Your Number of August Interviews Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

# of August Interviews

Poll ended at Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:58 pm

Over 40
6%
35-40
6%
30 – 35
7%
25-30
16%
20-25
18%
15-20
12%
10-15
15%
5-10
6%
Less than 5
7%
None
6%

Total votes: 154

McQueen

New

Your Number of August Interviews

Post by McQueen » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:58 pm

With OCI coming right up, along with various fairs and other interviewing possibilities, how many interviews do you have scheduled for August? If you get more interviews (or drop some) you can come back and make an alteration.

If you would note your school (either by name, tier, etc.) or if you would indicate if you are a 2L/3L it might provide a better picture. Thanks.

Renne Walker

Silver

Re: Your Number of August Interviews

Post by Renne Walker » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:17 pm

For those who have already been offered, the thought of not having to go to interviews is worth a big sigh of relief. To everyone else, bring the passion and best of luck!

McQueen

New

Post by McQueen » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:53 am

Those that have indicated “none,” is that because you have been offered or is there some other reason?

istara

Bronze

Post by istara » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:44 pm

2L at a T1 school. Our school only allowed us to apply to 13 firms max (out of only ~25 employers) for OCI. Only half of those have made their selections so far. I haven't mass mailed anywhere yet (looking to try for a small firm in my home market if OCI does not work out). Very jealous of those of you who have 25+ scheduled already.

McQueen

New

Post by McQueen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:36 pm

This polling sample maybe a bit small but a pattern is emerging. If you could indicate your Tier (or school) it might make this a bit more interesting.

I am a bit taken back that 9% are claiming ZERO ― I cannot imagine zero for anyone unless it is because they have secured a SA position and are bypassing interviewing (wouldn’t that be nice!). If you are indicating ZERO, would you please state why.

Might also be interesting to see where the +30 interviews are coming from.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:37 pm

what can this poll possibly tell you?

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:38 pm

Would this not be more appropriate in the Legal Employment forum? Anon feature makes discussing interviews candidly more reasonable.

McQueen

New

Post by McQueen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:10 pm

Perhaps you are right. However, this is simply just about the # of interviews. Since this is certainly the most asked and answered question among friends, I did not think this was confidential.

As far as anonymous. Aren’t most posters are already anonymous, given the often weird or generic names and avatars (for those who use them)? Perhaps I am missing the need for secrecy, but indicating that someone is from a certain school or Tier should not be a big deal.

I do wonder what is up with 8% having zero interviews (as side from those who have been offered).
Last edited by McQueen on Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:16 pm

lots of people get shut out of 100% preselect OCIs, bro, even at T1 schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

McQueen

New

Post by McQueen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:31 pm

fatduck wrote:lots of people get shut out of 100% preselect OCIs, bro, even at T1 schools.
I am dumbfounded by what you wrote. Tier 1 students, shutout of interviews? So (I am guessing here), you are saying that if a Tier 1 school says your interviews are preselect and if your grades are not in a good place, you could wind up with ZERO. Damn.

I have wondered how students going to smaller out of the way places handle the interview season. I read somewhere that smaller schools often tag up with a larger nearby school for OCI (how that works, no clue).

ShitLawOrBust

Bronze

Post by ShitLawOrBust » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:10 pm

McQueen wrote:
fatduck wrote:lots of people get shut out of 100% preselect OCIs, bro, even at T1 schools.
I am dumbfounded by what you wrote. Tier 1 students, shutout of interviews? So (I am guessing here), you are saying that if a Tier 1 school says your interviews are preselect and if your grades are not in a good place, you could wind up with ZERO. Damn.

I have wondered how students going to smaller out of the way places handle the interview season. I read somewhere that smaller schools often tag up with a larger nearby school for OCI (how that works, no clue).
welcome to the real world, brah

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:17 pm

McQueen wrote:

100% preselect OCI is quite common outside of the T14. and yes, many students end up with few or zero interviews. i'm not talking about people in the bottom 20%, either. even above median students at many T1 schools can expect, like, 0-2 preselects. that doesn't mean they're guaranteed unemployment, it just means you're probably not getting shit through OCI, and better get to mass mailing heavily.

LOLyer

Bronze

Post by LOLyer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:18 pm

fatduck wrote:what can this poll possibly tell you?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

McQueen

New

Post by McQueen » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:10 pm

As this little poll approaches 100, seems like having 20-30 interviews is common. Still taken back by the number of zero and under 5 interviews. . . although the reason was clarified earlier. The idea of being chosen by preselect has an obvious upside, but if no preselects means no OCI at all, I am perplexed about what to think. I suppose if you are not going to be interviewed, might as well go to LS where the only goal is to pass the bar.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:21 pm

If I did the "early" and "normal" OCI schedules at my school, along with our DC and Philly days, and got every interview on which I placed a bid, I could not have >30 interviews. If we're limiting that to August, I could not have >20-25.

For 3L OCI including all of those options, I would max out at 11.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:28 pm

McQueen wrote: I suppose if you are not going to be interviewed, might as well go to LS where the only goal is to pass the bar.
No.

McQueen

New

Post by McQueen » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:28 pm

Bedsole wrote:If I did the "early" and "normal" OCI schedules at my school, along with our DC and Philly days, and got every interview on which I placed a bid, I could not have >30 interviews. If we're limiting that to August, I could not have >20-25.

For 3L OCI including all of those options, I would max out at 11.
Noting my limited familiarity on how all this works, couldn’t you could add interviews through job fairs in Boston, Atlanta and Delaware (I might be missing some)? Granted, some of those fairs might be “diversity” oriented. However, I read on a thread that by being a female you are automatically diverse. Plus, (if one believes everything they read on TLS) a number of firms do not check (I know for a fact some DO).

On the subject of pre-select interviews. Isn’t that a very good sign? The firm has seen your blooper highlight reel and still wants to talk. To me that could mean the “interview” is the make or break.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:52 pm

OP: Change your poll options so that two separate answers don't overlap. For example, 15-20 / 21-25 instead of 15-20 / 20-25.

McQueen

New

Post by McQueen » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:45 pm

You are right ― would of, could of, should of. Unfortunately if I made the change now it would delete all of the near 100 responses.

Of those who responded, I was a bit wary of the +40 interviews until I learned that some schools have over 200 OCI firms (companies, gov’t, etc.) on campus. I was, actually am, taken back by that.

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:29 pm

McQueen wrote:You are right ― would of, could of, should of. Unfortunately if I made the change now it would delete all of the near 100 responses.

Of those who responded, I was a bit wary of the +40 interviews until I learned that some schools have over 200 OCI firms (companies, gov’t, etc.) on campus. I was, actually am, taken back by that.
Or you go to school with preselects and have top of the class grades.

ShitLawOrBust

Bronze

Post by ShitLawOrBust » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:45 pm

OP seems like a 0L possibly college freshman

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

McQueen

New

Post by McQueen » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:05 pm

That was true last year. Flash forward, 1L done. Set for 35 OCI interviews. Seemingly a few more than the average, which is apparently around 25, give or take.

The main reason I wanted to poll was that when I had scheduled 15 interviews I thought I was pushing it. I have since doubled that number and see that others are +40. I probably should have made a +50 selection.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:29 pm

This is stupid. This conveys no useful information whatsoever.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:30 pm

McQueen wrote:That was true last year. Flash forward, 1L done. Set for 35 OCI interviews. Seemingly a few more than the average, which is apparently around 25, give or take.

The main reason I wanted to poll was that when I had scheduled 15 interviews I thought I was pushing it. I have since doubled that number and see that others are +40. I probably should have made a +50 selection.
I don't even know how many interviews I had 2L fall because I just applied until I had a job. C'mon bro.

ShitLawOrBust

Bronze

Post by ShitLawOrBust » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:33 pm

McQueen wrote:That was true last year. Flash forward, 1L done. Set for 35 OCI interviews. Seemingly a few more than the average, which is apparently around 25, give or take.

Something about the way you write makes me think you're full of shit. IF you are'nt, though, good for you

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”