Harvard Law legal job strike out?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Now

Harvard Law legal job strike out?

Postby Now » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:03 am

If a person goes to Harvard Law and finds that they hate legal employment, will the pedigree help them to get interviews in other sectors (business, public relations, publishing...anything that doesn't involve a technical background)? At the interview I know it will be the job of the HLS grad to explain why they got the law degree and to explain why they are qualified for and interested in the job. Do you think the Harvard law brand will give the candidate a shot at non-law jobs because 1) companies can advertise they have a harvard law grad, 2) the person is assumed to have a certain level of intelligence and competence due to their pedigree?

Anonymous User

Re: Harvard Law legal job strike out?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:33 am

Now wrote:If a person goes to Harvard Law and finds that they hate legal employment, will the pedigree help them to get interviews in other sectors (business, public relations, publishing...anything that doesn't involve a technical background)? At the interview I know it will be the job of the HLS grad to explain why they got the law degree and to explain why they are qualified for and interested in the job. Do you think the Harvard law brand will give the candidate a shot at non-law jobs because 1) companies can advertise they have a harvard law grad, 2) the person is assumed to have a certain level of intelligence and competence due to their pedigree?

If you are qualified to get into Harvard Law, the degree will give you about as much boost in other sectors as a fake tan. difference being, its a $200,000+ degree.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Now wrote:If a person goes to Harvard Law and finds that they hate legal employment, will the pedigree help them to get interviews in other sectors (business, public relations, publishing...anything that doesn't involve a technical background)? At the interview I know it will be the job of the HLS grad to explain why they got the law degree and to explain why they are qualified for and interested in the job. Do you think the Harvard law brand will give the candidate a shot at non-law jobs because 1) companies can advertise they have a harvard law grad, 2) the person is assumed to have a certain level of intelligence and competence due to their pedigree?

If you are qualified to get into Harvard Law, the degree will give you about as much boost in other sectors as a fake tan. difference being, its a $200,000+ degree.

Huh? A person who majored in basketweaving with a high GPA at a mediocre school has a good shot at Harvard with a high LSAT score. Sure, they might be qualified for Harvard, but trying to find a job might suck since they have a useless major from an unknown school. Harvard Law is for sure going to open more doors for that person. (The real question is if it's worth potentially soul-crushing debt and three years of having to attend law school when you don't like the law.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:08 am

It will give you an edge in some areas, namely consulting and finance, i.e. ibanking, hedge funds, etc.

Of the 3 major consulting firms, McKinsey and BCG participate in EIP and actively recruit HLS grads. Banks also come on campus for interviews, although during SIP or FIP. Last year we had UBS, Goldman and Credit Suisse, all for ibanking positions. Aside from that hedge funds and other investment shops are also somewhat common destinations and usually post on the career website.

If you want to end up on the business side of things, a good MBA program will obviously be a better choice but if you end up here, HLS will get you the interview with the big guys in finance and consulting as well as some boutiques. The rest depends on how well you perform in your interview rounds.

Edit: just to add, they don't seem to be concerned with your undergrad major or your law school grades, as long as you perform well in case interviews or ibanking bootcamp. I know people with useless undergrad majors and/or lawfirm-unworthy-grades who're going through consulting interviews this year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:It will give you an edge in some areas, namely consulting and finance, i.e. ibanking, hedge funds, etc.

Of the 3 major consulting firms, McKinsey and BCG participate in EIP and actively recruit HLS grads. Banks also come on campus for interviews, although during SIP or FIP. Last year we had UBS, Goldman and Credit Suisse, all for ibanking positions. Aside from that hedge funds and other investment shops are also somewhat common destinations and usually post on the career website.

If you want to end up on the business side of things, a good MBA program will obviously be a better choice but if you end up here, HLS will get you the interview with the big guys in finance and consulting as well as some boutiques. The rest depends on how well you perform in your interview rounds.

Edit: just to add, they don't seem to be concerned with your undergrad major or your law school grades, as long as you perform well in case interviews or ibanking bootcamp. I know people with useless undergrad majors and/or lawfirm-unworthy-grades who're going through consulting interviews this year.

Hmm while I agree that you can def get a consulting or ibanking job right out of HLS, the picture you're painting here is a little too rosy. Consulting & Ibanking are going to evaluating you based on more than just how you do in your interviews... For example while you're undergrad major might not be as important in some instances (say if you did the McKinsey EIP case interviews) it definitely will matter if you're trying to get into ibanking.

Further I attended some of the ibanking info sessions at HLS and all of the banks will expect you to have some relevant work experience prior to law school if you're seeking to get into an associate role straight out of law school. Consulting jobs will also definitely consider your prior experience or grant greater weight to econ majors as compared to say a political science major.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:03 pm

I think it would help somewhat with policy down in DC. I don't think it would help all that much with business or consulting, unless you worked for one of the elite players before law school. My husband went to Harvard Business School and loves business but still couldn't get a consulting or any recruiting gig out of HBS.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”