Splitting rent fairly Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
VY10

New

Splitting rent fairly

Post by VY10 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Last edited by VY10 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shoeshine

Silver

Re: Splitting rent fairly

Post by shoeshine » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:15 pm

VY10 wrote:My girlfriend just brought this to my attention. I live with one roommate, and our TOTAL rent comes out to $950 a month. Were we to split the rent evenly, we would each pay $475/ month.

However, when we moved in, it was clear my room was bigger with a bigger closet. Thus, I said I would pay $75 more than him per month. For the past year, I have been paying $550 while he has been paying $400. My girlfriend thinks I'm getting boned, and should only be paying $75 more than him per month, meaning he pays like $445 and I pay $505.

What is the correct way?
There is no "correct" way. Whatever you agree on is what it should be.

Does your GF (or his) live with you guys? or spend a ton of time there? Because I think that should affect the rent calculation as well.

VY10

New

Post by VY10 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:18 pm

shoeshine wrote:
VY10 wrote:My girlfriend just brought this to my attention. I live with one roommate, and our TOTAL rent comes out to $950 a month. Were we to split the rent evenly, we would each pay $475/ month.

However, when we moved in, it was clear my room was bigger with a bigger closet. Thus, I said I would pay $75 more than him per month. For the past year, I have been paying $550 while he has been paying $400. My girlfriend thinks I'm getting boned, and should only be paying $75 more than him per month, meaning he pays like $445 and I pay $505.

What is the correct way?
There is no "correct" way. Whatever you agree on is what it should be.

Does your GF (or his) live with you guys? or spend a ton of time there? Because I think that should affect the rent calculation as well.
No she does not. She's not even in the same city as me.

That is kind of what I was thinking. I mean we agreed on this, but in hindsight, it looks like I have been paying $150 / month than he has. Now I'm starting to wonder if I have been getting screwed

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:19 pm

VY10 wrote: it looks like I have been paying $150 / month than he has.

Now I'm starting to wonder if I have been getting screwed
You have, and you are. But its your own fault. Sorry bro. Chalk it up as a learning experience.

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:21 pm

Yeah. Effectively, you're splitting the rent 60/40.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:22 pm

Who said law students weren't good at math.

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:23 pm

It sounds like you both stink at math. It's hard to start not stinking at math once both parties have agreed to stink at math.

VY10

New

Post by VY10 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:29 pm

Well, shit. I have been getting screwed. We both agreed on this, but I just resigned the lease. Hopefully I can convince him to renegotiate.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:35 pm

zanda wrote:It sounds like you both stink at math. It's hard to start not stinking at math once both parties have agreed to stink at math.
I bet his roommate only feigned being bad at math.

@OP: When I lived in a 4BR house with a bunch of friends, we split 1/2 the rent up evenly (because we all used the common areas equally) and split the other 1/2 based on relative square footage of bedrooms (because the BRs were not even close to uniform size).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:16 pm

I used something very similar to bk187's method.

My roommate's room is bigger. We had a huge argument about who got it, but I took less space for less rent-money in my pocket.

What we did-subtract the common areas and pay for the square footage of your room: Figure out the total square footage of the entire place. Let's say 1000 sq ft for the sake of simplicity. Then, using your rent $, figure out the price per square foot. Let's say it's $2000 for two. That's $2 per square foot.

The kitchen/living room/common areas. Then our respective bedrooms.

The common areas: let's say it's 700 sq ft. Times $2, that means the common areas cost $1400 per month. We each pay exactly half, since we share the space.

However, bedroom space is not shared space. Let's say my room is...130 sq ft, and my roommate's is 170 sq ft (including closets!). Well, his extra space is not shared space-it's his room. So I pay for my square footage. $260 for my room, $340 for his. So that means my total hypothetical rent is $960 and his is $1040.

In the hypothetical, my roommate's room is 40 sq ft bigger. In reality, it's a little over 50.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:20 pm

reformed calvinist wrote:My roommate's room is bigger. We had a huge argument about who got it, but I took less space for less rent-money in my pocket.

What we did-subtract the common areas and pay for the square footage of your room: Figure out the total square footage of the entire place. Let's say 1000 sq ft for the sake of simplicity. Then, using your rent $, figure out the price per square foot. Let's say it's $2000 for two. That's $2 per square foot.

The common areas: let's say it's 700 sq ft. Times $2, that means the common areas cost $1400 per month. We each pay exactly half, since we share the space.

However, bedroom space is not shared space. Let's say my room is...130 sq ft, and my roommate's is 170 sq ft (including closets!). Well, his extra space is not shared space-it's his room. So I pay for my square footage. $260 for my room, $340 for his. So that means my total hypothetical rent is $960 and his is $1040.

In the hypothetical, my roommate's room is 40 sq ft bigger. In reality, it's a little over 50.
pretty frat explanation. about to use this Sept 1 thx

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:21 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
reformed calvinist wrote:My roommate's room is bigger. We had a huge argument about who got it, but I took less space for less rent-money in my pocket.

pretty frat explanation. about to use this Sept 1 thx
np. hoping i can save some people a protracted argument about this (like i had)

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:24 pm

reformed calvinist wrote:I used something very similar to bk187's method.

My roommate's room is bigger. We had a huge argument about who got it, but I took less space for less rent-money in my pocket.
I like your method. It makes more sense than the ad-hoc thing we did. Luckily though we came up with it in advance and didn't have to have an argument about it. :P

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:27 pm

Here is what my roommate and I did. We had a 2-bedroom apartment, but his room was noticeably bigger (i.e., master suite).

The example below is illustrative. Assume that rent was $1,000 / month and the apartment was 1,000 square feet.

