OCI, what the heck? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rayiner

Platinum

Re: OCI, what the heck?

Post by rayiner » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:08 pm

lawbreaker wrote:I feel like the logic in this forum is slightly off. Sheffield didn't exchange a scholarship for 25 screeners and 2 callbacks. He or she could have had that (or better) at a tier 2 school. I go to a second tier school (which is now technically third tier) in Philly and did about 25 screeners and 9 callbacks last year. 0Ls shouldn't assume there is a direct correlation between school rank and interviews. It all depends on your target market and I personally think if you do extremely well at any school you'll be set as long as you're relatively normal.
You almost certainly had extremely good grades. Sheffield did not. How many callbacks were people around the median at your school getting? Also: of people in the top 10%, how many are working at V10-type firms, doing federal clerkships, etc?

If you do extremely well at a Tier 2, you'll probably get big law. If you do extremely well at a T14, you'll probably have your pick of top big law firms. If you do extremely well at HYS, you'll have your pick of COA clerkships and elite boutiques paying above-market. It's not all the same, even for people who end up top 5-10% in their class.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:23 pm

EvilClinton wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:
ambiTTTTion wrote:Why is it surprising that some people get a ton of callback while others only get 1-2 if any? Each interview is a discrete event, therefore if you are great, you get it, if not, no callback. Being 60% as good as someone else will not yield 60% of the callbacks that the other person received, since they were only 60% as good in each individual interview.
LOL at thinking what happens in a screening interview matters.
Um, it does. Don't spread dumb ideas.
If it is a lottery selected interview then I really don't think it does. At that point you can only screw it up. No matter what your connection is with the interviewer, if they don't like what is on the transcript/resume you aren't getting a call back.

That is the reality of ITE.
Are you an 0L/1L? you really should not be giving any advice here.

EvilClinton

Bronze

Post by EvilClinton » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:01 am

f0bolous wrote:Are you an 0L/1L? you really should not be giving any advice here.
No.

Sheffield

Bronze

Post by Sheffield » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:46 pm

rayiner wrote:You have to wait for things to shake out, man.
Great advice. Thanks.

I still reside in the in famine zone but I did pick up an invite yesterday. Several firms have been silent, so hope exists. I had several screener interviews yesterday and three later on today (so yes, waiting for things to shake out). A screener on Friday cancelled her 20 minute live screening and turned it into a 45 minute phone screening (perhaps a good sign, but no way to really tell until the verdict is known).

Edit: Not surprising but FWIW none of the callbacks are from NYC Big Law. Simple Conclusion: It is about grades, interviewing not so much.

Question for those how have been through the process: How do CB interviews differ from screener interviews?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:00 pm

Sheffield wrote:

Edit: Not surprising but FWIW none of the callbacks are from NYC Big Law. Simple Conclusion: It is about grades, interviewing not so much.
It is mostly about grades, with most firms, most of the time. But the right interview (this is viewed from the interviewer's perspective, plus luck) can also get you some surprises. I would admit that it does not happen quite as frequently as one would like.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sheffield

Bronze

Post by Sheffield » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:31 am

Agreed.

The now question. . .how does this all play out at the CB? Is the CB mostly about fit, likeability, etc. and not just because the candidate wooed the screener. Since I have limited CBs, the opportunity to experiment doesn’t exist! Suggestions are always welcomed!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:02 pm

Sheffield wrote:Agreed.

The now question. . .how does this all play out at the CB? Is the CB mostly about fit, likeability, etc. and not just because the candidate wooed the screener. Since I have limited CBs, the opportunity to experiment doesn’t exist! Suggestions are always welcomed!
It shouldn't impact how you approach your callback. You need to give it your all at every callback. While fit matters more at the callback stage, don't think that your grades won't e evaluated again.

EvilClinton

Bronze

Post by EvilClinton » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:08 pm

I would go with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2af_vfaE5c

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:14 pm

So far, I have been on only 5 CBs so I am by no means an expert, but from my experience, it's this: a callback is a series of 5-7 more "screeners" in rapid succession. The key is going to be a mix of keeping the energy way, way up (which can be hard to do by the time you get to the 4th or fifth attorney of the day), being really knowledgeable about the firm and why you want to be there, your numbers and resume (to an extent), and then of course, some luck, since you'll just naturally gel well with some people better than with others, and you can't know who your competition is, or how many spots are available. I went to a recent callback where 7 other people showed up at the same time, for 1 (ONE) slot. In a situation such as that, you can be an excellent interviewee and still not get the position.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sheffield

Bronze

Post by Sheffield » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:07 pm

I thank you for your insight, you summed it up very well. Other than how long did it take you to hear back from the firms you interviewed with, I really do not know what more to ask.

All I can add is that on the first CB I understand that I will be meeting with five lawyers (possibly partners). I am guessing that there is no way to know if it is five meetings or some kind of group configuration until it happens. Thx again.

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:25 pm

As long as everyone is talking/complaining about OCI, I figured I'd throw my own situation in here to get some opinions.

I only had 4 OCI's (all last week - Wednesday and Thursday). I'm top 10%, mid-T2, Law Journal, good summer job/experience. No callbacks to this point, and I assume that means I'm out of luck. I'm just confused because people received rejections from some of these firms a day or two after the interview, and I have yet to hear anything at all from those same firms. I quadruple checked the email/address/phone on my resume, and they're all correct. Is there a such thing as keeping people on "reserve"? ...It's just strange that I haven't heard from ANY of the 4.. I'd expect that at least one or two rejections would have come in by now.

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:20 pm

Sheffield wrote:I thank you for your insight, you summed it up very well. Other than how long did it take you to hear back from the firms you interviewed with, I really do not know what more to ask.

All I can add is that on the first CB I understand that I will be meeting with five lawyers (possibly partners). I am guessing that there is no way to know if it is five meetings or some kind of group configuration until it happens. Thx again.
I can almost guarantee it will be 5 individual interviews.

I got one offer 5 days after the CB, and another offer the day after the CB. Got a ding 5 days after another callback, and silence on the other two. (tbf, one CB was yesterday.)

golfnut15

New

Post by golfnut15 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:45 am

SixStrings11 wrote:As long as everyone is talking/complaining about OCI, I figured I'd throw my own situation in here to get some opinions.

I only had 4 OCI's (all last week - Wednesday and Thursday). I'm top 10%, mid-T2, Law Journal, good summer job/experience. No callbacks to this point, and I assume that means I'm out of luck. I'm just confused because people received rejections from some of these firms a day or two after the interview, and I have yet to hear anything at all from those same firms. I quadruple checked the email/address/phone on my resume, and they're all correct. Is there a such thing as keeping people on "reserve"? ...It's just strange that I haven't heard from ANY of the 4.. I'd expect that at least one or two rejections would have come in by now.
i'm kind of in the same boat. High T2, top 15%, law review, moot court and a summer externship with a federal judge who published one of the opinions I wrote and I've heard a ton of silence since my screeners last week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”