Book help

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
genny3

Book help

Postby genny3 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:28 am

I was directed to this forum by someone who thought you guys would be more knowledgable about this than the posters on a different college forum.

I'm taking a college course that uses a textbook called Criminal Procedure and the Constitution by Israel, Kamisar, LaFave, and King. The difference in price between the 2011 and 2012 versions is about $80. I emailed my professor and asked if the 2011 version would be fine but received no answer. Do you guys think there would be any huge differences between the textbooks? I can't imagine that the content would change that much.

Eugenie Danglars

Re: Book help

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:17 pm

genny3 wrote:I was directed to this forum by someone who thought you guys would be more knowledgable about this than the posters on a different college forum.

I'm taking a college course that uses a textbook called Criminal Procedure and the Constitution by Israel, Kamisar, LaFave, and King. The difference in price between the 2011 and 2012 versions is about $80. I emailed my professor and asked if the 2011 version would be fine but received no answer. Do you guys think there would be any huge differences between the textbooks? I can't imagine that the content would change that much.

Generally, using a textbook that's one edition back is ok. It requires a little extra work but any new cases can be found online, and if youfind the notes in the book useful, you can copy or scan them from the library's current edition. I've found it easiest to photocopy the current edition's ToC at the beginning of the class so you can cross reference the page numbers in the syllabus easily.

LAWYER2

Re: Book help

Postby LAWYER2 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:14 pm

Yea, I wouldn't sweat it.
I've stopped buying textbooks all-together unless I determine that I absolutely need em! Learned my lesson by spending over $400 on Evidence books this summer and the Prof. never even picked the book up, never said one word about one chapter in the book!
Textbooks are a rip-off! Hell, I knew that from undergrad, but for some strange reason I thought it would be different in LS, LOL

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”