Your Number of August Interviews Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

# of August Interviews

Poll ended at Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:58 pm

Over 40
6%
35-40
6%
30 – 35
7%
25-30
16%
20-25
18%
15-20
12%
10-15
15%
5-10
6%
Less than 5
7%
None
6%

Total votes: 154

McQueen

New

Re: Your Number of August Interviews

Post by McQueen » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:47 am

You and those on the LR board apparently share the same opinion about my writing. :cry:

AllDangle

Bronze

Post by AllDangle » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:42 am

Renne Walker wrote:For those who have already been offered, the thought of not having to go to interviews is worth a big sigh of relief. To everyone else, bring the passion and best of luck!
I am a 0L but am trying to get a grasp of the timeline for OCI, mailing, etc. while in law school. If people did not have OCI interviews yet, are the offers/interviews the quoted poster is referring to a result of mailing? Just trying to determine how people were interviewing and securing 2L SA positions this early and prior to OCI.

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:25 am

In your first semester you can bid on firms for a chance to secure a 1L summer SA position. This interview (which is actually four interviews within the firm) occurs shortly after your first LS exam, meaning that you have no idea how you did on your exam. If you secure the 1L SA position, you spend your summer at the firm with pay. If offered (most are) you will not need to bother with OCI.

AllDangle

Bronze

Post by AllDangle » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:43 am

Renne Walker wrote:In your first semester you can bid on firms for a chance to secure a 1L summer SA position. This interview (which is actually four interviews within the firm) occurs shortly after your first LS exam, meaning that you have no idea how you did on your exam. If you secure the 1L SA position, you spend your summer at the firm with pay. If offered (most are) you will not need to bother with OCI.
Okay, makes sense. So the people who have already secured 2L SA positions prior to OCI were most likely offered to do another summer with their 1L SA firm? Are there circumstances where people secure a 2L SA prior to OCI without having a 1L SA? Would these most likely come from interviews they had by mailing the summer before their 2L year? Thanks for the clarification.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:53 am

McQueen wrote:
fatduck wrote:lots of people get shut out of 100% preselect OCIs, bro, even at T1 schools.
I am dumbfounded by what you wrote. Tier 1 students, shutout of interviews? So (I am guessing here), you are saying that if a Tier 1 school says your interviews are preselect and if your grades are not in a good place, you could wind up with ZERO. Damn.

I have wondered how students going to smaller out of the way places handle the interview season. I read somewhere that smaller schools often tag up with a larger nearby school for OCI (how that works, no clue).
Fatduck is right. I would go as far as to say that if you are ranked at the top 25% of your class mark, and you don't attend a T18 (and a handful of T30 private schools - BC, BU, Notre Dame, WashU, Fordham and Emory), you probably won't get an offer out of OCI for a mid law or larger firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:16 am

AllDangle wrote:1. Are there circumstances where people secure a 2L SA prior to OCI without having a 1L SA?
2. Would these most likely come from interviews they had by mailing the summer before their 2L year?
1. Perhaps, but I would not have any examples on how that is achieved.
2. No idea.

Short read: If you secure a 1L SA and are offered you can bypass OCI. If you do not secure a 1L firm SA chances are you will be interning somewhere (perhaps judicial, etc.) and will then have to endure the OCI process of securing interviews in hopes of landing a 2L SA.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:26 am

Renne Walker wrote:
AllDangle wrote:1. Are there circumstances where people secure a 2L SA prior to OCI without having a 1L SA?
2. Would these most likely come from interviews they had by mailing the summer before their 2L year?
2. No idea.

Short read: If you secure a 1L SA and are offered you can bypass OCI. If you do not secure a 1L firm SA chances are you will be interning somewhere (perhaps judicial, etc.) and will then have to endure the OCI process of securing interviews in hopes of landing a 2L SA.
Protip for 0Ls: the vast majority of people are unable to secure 1L SAs.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:47 am

rad lulz wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:
2. No idea.

Protip for 0Ls: the vast majority of people are unable to secure 1L SAs.
Here, vast means like 99% of all students.

McQueen

New

Post by McQueen » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:06 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Protip for 0Ls: the vast majority of people are unable to secure 1L SAs.
Honestly, how often does anyone secure an SA position with just one interview, much less a 1L SA position. . . 1% could be considered wildly optimistic.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:10 pm

It's certainly not optimistic if you include SA's in firms of all sizes. Now if you are only referring to NLJ 250 non-diversity spots, then it's probably about right.

JJW

New

Post by JJW » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:27 pm

I just went over scheduling 30 interviews. This is going to be a long few days!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:56 pm

Renne Walker wrote:
2. No idea.

I applied to many firms for 1L SA and did not get callback/offer from many of them. I followed up early summer with the ones that I felt showed decent interest and was able to secure interviews with them outside/before OCI. I have not yet received an offer through this process (partially because I did not try very hard since I did land a 1L SA) but I do know others who got offers before OCI by following up with 1L applications.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:59 pm

McQueen wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Protip for 0Ls: the vast majority of people are unable to secure 1L SAs.
Honestly, how often does anyone secure an SA position with just one interview, much less a 1L SA position. . . 1% could be considered wildly optimistic.
Most 1L SA involve a screener (often by phone) and one callback interview. Most PI 1L positions involve 1 in person interview (I had both my PI offers from a PI job fair -- 20 minute screener -> offer). Most 2L SA involve a screener + a callback, and perhaps many already "secured" their offers prior to callback, and the callback is just a check and balance kind of thing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lustre_mud

New

Post by lustre_mud » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:47 pm

fatduck wrote:lots of people get shut out of 100% preselect OCIs, bro, even at T1 schools.

that's terrible. we at least get some lottery slots.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”