Is it Ok to buy previous editions of supplements?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
joetheplumber

Is it Ok to buy previous editions of supplements?

Postby joetheplumber » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:12 pm

^ Topic. Are the changes that significant? Or can one get buy using a previous edition of supplement. Anybody have first hand experience? Ex: Emmanuel Outlines and E&E

theintern

Re: Is it Ok to buy previous editions of supplements?

Postby theintern » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:19 pm

Not for Tax, brah. Honestly, you should just splurge and buy the latest edition. The last thing I want a supplement to do is confuse me.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:45 am

Depends on the class. Torts? Crim? K's? are all fine with an old supplement. You'll be fine in Civ Pro with a post-Iqbal/Twombly supp (and actually, the easiest/best supp for civ pro would be Freer's barbri lecture). Con Law could be a little dicey depending on what your prof will want to emphasize.

I don't think there is a great supp for tax. Not much new in the world of evidence, so long as your supp covers the restyled rules. You shouldn't need a supp for PR. I didn't pay attention enough in BA to know if there's been recent changes in the law.

joetheplumber

Postby joetheplumber » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:13 pm

TTH wrote:Depends on the class. Torts? Crim? K's? are all fine with an old supplement. You'll be fine in Civ Pro with a post-Iqbal/Twombly supp (and actually, the easiest/best supp for civ pro would be Freer's barbri lecture). Con Law could be a little dicey depending on what your prof will want to emphasize.

I don't think there is a great supp for tax. Not much new in the world of evidence, so long as your supp covers the restyled rules. You shouldn't need a supp for PR. I didn't pay attention enough in BA to know if there's been recent changes in the law.

Thanks, I was thinking about getting an outline of contracts that was a version old/ 3 years cause its like way cheaper

reformed calvinist

Postby reformed calvinist » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:04 am

joetheplumber wrote:
TTH wrote:Depends on the class. Torts? Crim? K's? are all fine with an old supplement. You'll be fine in Civ Pro with a post-Iqbal/Twombly supp (and actually, the easiest/best supp for civ pro would be Freer's barbri lecture). Con Law could be a little dicey depending on what your prof will want to emphasize.

Thanks, I was thinking about getting an outline of contracts that was a version old/ 3 years cause its like way cheaper

99% of your contracts class is gonna be 18th/19th/early 20th century cases. Some UCC depending on the prof, but out of all classes, contracts supplements probably probably have the longest longevity. Probably be hard pressed to find an obsolete sup. Get the second to latest edition of farnsworth, say. same shit, less money. My mom's 25 year old farnsworth (contracts) hornbook served me well. shit's archaic as hell. other classes not so much

GobBluthJD

Postby GobBluthJD » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:09 am

If it's less than 2 years old, then yes. I did it for nearly all of my classes. Saved a TON of $$, and it was 99% the same material.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”