Withdrawing from law school course - Bad Idea?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ryegye87
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:01 pm

Withdrawing from law school course - Bad Idea?

Postby ryegye87 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:04 am

How bad is it to withdraw from a class in law school? Doing so will result in a "W" on my transcript. I'm a 2L and I feel like I've taken on way too much this semester. With five graded classes and two co-curriculars (including moot court), I've barely had any time whatsoever to get my readings done as I'm constantly in class. I can drop a joke class that I'm taking while still retaining enough credits to be full time. Anybody done this before?
Last edited by ryegye87 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYC2014
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Re: Withdrawing from law school course

Postby NYC2014 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:35 am

Find out if your school has an add/drop period. You can drop classes without getting a W on your transcript. If the deadline has passed, go beg your school's registrar to make an exception. If not, and you drop it, expect to be asked about it by everyone who sees your transcript for the rest of your life. On the plus side, you can just tell them that the "W" stands for "Win."

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Withdrawing from law school course

Postby 20130312 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:47 am

NYC2014 wrote:If not, and you drop it, expect to be asked about it by everyone who sees your transcript for the rest of your life.


Like many things on TLS, this is hyperbole. OP, I'd say it's better to have the W on your transcript than a semester of terrible grades.

ryegye87
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: Withdrawing from law school course

Postby ryegye87 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:54 am

NYC2014 wrote:Find out if your school has an add/drop period. You can drop classes without getting a W on your transcript. If the deadline has passed, go beg your school's registrar to make an exception. If not, and you drop it, expect to be asked about it by everyone who sees your transcript for the rest of your life. On the plus side, you can just tell them that the "W" stands for "Win."


And this comes from experience? Or, as typical for TLS, pure speculation and conjecture?

Obviously if I am contemplating this, I realize there is a "add/drop deadline". Hence why I stated that I would receive a "W", because that deadline has passed.

However, I can likely re-take the course next semester and remove the W from my transcript--although I don't know this for sure, this policy is common at most schools.

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1396
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Withdrawing from law school course - Bad Idea?

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:26 pm

As a practitioner, its a major red flag for me if I saw it on someone's resume regardless of your explanation, unless, for example, it was some personal tragedy like a death in the family or illness. But even then, well, that's life, and filing deadline don't change even then. If the explanation is "I bit off more than I could chew," well, that says a little about your judgment and time management skills. I don't want to hire someone who takes on too much then either has to (1) reneg on a commitment or (2) do a subpar job. Sorry, harsh, but you asked for it. My advice? Suck it up, and slack off in your non-class law school activities, or drop one if you can.

ryegye87
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: Withdrawing from law school course - Bad Idea?

Postby ryegye87 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:57 pm

Not harsh. That is the exact information I was looking for. I'm going to continue thinking about it. I see what you're saying, but I feel as though a 'W' with success in all other classes looks better than 7 classes and straight B's.

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: Withdrawing from law school course - Bad Idea?

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:27 pm

ryegye87 wrote:Not harsh. That is the exact information I was looking for. I'm going to continue thinking about it. I see what you're saying, but I feel as though a 'W' with success in all other classes looks better than 7 classes and straight B's.


7 classes? Is that even possible? Why would you subject yourself to that?




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests