Best supplement for Torts, Contracts, and Civ Pro?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
joetheplumber

Best supplement for Torts, Contracts, and Civ Pro?

Postby joetheplumber » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:32 am

Hi guys, 1L here. Was just wondering what the best supplements for Torts, contracts and Civ Pro are. I already know the Glannon E&E is the best for Civ Pro. What about torts and contracts, any "best"?

Thanks. Also for casebooks and supplements, do older editions work or no.

bhan87

Re: Best supplement for Torts, Contracts, and Civ Pro?

Postby bhan87 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:56 am

joetheplumber wrote:Hi guys, 1L here. Was just wondering what the best supplements for Torts, contracts and Civ Pro are. I already know the Glannon E&E is the best for Civ Pro. What about torts and contracts, any "best"?

Thanks. Also for casebooks and supplements, do older editions work or no.

Torts - If you need a supplement for Torts you're in trouble... (dead serious). Just read your casebook. It should be more than adequate if you're capable of basic reading comprehension (which I assume you are because you got into law school).

CivPro - Glannon is useful, but simplistic. Don't weigh too heavily on it for your final, but it helps in getting a broad overview of the various doctrines. I liked Friedenthal's hornbook, but only for certain sections (like personal jurisdiction). He summarizes the key precedential cases fairly well, but it's getting a bit dated. Also, some sections will cover stuff you just won't talk about in class. For example, he has a looooong section on Discovery, which we spent only one day in class talking about and never showed up on the final.

Contracts - I recommend Chirelstein if you have the Farnsworth casebook, mainly because most of the cases Chirelstein talks about comes from that back. It's a short and sweet overview, but glosses over certain things (like he completely ignores the statute of frauds because he finds it "boring"). But for the topics he does cover, he does a good job of compressing a lot of information. Other than that I don't recommend any other supplements.

Supplements in general are more of a waste of time than actual time savers. Most of them cover stuff that your class will never talk about, while at the same time inadequately cover the things your class WILL discuss.

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:32 am

This topic has been covered in a lot of places. Don't buy any supplements until you get to class and your prof recommends one (or you ask in office hours). If they don't believe in a supplement, your safe bet is an E&E or something widely used for a particular class, such as Understanding Criminal Law by Dressler for Crim.

Torts/Civ Pro are pretty cemented with Glannon (E&Es / GG for Civ Pro for multiple choice or Pleadings stuff that isn't in the E&E). Glannon has some pretty A+ advice at the end of the Torts E&E for exam practice. But again, ask your professor.

Seminole_305

Postby Seminole_305 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:07 am

I'm a big fan of Understanding Torts, ans Civ Pro (although it is a little date so you may need another supplement for the new stuff).

YYZ

Postby YYZ » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:18 am

I used the E&Es for Torts and Contracts and didn't find them very helpful. Those courses will vary significantly depending on the way your prof teaches. If you fully understand and synthesize your profs' lectures in those courses, you should be just fine.

For Civ Pro, I found Acing Civil Procedure to be very helpful.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:23 am

YYZ wrote:I used the E&Es for Torts and Contracts and didn't find them very helpful. Those courses will vary significantly depending on the way your prof teaches. If you fully understand and synthesize your profs' lectures in those courses, you should be just fine.

For Civ Pro, I found Acing Civil Procedure to be very helpful.

File this under wait until you get your professor, but if you have CivPro multiple choice questions on the exam, then get Siegel's and the Glannon book (Not the E&E - I forget what it's called). They're not usually hyper difficult in the way law school multiple choice questions can be, but it's good practice and they often will expose discreet issues you may not have considered yourself.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:40 am

For contracts, I found the Farnsworth supplement very helpful especially if you're using the Farnsworth casebook since they cover many of the same cases but with better explanations in the supplement.

For torts, I liked the Concise Restatement of Torts published by the American Law Institute. Like others have said, you shouldn't need much help in torts but this lays out the black letter law very well, I think.

For Civ Pro, I liked Friedenthal, if it was a bit wordy. For exam prep, I used Acing Civ Pro and really liked the checklist format. Be careful of old editions of Civ Pro materials as Congress just passed some substantial changes to several statutes that relate to procedure. At times, I found Glannon to be very unclear but that is almost certainly more my problem than Glannon's.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:00 am

The two most useful supplements to me last year were Chirelstein's Concepts and Case Analysis for Contracts and Dressler's Understanding Criminal law for Crim. This was partially due to less than helpful professors, but they were also extraordinarily well-written and useful.

I used a Torts supplement, but only because my professor wrote it and he had a totally bizzarre approach to Torts that he only really explained in the book. I would never recommend his supplement unless you were actually taking his class, because its insane and still doesn't really make that much sense.

I liked Issacharoff's CivPro supplement and found it to be clear and well-written and useful for my class, but YMMV.

Never found a satisfactory Property supplement...

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:33 pm

Torts- E&E, Glannon Guide to Torts, and Crunchtime. Use the Crunchtime to get the general outline, use the E&E to get more specific, and then use the Glannon Guide to yet again review the material and test yourself on it.

Civ Pro- E&E, Acing Civ Pro, Glannon Guide to Civ Pro, and Crunchtime. Follow same as above.

Contracts- This depends on how your class is set up. My class was extremely UCC focused and Chirelstein was useless to me. I used the ABC's of the UCC, Crunchtime, and Acing Contracts. The ABC's of the UCC was a godsend in helping me understand UCC provisions like 2-207 and 2-209.

Good luck.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:14 pm

Is there a new edition of the civ pro E&E out? Because I had a copy for civpro2 (which for us covers jurisdiction, venue, removal, erie, and the like) and I found it outdated to the point of worthless.

ambiTTTTion

Postby ambiTTTTion » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:24 pm

LazinessPerSe wrote:Torts/Civ Pro are pretty cemented with Glannon (E&Es / GG for Civ Pro for multiple choice or Pleadings stuff that isn't in the E&E). Glannon has some pretty A+ advice at the end of the Torts E&E for exam practice. But again, ask your professor.

TITCR

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:40 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Is there a new edition of the civ pro E&E out? Because I had a copy for civpro2 (which for us covers jurisdiction, venue, removal, erie, and the like) and I found it outdated to the point of worthless.

They're slightly out of date as they don't include the 2011 Amendments to the FRCPs. R.15 sticks out in my memory as being off with the GG and E&E both time and procedure-wise when dealing with when amendments are allowed (not relating back stuff). The differences are minor, but do change analysis.

My main complaint is that Glannon does a piss-poor job integrating Preclusion into a Summary Judgment question. That's a very popular essay topic that Glannon just treats as two separate parts. His treatment of Issue Preclusion in the E&E is very light as well - there's little, if anything, about offensive vs. defensive nonmutual issue preclusion.

But aside from these small faults, they're the best exam-prep materials for most Civ Pro classes. Just remember to check with the prof.

joetheplumber

Postby joetheplumber » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:39 pm

thanks guys. But what do you guys think of the Emmanuel Outline for Civ Pro: --LinkRemoved--

This one is keyed to my casebook/professor: Yeazel 8th edition

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”