Studying differently for different types of tests? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
autotelic

New

Studying differently for different types of tests?

Post by autotelic » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:14 pm

I think I read something about this in a "Success in Law School" post, but I couldn't find a reference to it in the handful I just read. If you know what I'm talking about, please direct me there.

I would like to know the best ways to approach studying/outlining depending on the type of exam I have (take-home, closed-note, or open-note).

LSATNightmares

Silver

Re: Studying differently for different types of tests?

Post by LSATNightmares » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:36 pm

It's really not all that different. I did an 8-hour open-book take home, a timed in-class class with outlines, a time closed-book exam, and a multiple choice exam. Basically, you just need to know black letter law and how to argue both sides (i.e. find the "fork" in the law and facts). However, a key skill with closed book exams, and something that I'm horrible at, is being able to think of a case/point off the top of your head and not being able to look at your notes. When you cover 200 cases, and you see a fact pattern, it can be hard to spot an issue and make an analogy to a case without checking a cheat sheet or anything. Some people naturally can think of things on the spot, but I think I would have benefited from having a mental check list and practicing running through it in my head.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”