Lexis Advance Issue

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mrjohnsterman

Lexis Advance Issue

Postby mrjohnsterman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:26 am

I figured someone on here might be able to help.

I started using Lexis today, but whenever I click on a case name to go to the briefing i Get an error. I've tried on three browsers (Firefox 14, IE 9 and Chrome (up to date).

Error is:
"Lexis Advance™ has encountered an unexpected error condition and cannot successfully process your request at this time. To continue with your research, click the Back button on your browser. You'll see the page you were last viewing and you can continue your session. You don't need to close your browser and restart it. If you continue to experience problems, please contact Customer Support at 1-800-543-6862. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Anyone have an idea about waht might be causing this?

anonmyuos

Re: Lexis Advance Issue

Postby anonmyuos » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:50 am

I know this might be kind of crazy, but since you are continuing to experience problems, did you try calling the number that they provided for people who are continuing to experience problems?

mhollowell

Postby mhollowell » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:27 pm

Sorry to hear that you have had some issues. Are you still having trouble? If so, let me know and we will work to get everything working appropriately.

Thanks,
-- Matt (LexisNexis)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:29 pm

I think the larger issue is why are you using Lexis Advance?

presidentk1

Postby presidentk1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:06 pm

in the short week and a half that i've been in law school, i have grown to hate west/lexis

they are way to expensive for the services they offer

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:07 pm

presidentk1 wrote:in the short week and a half that i've been in law school, i have grown to hate west/lexis

they are way to expensive for the services they offer

LOL 1L.

presidentk1

Postby presidentk1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:10 pm

i fail to see what is so funny

they give u access for free during law school to get you hooked and then charge you outrages prices once you start to practice

total BS IMO

west/lexis should cost $250-300/month max for unlimited usage

non of this per transaction or timed usage crap

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:16 pm

presidentk1 wrote:i fail to see what is so funny

they give u access for free during law school to get you hooked and then charge you outrages prices once you start to practice

total BS IMO

west/lexis should cost $250-300/month max for unlimited usage

non of this per transaction or timed usage crap

LOL 1L.
Last edited by kalvano on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

presidentk1

Postby presidentk1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:17 pm

lol @ those who fail to say anything other than lol

how about a more substantive response

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:23 pm

1. it's free.
2. all my cases work, your computer probably has HIV
3. how the hell do you already need to use it?

presidentk1

Postby presidentk1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:25 pm

1. its free for now
2. my computer has no problems accessing it, that was just the OP
3. i like to print out the "brief-it" summaries on west and bring them to class

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:27 pm

presidentk1 wrote:lol @ those who fail to say anything other than lol

how about a more substantive response

I am laughing because you clearly do not know enough about the resources at your disposal to get why it costs so much. If it were just about cases, everyone would just use google scholar.

presidentk1

Postby presidentk1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:30 pm

so then educate rather than ridicule

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:33 pm

presidentk1 wrote:so then educate rather than ridicule

Ridicule? Put on your big boy pants.

Go to the training sessions at your school and learn about both. Both Lexis and Westlaw have cool features and really useful secondary sources.

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:38 pm

eandy wrote:

Go to the training sessions at your school and learn about both. Both Lexis and Westlaw have cool features and really useful secondary sources.

which of the two do you prefer eandy? jw (1L now :( )

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:45 pm

presidentk1 wrote:1. its free for now
2. my computer has no problems accessing it, that was just the OP
3. i like to print out the "brief-it" summaries on west and bring them to class

I too hate services that summarize my readings for free in a way that I like enough to bring to class

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:51 pm

gaud wrote:
eandy wrote:

which of the two do you prefer eandy? jw (1L now :( )

I'm all about Lexis for everyday stuff. I use Lexis probably 90% of the time. If I have a research assignment though where I have no idea where to even begin, I usually go with westlaw next.

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:51 pm

Thank you :D

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:12 pm

this thread is awesome

presidentk1

Postby presidentk1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:48 pm

some of you are missing my point

its free FOR NOW

but after law school it's extremely expensive

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:55 pm

presidentk1 wrote:some of you are missing my point

its free FOR NOW

Shocking that a service provider, you know, charges for their service. No one says you have to use it, but it's not that expensive. As with other things, you don't know what you're talking about.

The cost of a subscription is based on the amount of licenses you want and what you want to access. So if you're a solo who only needs access to state cases and no secondary sources, it's pretty reasonable. If you're a 400-attorney firm and every associate and paralegal gets access with an unlimited subscription, it costs a lot more.

presidentk1

Postby presidentk1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:03 pm

kalvano wrote:

its free FOR NOW

Shocking that a service provider, you know, charges for their service. No one says you have to use it, but it's not that expensive. As with other things, you don't know what you're talking about.

The cost of a subscription is based on the amount of licenses you want and what you want to access. So if you're a solo who only needs access to state cases and no secondary sources, it's pretty reasonable. If you're a 400-attorney firm and every associate and paralegal gets access with an unlimited subscription, it costs a lot more.

you're first sentence is useless, i never suggested that they should charge, i just said that their prices seem unreasonable given the service they are providing

and even at the solo level (which ironically you site as an example, but they tend to be the most vocal about the issue), it can cost thousands of dollars a month for access

the web is flooded w/ solo's posting on blogs, forums, etc about how databases (esp. west) can be prohibitively expensive.

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:07 pm

presidentk1 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

its free FOR NOW

you're first sentence is useless, i never suggested that they should charge, i just said that their prices seem unreasonable given the service they are providing

and even at the solo level (which ironically you site as an example, but they tend to be the most vocal about the issue), it can cost thousands of dollars a month for access

the web is flooded w/ solo's posting on blogs, forums, etc about how databases (esp. west) can be prohibitively expensive.

English your second language, bro?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:09 pm

presidentk1 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

its free FOR NOW

So I can see that, as with other things, you've already made your mind up and that's the way it is. Even though you're wrong.

I talked to the West rep and was told about $500 - $600 a month for single license with unlimited access to Texas state cases and associated court documents. Expensive, but hardly thousands.

Regardless, who cares? It's their service and they can charge whatever they want. Don't like it? Don't pay for it.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:14 pm

kalvano wrote:So I can see that, as with other things, you've already made your mind up and that's the way it is. Even though you're wrong.

I talked to the West rep and was told about $500 - $600 a month for single license with unlimited access to Texas state cases and associated court documents. Expensive, but hardly thousands.

Regardless, who cares? It's their service and they can charge whatever they want. Don't like it? Don't pay for it.

But they
presidentk1 wrote:get you hooked

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”