- We share the common areas 50/50 (i.e. living room, hallways, kitchen). The common areas approximated 400 square feet ... 200 square feet allocated to each roommate.

- His bedroom and bathroom approximated 400 square feet ... so 400 square feet allocated to him

- My bedroom and bathroom approximated 200 square feet ... so 200 square feet allocated to me.

- In total, he had 600 square feet allocated to him; I had 400 square feet allocated to me; he paid $600/month; I paid $400/month.

- In the end, we split rent 60/40, but had an objective means for doing so.

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:29 pm

We're actually pretty close friends, so we have a very informal thing going. I pay a little more than I would otherwise because I typically lounge a lot more and have more people over (although I could argue that I lounge in the living room more because my bedroom is a glorified closet). If you're just two (or more) randos, this is probably ideal. Really whatever you can agree to that will keep you from carving each other up in a fit of law school-related rage. Don't make OCI into a literal bloodbath :shock: Happy roommate, happy life

LOLyer

Bronze

Post by LOLyer » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:00 am

I think the main question is....

Was there a mutual manifestation of assent to be bound to the agreement?

:|

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:41 am

LOLyer wrote:I think the main question is....

Was there a mutual manifestation of assent to be bound to the agreement?

:|
shut up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:33 am

What is the correct way?
Your girlfriend should probably leave you for your roommate given your lack of math skills.

nmcdgt

Bronze

Post by nmcdgt » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:54 am

rayiner wrote:

What is the correct way?
Your girlfriend should probably leave you for your roommate given your lack of math skills.
Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think you are getting screwed as bad as everyone seems to think. You offered to pay an extra $75 to get the bigger space, which brought your rent from 475 to 550. Essentially, you are paying that $75 to him, which brings his rent down $75 and makes the total difference $150 since all the money is staying between the two of you. At the end of the day, you offered to pay $75 above your baseline (even) rent, which you are, and he is saving $75 from the baseline rent.

If the $75 was simply based on the difference between the rent the two of you pay (which would be $437.50 and $512.50), then you essentially would only be paying $37.50 extra a month for the room (and likewise he would only be saving $37.50). Because you are using his rent as the point of reference instead of the original, evenly-split rent, it appears to be a worse deal than it is. Just my 2cents.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:02 am

You're "friend" that you live with boned you. Repay the favor. The informal agreement was for last year. Heads up roomie - the lease says we split the rent at 475 a piece. Oh that's a problem? Eat me. Look out for number 1. Problem solved.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:08 am

BlueDiamond wrote:You're "friend" that you live with boned you. Repay the favor. The informal agreement was for last year. Heads up roomie - the lease says we split the rent at 475 a piece. Oh that's a problem? Eat me. Look out for number 1. Problem solved.
This isn't exactly my style, but I agree. Unless there's a crazy disparity between the rooms (one is literally twice as large with its own private bathroom or something to that affect) just pay an even 50/50. In most apartments, the size of the room is just one factor in the desirability of the room. Or heck, offer to switch rooms and see what he says. If his reaction is "LOL and pay that much extra?" then you have your answer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:11 am

nmcdgt wrote:
rayiner wrote:

What is the correct way?
Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think you are getting screwed as bad as everyone seems to think. You offered to pay an extra $75 to get the bigger space, which brought your rent from 475 to 550. Essentially, you are paying that $75 to him, which brings his rent down $75 and makes the total difference $150 since all the money is staying between the two of you. At the end of the day, you offered to pay $75 above your baseline (even) rent, which you are, and he is saving $75 from the baseline rent.

If the $75 was simply based on the difference between the rent the two of you pay (which would be $437.50 and $512.50), then you essentially would only be paying $37.50 extra a month for the room (and likewise he would only be saving $37.50). Because you are using his rent as the point of reference instead of the original, evenly-split rent, it appears to be a worse deal than it is. Just my 2cents.

TopHatToad

New

Post by TopHatToad » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:42 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:You're "friend" that you live with boned you. Repay the favor. The informal agreement was for last year. Heads up roomie - the lease says we split the rent at 475 a piece. Oh that's a problem? Eat me. Look out for number 1. Problem solved.
This isn't exactly my style, but I agree. Unless there's a crazy disparity between the rooms (one is literally twice as large with its own private bathroom or something to that affect) just pay an even 50/50. In most apartments, the size of the room is just one factor in the desirability of the room. Or heck, offer to switch rooms and see what he says. If his reaction is "LOL and pay that much extra?" then you have your answer.
So you got boned the first year, until (presumably) someone with the ability to add on their fingers brought the issue up to you.

I say: eat the cost of that year, and chalk it up to a 365-day brain fart. Rather than "repaying the favor", just make the agreement what it should've been from the start- you paying $75 more than him, instead of $150. If he balks, bitches or complains, hit him with the 50/50 in your lease. But I doubt he will; he knew better, and he'll feel guilty now.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:48 am

nmcdgt wrote:
rayiner wrote:

What is the correct way?

He offered to pay $75 more than his roommate. $550 - $400 = $150. $150 != $75. He did the math wrong. He deserves to be cuckolded.

nmcdgt

Bronze

Post by nmcdgt » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:04 am

rayiner wrote:
nmcdgt wrote:
rayiner wrote:

What is the correct way?

He offered to pay $75 more than his roommate. $550 - $400 = $150. $150 != $75. He did the math wrong. He deserves to be cuckolded.
Fair enough. I have a friend who did this and offered to pay "an extra $75 a month", as opposed to $75 more than the other person, so I guess that's why it differs. OP, maybe if you can just break down the error and show him your mistake he'll renegotiate?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”