Orientation related

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
piccolittle

Re: Dropping out

Postby piccolittle » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:42 pm

It was only the first day of orientation... Are you sure? If anything, ask the school for a leave of absence. They're really good about it and it will save you the trouble later if you want to give it another shot :) we can put you in touch with public interest oriented students at CLS if that's what you're worried about. In any case, good luck!
Last edited by piccolittle on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:48 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:
KevinP wrote:Im serious. I had a shitton of doubts and decided to at least give it one final shot. I have a useful UG major so im not worried about finding a job.

@pink: I would but if i leave now i wont have to owe any money.

oh darlin, just leave now if you really want to, and you're prone to depression. you'll still be welcomed here.

Dropping out is the right call here. Don't let anyone talk you out of it. Please keep posting on TLS though . As you can see people here have your back.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:32 pm

Last edited by KevinP on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

inthebeginning

Postby inthebeginning » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:35 pm

Ask to defer a year. Keep your options open and its still early enough.

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:48 pm

Damn KevinP.. I remember being in the LSAT study group thread with you. I know how much work you put into it and it'd suck to see you give up so easily. If you're sure you don't want to be a lawyer then drop out, but please just don't drop out because you're scared. You've put so much into it already

Postby 071816 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:08 pm

In all seriousness, I would keep your options open in case you change your mind. Requesting a deferral is probably the way to go for now.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:39 pm

I don't think deferring would do much because Kev doesn't like "the law" and its people (i don't blame him). Kev, you have to be happy, as I told you earlier - so I support your return to your true calling.

Also, can we further discuss (just for the sake of keeping the thread going, aka the lulz) CLS being an unwelcoming douche-fest to our friend Kevin and NYC being a shithole inhabited by dicks?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:41 pm

99.9luft wrote:Also, can we further discuss (just for the sake of keeping the thread going, aka the lulz) CLS being an unwelcoming douche-fest to our friend Kevin and NYC being a shithole inhabited by dicks?

it's no paris

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:44 pm

In all seriousness OP, if you need someone to talk to about this I would be happy to lend an ear and a cup of coffee. I have had an amazing experience so far at CLS (current 2L) and I really hate to hear that you aren't liking it already and haven't connected with your classmates. Feel free to PM me.

indigomachine

Postby indigomachine » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:11 pm

99.9luft wrote:I don't think deferring would do much because Kev doesn't like "the law" and its people (i don't blame him). Kev, you have to be happy, as I told you earlier - so I support your return to your true calling.

Also, can we further discuss (just for the sake of keeping the thread going, aka the lulz) CLS being an unwelcoming douche-fest to our friend Kevin and NYC being a shithole inhabited by dicks?

Hey! :(

Anyways, if deferring doesn't commit him (no idea on this), I don't see the harm in doing it. Though, like I said before, it sounds like dropping out is probably the way to go in this case, if there's no commitment, I don't see the point in throwing out options just for the sake of it?

sknight323

Postby sknight323 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:00 am

OP is probably a huge dbag.

L’Étranger

Postby L’Étranger » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:49 am

KevinP wrote:It wasnt law students being dbaggy that ruined it for me. I have depression issues, left a good job, am aspie as fuck, and dont want to take out a shitton of debt when I could go back to a job that pays hella nicely while doing what I love.

What? Why in hell did you apply to law school in the first place? You may benefit from a time-out to reassess. Good luck dude.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 am

sknight323 wrote:OP is probably a huge dbag.

No- that would be you. Anyone who knows they hate law and don't want to be a lawyer should drop out.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:18 am

sunynp wrote:
sknight323 wrote:OP is probably a huge dbag.

No- that would be you. Anyone who knows they hate law and don't want to be a lawyer should drop out.

Agreed. It's a tough call but better to make it now than with a quarter million dollars worth of debt later. That said, I'd make damn sure it's not just first week jitters that's throwing a wrench in your plans.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:19 am

Last edited by KevinP on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:33 am

Last edited by KevinP on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sadsituationJD

Postby sadsituationJD » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:34 am

It wasnt law students being dbaggy that ruined it for me. I have depression issues, left a good job, am aspie as fuck, and dont want to take out a shitton of debt when I could go back to a job that pays hella nicely while doing what I love.

Congrats Kevin! If you recall, we had an exchange in another thread where I warned you what a horrific waste of time law school was, and how utterly miserable "practice" truly is.

You've made an excellent decision. Unlike most of the kids on here, it seems you understand what the practice of law will really be like, as opposed to the typical TLS'er who thinks it's like a "Law & Order" episode or "Boston Legal" or whatever.

The real-life grind of this shit is so miserable and bleak that it's almost beyond words. Mostly just ream upon ream of the dullest, driest, most meaningless corporate drivel and legalese, 60 to 90+ hours a week. The money is an illusion too- it's not a 160 K a year job, it's two full-time 80 K a year jobs.

Worst of all is that if you miss the Biglaw boat (which is becoming much more likely since Biglaw is essentially a dead man walking, their structure and rates are a dinosaur that will implode quickly after the next inevitable financial crisis), you're stuck with the same miserable "career" for under 50 K a year if you're lucky and no benefits.

