Is ranking based on class or sections

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
joetheplumber

Is ranking based on class or sections

Postby joetheplumber » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:53 pm

So our class is split into sections. Are rankings based on the entire class, or just our section?

tedalbany

Re: Is ranking based on class or sections

Postby tedalbany » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:56 pm

joetheplumber wrote:So our class is split into sections. Are rankings based on the entire class, or just our section?

class, but you'll be competing against your section

i.e. top 15% refers to top 15% out of the overall class, but everyone in the section is ranked against each other for purposes of the exam curve-

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:09 am

tedalbany wrote:
joetheplumber wrote:So our class is split into sections. Are rankings based on the entire class, or just our section?

i.e. top 15% refers to top 15% out of the overall class, but everyone in the section is ranked against each other for purposes of the exam curve-

Yeah... that's not necessarily true.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:11 am

sambeber wrote:
tedalbany wrote:

can vary by school, but I haven't heard of any different systems. Except wherever you go, apparently.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:45 pm

tedalbany wrote:

My school compares the entire class for curve purposes.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:49 pm

kalvano wrote:
tedalbany wrote:

On each exam? Like all profs just submit a # and the school curves it all? Weird

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:13 pm

tedalbany wrote:
kalvano wrote:
tedalbany wrote:

On each exam? Like all profs just submit a # and the school curves it all? Weird

The prof grades the exams for his class, and then compares it to the grade in the other section for curve purposes.

This is all 1L, no sections after that, so everyone is taking the same classes, just with different professors.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:17 pm

For overall class ranking its by class but for grading on to journals my school has it by small LWR section so everyone is evenly matched (3 people per small writing section are roughly top 10%).

joetheplumber

Postby joetheplumber » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:53 pm

I'm still confused. What if one professor is harder than another professor. Wouldn't it make curve almost impossible if it is the whole class?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:49 pm

joetheplumber wrote:I'm still confused. What if one professor is harder than another professor. Wouldn't it make curve almost impossible if it is the whole class?

How? That's your tough luck for drawing that prof. Still the same class.

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:15 pm

So are the exams the same across sections? Or does each professor have their own exams?

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:20 pm

tedalbany wrote:
sambeber wrote:
tedalbany wrote:

can vary by school, but I haven't heard of any different systems. Except wherever you go, apparently.

Yep. Separate section-by-section cutoffs at Georgetown, so you only know where you stand relative to your section.

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/campus-se ... 1-2012.cfm

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:21 pm

LockBox wrote:So are the exams the same across sections? Or does each professor have their own exams?

They each have their own here.

applesoranges123

Postby applesoranges123 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:09 pm

Yep. Separate section-by-section cutoffs at Georgetown, so you only know where you stand relative to your section.

[/quote]

I don't know if this is really obvious or something lol, but why does Gtown have different GPA cut-offs for top 10%/15/etc for each section?? I would presume that each section is about the same size, and all the sections are taking classes of the same level of difficulty...

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:19 pm

applesoranges123 wrote:

I don't know if this is really obvious or something lol, but why does Gtown have different GPA cut-offs for top 10%/15/etc for each section?? I would presume that each section is about the same size, and all the sections are taking classes of the same level of difficulty...[/quote]

Because there is an some wiggle room in the curve, i.e., 10-12% A's, 22-25% A-, etc. In addition, in some sections, 10 individuals may get all the A's, thus making the cutoffs different.

ninereal

Postby ninereal » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:03 pm

sambeber wrote:
applesoranges123 wrote:

I don't know if this is really obvious or something lol, but why does Gtown have different GPA cut-offs for top 10%/15/etc for each section?? I would presume that each section is about the same size, and all the sections are taking classes of the same level of difficulty...

Because there is an some wiggle room in the curve, i.e., 10-12% A's, 22-25% A-, etc. In addition, in some sections, 10 individuals may get all the A's, thus making the cutoffs different.[/quote]

Second semester elective can also change the numbers a bit because all the sections are mashed together for that one.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”