Barbri Books during Law School

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
punkyg0608

Barbri Books during Law School

Postby punkyg0608 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:53 am

Hey everyone,

A few lawyers I know have suggested buying Barbri books to use during law school to prepare for class each day. I've looked online and I haven't heard of anyone doing that, and I also don't really understand what books to get in the first place. Does anyone have any advice on how to use the Barbri books and what books would be helpful during law school? Thanks!

feeblemiles

Re: Barbri Books during Law School

Postby feeblemiles » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:18 am

Barbri excels at providing succinct and plainly stated black letter law. They make things as simple as they can be because for most bar prep courses, adding too much subtlety and complexity just isn't realistic.

My experience with law school was that much more mastery and subtlety was demanded from professors. With that said, I think going into class with a skeletal understanding and letting the professor put meat on the bones barbri provides could be a successful approach.

Check out the online videos they give law school students access to before the course starts, and I'd say skim the outline for the relevant section you're checking out as your professor prepares to discuss it in class, but I'd say still rely most heavily on the way your syllabus is shaped and make the barbri material, or any other supplementary material you rely on, just that: supplementary to whatever your professor is directing you towards.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:13 pm

A far better and course-relevant outline exists in the front of your textbook. The pages contain the details you should know.

941law

Postby 941law » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:11 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:A far better and course-relevant outline exists in the front of your textbook. The pages contain the details you should know.

not really 8)

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:15 pm

Each law professor teaches the law in a slightly different way - omitting some exceptions, adding some details or nuance, skipping entire sections, etc. Each casebook is the same. BarBRIs material is garbage for a 1L course - if you really want or need a supplement, find one keyed to your casebook, or better still recommended by your professor.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”