This is my plan....thoughts and advice requested.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
llachans

Re: This is my plan....thoughts and advice requested.

Postby llachans » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:31 pm

I agree with the above posters. I don't think us 1Ls are disregarding your advice. We're just entering the frenzy that is 1L and are confused because it's easier than we assumed. I agree that outlining is unnecessary this early on, but I don't know how it's a waste to read each case 2 times through. I'm not doing it for info, but rather to get accustomed to reading law school cases. I think this will pay me back later in the semester. By the second time through, i realize what's significant or insignificant, and i think there's a good payback a few weeks from now when I can cut it down to reading it one time through.

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:36 pm

llachans wrote:I agree with the above posters. I don't think us 1Ls are disregarding your advice. We're just entering the frenzy that is 1L and are confused because it's easier than we assumed. I agree that outlining is unnecessary this early on, but I don't know how it's a waste to read each case 2 times through. I'm not doing it for info, but rather to get accustomed to reading law school cases. I think this will pay me back later in the semester. By the second time through, i realize what's significant or insignificant, and i think there's a good payback a few weeks from now when I can cut it down to reading it one time through.

This is a waste of time. Whether you realize it now or realize it later, it is still a waste of time. Take that time that you are wasting reading a case a second time and go have a life. Because you won't have time for anything in two months.

Rereading a case now and recognizing a couple more facts will not help you on your law exams. The exams have nothing to do with the cases (especially not trivial points you missed the first time you read them).

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:07 am

It's amazing to me how many people I know who are already putting in 12+ hour days. Those people are either going to burn out fast, fall behind when the workload picks up, or both.

My strategy so far has been: read the material once. brief a case (rereading as required). don't go crazy.
Excluding social events, I've put in a total of about 35 hours (including time wasted for socializing/surfing the net, etc) and I'm pretty much on top of things. However, I did decide to read ahead over the weekend, because, the "just in time" reading schedule I've maintained is going to get my slacker ass in trouble if I ever misjudge my workload, or if something happens, and, well, it's a long weekend; taking an hour or two out of my nothing time to give me a cushion for the week is no skin off my back.

Come at me

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:17 am

dingbat wrote:It's amazing to me how many people I know who are already putting in 12+ hour days. Those people are either going to burn out fast, fall behind when the workload picks up, or both.

My strategy so far has been: read the material once. brief a case (rereading as required). don't go crazy.
Excluding social events, I've put in a total of about 35 hours (including time wasted for socializing/surfing the net, etc) and I'm pretty much on top of things. However, I did decide to read ahead over the weekend, because, the "just in time" reading schedule I've maintained is going to get my slacker ass in trouble if I ever misjudge my workload, or if something happens, and, well, it's a long weekend; taking an hour or two out of my nothing time to give me a cushion for the week is no skin off my back.

Come at me

Yupp, and I came to the same conclusion as applicable to me. Thus, for me, read the next week's work over the weekend and I skim the case and notes before class.

Oh, and at some point in the week I type my hand written notes into a more modern computerized format.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:34 pm

EvilClinton wrote:
emkay625 wrote: What I'm trying to figure out is what sets people apart when so far everyone seems pretty smart and pretty motivated.

Luck.

Don't buy it at all. Some people told me luck was involved in law school exams. I don't think I was lucky. I just figured out what was important. I answered the questions the way I thought best. If that's luck, then I'm lucky. It's up to you, and if you do the right things, which you'll have to figure out, you'll do well. That's pretty much it.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:21 pm

As everyone has said, start off slooooowwwweerrr. I thought I could never burn out (because I never had before), but I ended doing so at about the start of December. Thankfully, I was so far ahead that it didn't really affect me that much and I still did well. But if I had burnt out just weeks earlier, it would have been really bad.

Time spent studying towards the end of the semester is at least 5x more effective than time spent at the start. You'll get the big picture and what actually matters.

Of course, I read all of this advice as a 1L and ignored it. So do what you will. But really try to avoid the burn out.

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:32 am

I burned out halfway through exams after grinding all Fall semester 1L year. It's not worth it. It doesn't make you get any better grades.

The reason people go insane and you 1Ls are going insane is not because the work is hard, but because there's a curve and only so many of the "smart people" in your class will get an A after years of A's at whatever diploma mill you attended in UG. Don't think about the curve. Don't freak out about the curve. Accept the curve. Love the curve. Use the curve as motivation, but don't let it control you by scaring you into at a pace you can't keep up. Understand that 1 hour in November/December is worth 4-5 hours now. Spend your time wisely.

