Visiting Away, Preferably Harvard? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
splitsvilledilemma

New

Visiting Away, Preferably Harvard?

Post by splitsvilledilemma » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:30 am

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has applied to be or successfully become a visiting student at Harvard (or knows someone who has)? My wife is a student there and I want to move there to be with her. They seem to have a really tight policy, and I want to know what reasons people have given for being one that either worked or didn't. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

yuzu

Bronze

Re: Visiting Away, Preferably Harvard?

Post by yuzu » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:26 am

I don't ever recall meeting a visiting student at HLS, other than transfer students, research students, or Berkeley/international exchange students. Here are some other options I have heard of people doing:
  • Take law-related classes at the Extension School (which has an open admissions policy). Not sure if that would count towards a law degree, but many of these are taught by HLS profs, so you might be able to convince your home school.
  • Do research at the Berkman Center, potentially for law school credit.
  • Look into other law schools in Boston (BU/BC/Northeastern/Suffolk/NESL) and other law-related programs (Harvard Kennedy School, Tufts Fletcher School) that might be of interest. HKS/Fletcher students may be able to take HLS classes through cross-registration.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”