I can't applaud your decision enough, and hope you have the satisfaction of smugly laughing two or three years hence when Biglaw is no-offering/rescinding/swirling down the toilet and these geeks are crapping pants with a shit-ton of debt and no future. If you ever have even the slightest pang of doubt, just go online and read a nice "Tri-Lateral Broker-Dealer Sub Agreement Addendum" or other dreck and ask yourself if that's how you want to spend 80+ hours a week for the rest of your life.

JetsFan1990

Postby JetsFan1990 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:48 am

sadsituationJD wrote:
It wasnt law students being dbaggy that ruined it for me. I have depression issues, left a good job, am aspie as fuck, and dont want to take out a shitton of debt when I could go back to a job that pays hella nicely while doing what I love.

Congrats Kevin! If you recall, we had an exchange in another thread where I warned you what a horrific waste of time law school was, and how utterly miserable "practice" truly is.

You've made an excellent decision. Unlike most of the kids on here, it seems you understand what the practice of law will really be like, as opposed to the typical TLS'er who thinks it's like a "Law & Order" episode or "Boston Legal" or whatever.

The real-life grind of this shit is so miserable and bleak that it's almost beyond words. Mostly just ream upon ream of the dullest, driest, most meaningless corporate drivel and legalese, 60 to 90+ hours a week. The money is an illusion too- it's not a 160 K a year job, it's two full-time 80 K a year jobs.

Worst of all is that if you miss the Biglaw boat (which is becoming much more likely since Biglaw is essentially a dead man walking, their structure and rates are a dinosaur that will implode quickly after the next inevitable financial crisis), you're stuck with the same miserable "career" for under 50 K a year if you're lucky and no benefits.

I can't applaud your decision enough, and hope you have the satisfaction of smugly laughing two or three years hence when Biglaw is no-offering/rescinding/swirling down the toilet and these geeks are crapping pants with a shit-ton of debt and no future. If you ever have even the slightest pang of doubt, just go online and read a nice "Tri-Lateral Broker-Dealer Sub Agreement Addendum" or other dreck and ask yourself if that's how you want to spend 80+ hours a week for the rest of your life.

Your grammar is atrocious. Your tacky and I hate you.

Postby 20130312 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:55 am

JetsFan1990 wrote:Your grammar is atrocious. Your tacky

OH COME ON

sadsituationJD

Postby sadsituationJD » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:57 am

Oh and Kevin, if you think the law student are d-baggy, just wait until you enter some Biglaw mill. Wait until you get a load of how ugly, fat, miserable, and all-around dim these paper-churners are.

That's why even the most TTT doctor (MD) from some offshore med school has 100X the lay prestige and respect of a Biglaw partner. It once again goes back to the law being a "dumpster" for those too stupid for "hard" classes in math & science, too gutless/ugly/socially inept for sales, too cowardly to start a business of their own, and too uncreative, unoriginal, and all-around dull for art/writing.

This explains why a JD and law "experience" is so worthless to other industries. These people simply lack any marketable skills whatsoever, and besides that they're no fun to work with or be around. Paper is all they know- bale upon endless bale of drone-level, make-work paper churning. That's it.

With major media now all over what a laughable waste of time a JD is, its amazing anyone still attends lawschool.

kwais

Postby kwais » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:02 am

I think Kevin is making a good decision based on the little he has posted in here. Sounds like a genuine disinterest in the education and the profession. but you Chicken little fear-mongers are lulzy as fuck. I have absolutely loved law school and know many happy, active, stimulated lawyers. Everyone's experience is different, but you add nothing to the conversation by being so extreme and whiny. Good luck Kevin.

JetsFan1990

Postby JetsFan1990 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:23 am

InGoodFaith wrote:

OH COME ON

Hah the latter was a joke, obviously. But I agree; it's lame to call someone out for bad grammar on TLS.

Miller32

Postby Miller32 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:43 am

sadsituationJD wrote:

I actually think you're helpful in some ways; law school is a bad decision for the vast majority of people. But all you ever do on these forums is project your own failures onto everyone else. Sorry it didn't work out for you, bro.

To be in massive debt with shitty job prospects is a life crippling thing. Unfortunately that happens to a decent amount of law grads, and it seems like it has happened to you. If you're trying to be helpful, more people would listen if you changed your tone. If you just need a place to vent, a therapist might be a better option.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:58 am

Miller32 wrote:
sadsituationJD wrote:

I actually think you're helpful in some ways; law school is a bad decision for the vast majority of people. But all you ever do on these forums is project your own failures onto everyone else. Sorry it didn't work out for you, bro.

To be in massive debt with shitty job prospects is a life crippling thing. Unfortunately that happens to a decent amount of law grads, and it seems like it has happened to you. If you're trying to be helpful, more people would listen if you changed your tone. If you just need a place to vent, a therapist might be a better option.

he didn't fail, biglaw just couldn't handle his pizzazz

Postby 20130312 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:04 am

JetsFan1990 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

OH COME ON

Hah the latter was a joke, obviously. But I agree; it's lame to call someone out for bad grammar on TLS.

See number one and possibly nine. (LinkRemoved)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”