Used or New Casebooks?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
joetheplumber

Used or New Casebooks?

Postby joetheplumber » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:13 pm

Is it better to buy a new casebook or will an old casebook with highlighting suffice cause those casebooks are EXPENSIVEEE

Re: Used or New Casebooks?

Postby 071816 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:41 pm

I would buy em used unless you're one of those people who feels the need to write a bunch of shit in their books.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:54 am

No reason to buy them new

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:07 am

I bought all new Fall semester, then i tried a mixture of new and used for Spring semester. This might just be me, but I tended to focus better with the new books. The fact that the pages were clear of another student's writing made it easier to put in my own notes.

A book with only light highlighting is fine, but steer clear of books that have either been a. over-highlighted (I had one book where a few cases were ENTIRELY highlighted... in DARK GREEN) or b. have lots of notes in the margin. If you can get a relatively clean used book, I say go for it.

bloobook

Postby bloobook » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:16 am

Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:33 am

Depends on the person. I budget for new casebooks because I'm one of those with a highlighting system and lots of margin notes and other people's highlighting and crap stresses me out. I am in the minority on this though.

Lycurgus

Postby Lycurgus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:17 pm

Used. If you follow the advice on this site you should spend that money you save on highly-praised supplements.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:17 pm

after 1L year, I didn't buy the casebook at all for professors who did not cold call. 3 outlines on Outline Depot for $30 + used E&E or Emanuel's outline for $20 = all you need.

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:14 pm

I bought old versions of used casebooks for about $4 a pop. For Con Law, I did not even use the casebook. I looked up the cases on WestlawNext during class to follow along. A+

FYI, the one thing you should never buy is supplements. These are not useful except as an occasional reference (and can be a huge time sink), and you can usually find the good ones in the library.

joetheplumber

Postby joetheplumber » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:24 pm

I see. What about older versions of casebooks.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:25 pm

Perseus_I wrote:FYI, the one thing you should never buy is supplements. These are not useful except as an occasional reference (and can be a huge time sink), and you can usually find the good ones in the library.

Honestly, I agree with this. I never really found E&E all that useful. For some courses, a canned outline like Emanuels or Gilberts was good, but they were often too long and too dense to be time efficient. Crunchtime is probably the best canned outline.

Outlinedepot outlines are definitely worth the time and money, in my opinion. The best study material is your class notes, so be sure to take good ones.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:27 pm

lifestooquick wrote:Depends on the person. I budget for new casebooks because I'm one of those with a highlighting system and lots of margin notes and other people's highlighting and crap stresses me out. I am in the minority on this though.

bhan87 wrote:I bought all new Fall semester, then i tried a mixture of new and used for Spring semester. This might just be me, but I tended to focus better with the new books. The fact that the pages were clear of another student's writing made it easier to put in my own notes.

A book with only light highlighting is fine, but steer clear of books that have either been a. over-highlighted (I had one book where a few cases were ENTIRELY highlighted... in DARK GREEN) or b. have lots of notes in the margin. If you can get a relatively clean used book, I say go for it.

These - used textbooks could have been highlighted by some idiot a-hole, focusing on all the unimportant crap, drawing your eye to something not worth focusing on. I don't care who you are - if something is highlighted, your brain will think it is important. And then there is the inexplicable "I highlighted everything" used textbook, which may as well have highlighted nothing. For all core classes I only bought new. But, I also only underlined in pencil and made notes in the margin (book briefed) - highlights seem to over-emphasize.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”