks are totally cool with the older dude, but they tend to have issues. You just can't be a creeper at the kiddie bars, leering from the corner. But certain chicks will love dating the older "law student," but that is really case by case, depends on what you look like, her relationship with her father/step dad, and other disturbing, truly disturbing intangibles impossible to discuss here.

Edited: wait, you're a lady. Date a professor. I don't read before I post, I just go, sorry. However, the "creeper" dynamic doesn't apply to you - actually, the inverse may be true - you could be the coolest chick at the bar. Work that angle. Also, because you're a lady, I feel like expressly disclaiming all of this as satire.
Last edited by NotMyRealName09 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:01 am

smears wrote:Over 30 here. Single. I'm really having a good time being an old guy who knows how to talk to old professors. Alot of the younger kids seem intimidated just by the fact that some of the professors seem like mean old men.

Also, sorry ladyinred but uh....roll tide.

You're picture is what prompted me to write the above. It's funny because you look old while saying you're old and like to talk to professors because you are so old you relate to them.

rouser

Postby rouser » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:03 am

Lady in Red wrote:I'm at Michigan. And I love dinner parties and cocktail bars. There are so many great places in downtown Ann Arbor, but the places on campus that most of the law school students frequent are...um...not conducive to conversation. Dance clubs weren't my scene even when I was younger.

Yeah that's a tough one. There are definitely people in their early 20's though who dislike the frat bars (although they won't want to admit it). At my school there are also people who are 30 who refuse to leave the frat bars. I think it's because younger people don't want to admit that they're starting to age a bit.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:04 am

Lady in Red wrote: isn't married

shocker

rouser

Postby rouser » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:13 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Lady in Red wrote: isn't married

shocker

says the sci-fi fan :)