Becoming a high school teacher after law school**?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Miller32

Re: Becoming a high school teacher after law school**?

Postby Miller32 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:53 pm

The point I'm taking away from this thread is that people will bitch about whatever career they choose.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:56 pm

Miller32 wrote:The point I'm taking away from this thread is that people will bitch about whatever career they choose.

Especially law students. They flame about how law school takes 80 hours a week and it's so AWFUL. Even the egregious gunners only work like 50 hours a week. Normal gunners under 40.

So I'm sure teachers work over 40 hours a week by law student standards.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Also, get used to having your day being timed down to the minute, and having to get a teacher to cover your class so you can go to the goddamn pisser. :|

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:53 pm

What is this shit where a teacher who works more than 40 hours a week is doing it wrong? At least here in Texas, most districts require you to be at school 40 hours a week, and that's mainly class time. If you teach anything other than kindergarten, you're going to work a good bit more just because there is stuff to grade, copy, lesson plans to prepare, etc.

janicesued

Postby janicesued » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:06 pm

Well, what a selfish idea.

First, think of the disservice you would be doing to our youth to have someone who has not interest in teaching, be their teacher.

Second, there is no such thing as loan forgiveness for teachers in the history field, so get over this whole idea of getting away scott-free.

Third, I know the media makes it out as if teachers work 5 hours a day and have months off, but the reality check is... Yesterday I worked from 7am to 630 pm. Then, went home, and worked on my computer for 2 more hours... and I am a teacher in the subject you claim you want to teach. I know very few teachers who work the hours you think you want to work (only the really bad ones), and in today's changing educational climate, those teachers are not lasting.

Fourth, the kids know who really cares about them. I get the sense you don't, and they probably will too (so they will eat you alive).

Let people who are passionate about teaching - teach. Please do us all a favor and find something else.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:24 pm

janicesued wrote:Second, there is no such thing as loan forgiveness for teachers in the history field, so get over this whole idea of getting away scott-free.

Check ur IBR knowledge.

clintone88

Postby clintone88 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:06 pm

Also prepare to have high school students make fun of you for resorting to teaching after going to law school. We did at my high school.

spaceman82

Postby spaceman82 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:46 am

worldtraveler wrote:Get a job teaching English at a university in Korea or China. You'd work 30 hours a week tops for about 7 months a year.

Would the TS qualify for loan forgiveness doing that type of work? If so, it isn't a terrible idea.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:59 am

janicesued wrote:Well, what a selfish idea.

First, think of the disservice you would be doing to our youth to have someone who has not interest in teaching, be their teacher.

Second, there is no such thing as loan forgiveness for teachers in the history field, so get over this whole idea of getting away scott-free.

Third, I know the media makes it out as if teachers work 5 hours a day and have months off, but the reality check is... Yesterday I worked from 7am to 630 pm. Then, went home, and worked on my computer for 2 more hours... and I am a teacher in the subject you claim you want to teach. I know very few teachers who work the hours you think you want to work (only the really bad ones), and in today's changing educational climate, those teachers are not lasting.

Fourth, the kids know who really cares about them. I get the sense you don't, and they probably will too (so they will eat you alive).

Let people who are passionate about teaching - teach. Please do us all a favor and find something else.

How do I reach these keeeeeeds?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”