I think I might have failed the MPRE

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
risingamerican_2l

I think I might have failed the MPRE

Postby risingamerican_2l » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:31 pm

I thought the test was tough. I never took a PR class, though, and I only studied the rules for a few hours. How many do I need to get right to pass (say for New York, Virginia, DC)?

floggered

Re: I think I might have failed the MPRE

Postby floggered » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:36 pm

risingamerican_2l

Postby risingamerican_2l » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:50 pm

floggered wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multistate_Professional_Responsibility_Examination#Passing_score
(as of 2005, I think still good)

Looks like I need an 85 to pass. How many can I afford to miss?

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:54 pm

Why didn't you just sit in a comfy chair for 3-4 more hours and do some practice questions?

risingamerican_2l

Postby risingamerican_2l » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:08 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Why didn't you just sit in a comfy chair for 3-4 more hours and do some practice questions?

I should have. Everybody kept saying it was so easy, so I thought I didn't really need to study.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:17 pm

risingamerican_2l wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Why didn't you just sit in a comfy chair for 3-4 more hours and do some practice questions?

I should have. Everybody kept saying it was so easy, so I thought I didn't really need to study.

Its easy but people still fail it. It is easy in the sense that I went from around ~60 to a 135 on the real thing with about 6 hours of practice questions. (I overstudied obviously...) But its no longer a test I'd take without cracking the book, although it used to be.

IIRC, you need about half the questions correct to get an 85. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=166105

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:49 pm

If you failed, so what? Take it again in November. I can't bring myself to care at all, one way or another.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:11 pm

I care a little because the test is elementary and if you fail it, I wonder about your ability to actually practice law ethically. There, I said it. It needed to be said. :|

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:14 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:I care a little because the test is elementary and if you fail it, I wonder about your ability to actually practice law ethically. There, I said it. It needed to be said. :|

Why would that need to be said? It's not like the most ethical of answer options is always the correct choice.

ak362

Postby ak362 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:53 pm

It is perfectly normal to feel like you failed the MPRE. I, along with others, felt like I got 10 questions right, 10 questions wrong, and the rest could go either way. Ended up getting 100+ with about 8 hours of studying. You'll be fine.

EDIT: Also, why are you taking the exam as a rising 2L? Did you take Ethics during the summer session? Otherwise you usually take it during the spring of 2L (just in time for summer).

risingamerican_2l

Postby risingamerican_2l » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:43 pm

I took it now because I wanted to get it over with and save time later.

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:28 am

Everyone feels like they failed it. Seriously. I also got over 100 and felt like I absolutely bombed it.

No worries.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:06 pm

This thread is relevant to me, as I'll be taking the MPRE this winter. I planned to do zero studying (although I've taken PR).

From most of the practice questions, it seems like common sense will get you most of the way to a passing score. As in, I've seen a decent proportion of practice questions that are basically like:

John Lawyer is entrusted with a large sum of money by James Client. John is behind on his mortgage. Should he:

(A) Embezzle James Client's money.
(B) Appropriate James Client's money, but tell James he's doing it [It's OK as long as you're up front about it].
(C) Not steal.

It shouldn't be possible to fail such a test. Is that completely wrong?

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:52 pm

They have ways of phrasing the questions to make the wrong answer seem like the most likely at first glance. Practice reveals the patterns of their trickery. I'm really not sure a lay person with no exposure to the rules of professional responsibility could BS their way through it - but who knows? I don't understand though - BarBri had a 2 hour video or whatever, why would you knowingly plan not to study when its right there for you?

But yes, some is obvious - never comingle funds, don't bang your client, don't lie to judges, don't give your client money to pay their light bill, etc. But its not all so easy - I guess one thing to look at will be what conflicts may be waived or not, or when screening may be used to cure a conflict, or, if you or a client have made a material mistatement to a tribunal, what you do to fix it, - that stuff is not common sense.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:03 pm

The video actually isn't that bad. The guy was pretty funny and had some humorous stories.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:13 pm

I failed it. Did exactly like OP did...was told it was a huge joke so I blew off any real studying. Got an 83 (and 85's the passing score where I'm at). Retaking in November.

jennylynn

Postby jennylynn » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:19 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:I care a little because the test is elementary and if you fail it, I wonder about your ability to actually practice law ethically. There, I said it. It needed to be said. :|

:roll:

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:14 pm

If you failed, it seriously does not matter at all. Countless people, like myself, didn't study the first time and failed. Then you study a few hours, do practice questions, read the rules, and improve your score by 30-40pts.

Of all law school-related things, this is the thing that should concern you the least.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:12 pm

mrloblaw wrote:This thread is relevant to me, as I'll be taking the MPRE this winter. I planned to do zero studying (although I've taken PR).

From most of the practice questions, it seems like common sense will get you most of the way to a passing score. As in, I've seen a decent proportion of practice questions that are basically like:

John Lawyer is entrusted with a large sum of money by James Client. John is behind on his mortgage. Should he:

(A) Embezzle James Client's money.
(B) Appropriate James Client's money, but tell James he's doing it [It's OK as long as you're up front about it].
(C) Not steal.

It shouldn't be possible to fail such a test. Is that completely wrong?

The questions aren't anything like that. They tend to test the application of rules by asking things like "There is an extingency relating to client's confidential information, may the lawyer disclose that information?" - then two answers are yes, two are no, and you have to select the right answer with the right reason.

Common sense often won't get you far at all, but cursory study of the rules will generally eliminate two answers and you barely need over 50% of the questions right to pass in even the hardest jurisdictions.

Sort of like the bar exam, the test isn't that easy, and definitely requires studying, but the required passing score is quite low.

risingamerican_2l

Postby risingamerican_2l » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:32 pm

All that worry, and I passed. Got a 103. :wink:

grrrstick

Postby grrrstick » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:06 pm

P is for pass.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”