/thread

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:34 am

LazinessPerSe wrote:1 hour in November/December is worth 4-5 hours now. Spend your time wisely.

+ a million

Wily

Postby Wily » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:40 am

I don't know about the other 1L's, but I'm a week ahead in readings and I've had time to go out 2-3 nights a week. I spent last weekend at home kayaking and getting a massage and acupuncture.

I feel ahead of the curve anyway, because I'm doing the readings and briefing on the weekends, and reading supplements and chilling during the week. I agree with the 2L's and 3L's that this is a marathon, not a sprint. I'm scared as hell of burning out before finals. I've never been a "good student" in my life, I had a ridiculously low uGPA, and it feels very weird being a week ahead of readings and on top of the game. Hopefully it lasts...

Postby 20130312 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:04 am

Are supplements even really necessary at this point? The law we've learned has been so incredibly basic.

Definitely taking that advice about chilling though. Just got back from a three day weekend in NOLA without reading a single page about law.

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:00 pm

If you have a closed book torts exam, would it be considered wise to start memorizing everything as it comes to you? I.e. elements of battery, assault, policy rationales, etc.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:00 pm

I posted this in another thread, but took my first torts quiz last week (counts for like 1/2 of 1% of final grade), but I got 2/5 questions right (multiple choice). I was perplexed since I know the material backwards and forwards (1 week of classes). I talked to prof, he said a) these are what bar exam questions look like b) in the past people have gotten this bad or worse on multiple quizzes and pulled out excellent grades.

still I'm like WTF. ordered supplement for torts. plan to practice mc torts questions. I talked to him about my wrong answers, and I'm getting a better sense of how he grades. It's tough to figure out what to do now because i have an inclination to read the supplement intensely, read ahead in torts, find his past exams, etc etc etc, but I recognize that this quiz is basically irrelevant, i'll probably get better at these questions, the class mean was only 2.4/5. and obviously i don't want to burn out.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:17 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I posted this in another thread, but took my first torts quiz last week (counts for like 1/2 of 1% of final grade), but I got 2/5 questions right (multiple choice). I was perplexed since I know the material backwards and forwards (1 week of classes). I talked to prof, he said a) these are what bar exam questions look like b) in the past people have gotten this bad or worse on multiple quizzes and pulled out excellent grades.

still I'm like WTF. ordered supplement for torts. plan to practice mc torts questions. I talked to him about my wrong answers, and I'm getting a better sense of how he grades. It's tough to figure out what to do now because i have an inclination to read the supplement intensely, read ahead in torts, find his past exams, etc etc etc, but I recognize that this quiz is basically irrelevant, i'll probably get better at these questions, the class mean was only 2.4/5. and obviously i don't want to burn out.

just read the questions more carefully

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:23 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
swimmer11 wrote:This is just why I am so confused. It seems as thought almost all of the success in law school articles seem to stress to outline from day one, to memorize your outline just as early, and to work hard as fuck from the first day to the last day. Now, all of this advice is saying wait to outline until after Thanksgiving or in the beginning of November. Can someone clear up this discrepancy for me please?

P.s: Every 1L that is posting in this thread and the many more that are lurking greatly appreciate all of the advice.

For second semester, I kept up with my reading throughout the semester and blocked off the last 5 weeks of the semester for outlining. I spent a little more than 1 week on each class. I outlined like crazy and made a case summary document. I made sure that the last class I outlined was my first final, so that I seamlessly transitioned from outlining into exam taking. I took 2 practice exams a day leading up to each exam. usually, that ended up being about 4 days of exam prep before the first exam and then breaks of 2-4 days between exams (depending on my exam schedule).

My first semester grades were good (well inside top 10%), but my second semester grades were over a 4.0. I really think the difference came from waiting to outline so that I could better identify my weak spots. When you have to put concepts into your own words, you really recognize what you know and what you don't know. Also, outlining later on gives you the advantage of seeing how early concepts fit together with concepts taught later in the course

So 8 exams per class total?

Also, how was this different then what other people did? (To me this seems like the gold standard of what you're supposed to do, so why did you succeed when others did not?)

Finally, what was in your case summary document and how did you use it on an exam? (Should I be citing them, for example? Or is it helpful on Anderson's multiple choice section?)

Thanks for all of your help.

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:02 pm

Anyone have any plans for this last stretch yet? Trying to get some ideas of how I should gauge my time, and when to take practice tests/problems. Anything to help me structure my time would be great.

AllDangle

Postby AllDangle » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:07 pm

Future 1L tag

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”