(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bloobook

Postby bloobook » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:38 pm

Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tstyler98

Re: What did you learn in LRW?

Postby tstyler98 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:04 am

bloobook wrote:I am transferring this year (from a PNW school that offers a 4-semester writing program) to a school that only offers a two-semester writing program. I know that legal research/writing classes vary, but what stuff did you do in your two-semester lrw classes? Did you write appellate briefs? Draft anything? I'm just curious how much I'm going to be missing out on that will need to be self-taught.

In the first semester, I learned how to write an objective memo. That is basically an internal memo where you lay out the law and discuss how the client's case will come out for each element and/or issue.

In the second semester, I learned how to write a persuasive brief and I did an oral argument.

Many schools only require 2 semesters of Legal Writing, but also offer other classes where you can get additional experience.

jaymaynard

Postby jaymaynard » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:15 am

I think most LRW programs are pretty similar. Like the above poster mentioned, the first semester you focus on objective memo writing. Second semester you generally focus on persuasive, appellate brief writing and oral advocacy.

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:35 pm

Nothing. Waste of time. Bad grades in LRW, good grades in everything else, and then "wrote onto" Law Review. Go figure.

Learned a lot more from 1L summer judicial internship.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:39 pm

I thought I learned a lot until I got my first real-world memo back that crossed out pretty much everything I learned in LRW.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:42 pm

Did median/below in LWR and learned pretty much nothing. I learned everything from being an RA/writing onto a journal and after speaking with a practicing attorney was told that doing everything we learn in LWR would make the worst real world memo ever.

2014utLaw

Postby 2014utLaw » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:52 pm

Last edited by 2014utLaw on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:55 pm

I maintain that a lot of people learn a very very important lesson in LRW, one that is fundamental but often overlooked:

YOU DON'T TRY TO WRITE THE BEST MEMO YOU CAN. YOU TRY TO WRITE THE MEMO THAT BEST MATCHES YOUR SUPERVISOR'S PREFERENCES.

This. Is. Crucial.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:25 am

tstyler98 wrote:
bloobook wrote:I am transferring this year (from a PNW school that offers a 4-semester writing program) to a school that only offers a two-semester writing program. I know that legal research/writing classes vary, but what stuff did you do in your two-semester lrw classes? Did you write appellate briefs? Draft anything? I'm just curious how much I'm going to be missing out on that will need to be self-taught.

In the first semester, I learned how to write an objective memo. That is basically an internal memo where you lay out the law and discuss how the client's case will come out for each element and/or issue.

In the second semester, I learned how to write a persuasive brief and I did an oral argument.

Many schools only require 2 semesters of Legal Writing, but also offer other classes where you can get additional experience.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:15 pm

Brevity. In addition to things like the above, I learned to get to the point.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”