C&F - IRS Issue Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
roofles

New

C&F - IRS Issue

Post by roofles » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:16 am

Rising 3L, recently received a letter from the IRS saying that my wife and I misstated our 2010 income by roughly 20k (Ironically, ~4k of that is because my law school didn't file their tax form corresponding to the 1099 they sent me). They claim that we owe back taxes. Because of some trust-related stuff with my wife, we have always used a CPA for our taxes. The CPA reviewed the IRS letter and is filing a modified return and says that we will actually be getting money back from the IRS after filing the modification.

Longer story short, assuming the IRS drags their feet, will this be a huge C&F negative on a bar application? I told the CPA to resolve this asap so the IRS isn't claiming that I still owe back taxes when the C&F review comes up. Further, is this something that I should go ahead and bring up when filing my application so as to avoid any possible issues? It would really suck to have something like this cause major issues.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Re: C&F - IRS Issue

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:19 am

ruh roh

Kinda doubt anyone on here can/will give you the type of feedback you may need on this. I think getting it resolved with IRS is number one approach, and possibly (maybe anonymously?) calling the state bar you are applying to to see how this type of situation might generally be handled could be second on the list. Doubt it will be prohibitive, but I would get that shit straightened out right away and try to avoid this type of thing in the future if it was something you or spouse contributed to in some way. HTH

Oh, get a new fucking CPA too IMO.

roofles

New

Post by roofles » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:56 am

Lawquacious wrote:ruh roh
Oh, get a new fucking CPA too IMO.
The CPA is a family friend of the in-laws, but I've already been looking for a competent replacement. Thanks for the advice though, I will contact the state bar and find out what I need to do.

sophie316

Bronze

Post by sophie316 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:07 pm

So I asked about this. They said the best thing to do is fix any problems and get letter from IRS saying all clear.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”