Judicial Internships: How bad is it to request an extension

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
r@dical

Judicial Internships: How bad is it to request an extension

Postby r@dical » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

on an assignment? I realize it's probably best to try to get assignments in when they're due but should I be considering them basically as if I was turning in a brief/memo to a professor that's due for a course? In which case the deadline just wouldn't be flexible at all barring some life emergency.

thesealocust

Re: Judicial Internships: How bad is it to request an extension

Postby thesealocust » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:24 pm

You will make a better impression if you do your work quickly.

Having said that, I've definitely heard clerks with the attitude "the federal judiciary moves slowly, and so will we."

Having said that, every judge and clerk is different, so you're playing with fire.

Play it safe and do everything as quickly as possible. If you have to request an extension, it had better be family emergency or otherwise out of your control (i.e. turns out the project takes more time than either the assigning party or yourself anticipated). Both definitely happen and aren't a huge deal, but you shouldn't treat deadlines they give you as soft.

r@dical

Postby r@dical » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:46 pm

sounds fair, thanks!

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:10 pm

Just be upfront and honest and make sure it's ahead of time.

Also, don't worry about it too much. Most judges look at interns as mentees, not employees.

RTFM

Postby RTFM » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:35 pm

If you're going to request an extension, try to do it several days before the deadline. Tell the clerk exactly what you've done so far, why you think it's going to take longer than you/they anticipated, and how much longer you think it's going to take.

This is totally fair, clerks don't always have a good idea of how complicated the issues are going to be when they give you the assignment.

omg clay aiken !

Postby omg clay aiken ! » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:35 am

When I first started clerking for a district judge I found the learning curve to be extremely steep. The clerks know you'll have trouble with most assignments. Ask questions when necessary (but not to the point where you're an annoyance), keep them informed of your progress, and let them know if you'll need more time. If you're working hard and trying your best, I guarantee they will understand. That's always a better option than handing in poor work product.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:09 am

I had two judicial internships this past summer, and while I don't know how every chambers works, I was in constant communication with the clerks on assignments. While I always got a deadline or asked for one on an assignment and always made or beat it, I found the process to be very organic. I often would do some research for a part of a bench memo and then walk to the clerk's office to discuss what I had so far. Often, we each wanted to bounce ideas off each other.

FWIW, the judge most of the time had only the vaguest idea of what I was working on...deadlines for my work weren't on their radar. Remember, this is a learning experience.

All of this is to say that you should just tell the clerk if you can't finish so they can cover you, but try your best initially to get it done. This shouldn't be a high stress situation.
Last edited by cardinals1989 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:37 am

RTFM wrote:If you're going to request an extension, try to do it several days before the deadline. Tell the clerk exactly what you've done so far, why you think it's going to take longer than you/they anticipated, and how much longer you think it's going to take.

This is totally fair, clerks don't always have a good idea of how complicated the issues are going to be when they give you the assignment.

This.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”