People who have taken the Patent Bar....

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
CindyLarson84
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 5:45 pm

People who have taken the Patent Bar....

Postby CindyLarson84 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:47 am

When you're taking the test at via computer, can you access the MPEP the same way you can in PatWare? Can you look through the MPEP with the test question open next to it?

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: People who have taken the Patent Bar....

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:49 am

CindyLarson84 wrote:When you're taking the test at via computer, can you access the MPEP the same way you can in PatWare? Can you look through the MPEP with the test question open next to it?


I havent used PatWare (I used ExamWare from PRG). You can have both screens open at the same time though, similar to having a browser in the background and a PDF in the foreground. You can only access sections of the MPEP at a time though (600, 700, or 2100, etc)

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: People who have taken the Patent Bar....

Postby fatduck » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:50 am

i've never used PatWare but on the real test the MPEP opens in a separate window that you can move and resize, so technically you can browse the MPEP while looking at the test question, though it is a little awkward.

CindyLarson84
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 5:45 pm

Re: People who have taken the Patent Bar....

Postby CindyLarson84 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:54 am

Awesome - thanks so much guys!

User avatar
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:16 pm

Re: People who have taken the Patent Bar....

Postby SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:08 am

bump:
do any of you guys know how the searching works on the mpep? like say i search for the phrase "national security", but without the quotes. will it show me every instance of "national", "security", and "national security", or just "national security"? also, could i do any semblance of a boolean search (e.g. search for the word "national" in the same sentence as the word "security") or is it strictly an alt+f sorta thing?

also, is the mpep file in a single, large file that i can search all at once, or is it separated by chapter? so say i search "national security" again. is the thing gonna find every instance of the phrase in the entire mpep, or just a select chapter i have open?

lastly, do you guys happen to know if there's any section of the mpep that just has a list of 35 usc 102 without the explanations and subtleties? i'd really just like to have a short, condensed listing of the statute if possible.

thanks all

User avatar
Stevus
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:36 am

Re: People who have taken the Patent Bar....

Postby Stevus » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:14 pm

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:bump:
do any of you guys know how the searching works on the mpep? like say i search for the phrase "national security", but without the quotes. will it show me every instance of "national", "security", and "national security", or just "national security"? also, could i do any semblance of a boolean search (e.g. search for the word "national" in the same sentence as the word "security") or is it strictly an alt+f sorta thing?


I don't remember the exact search functions, but it was recommended to me to install Acrobat 5.0 on your computer since it's very similar to the actual document viewer used by the testing software. That should be a good start

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:also, is the mpep file in a single, large file that i can search all at once, or is it separated by chapter? so say i search "national security" again. is the thing gonna find every instance of the phrase in the entire mpep, or just a select chapter i have open?


The MPEP is broken up by its chapters on the test. Definitely learn which topics are covered in each section, otherwise you'll spend way too much time searching.

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:lastly, do you guys happen to know if there's any section of the mpep that just has a list of 35 usc 102 without the explanations and subtleties? i'd really just like to have a short, condensed listing of the statute if possible.

thanks all


Appendix L - Patent Laws covers 35 U.S.C. (be sure to search by "35 U.S.C." and not "35 USC")

User avatar
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:16 pm

Re: People who have taken the Patent Bar....

Postby SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:32 am

Stevus wrote:
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:bump:
do any of you guys know how the searching works on the mpep? like say i search for the phrase "national security", but without the quotes. will it show me every instance of "national", "security", and "national security", or just "national security"? also, could i do any semblance of a boolean search (e.g. search for the word "national" in the same sentence as the word "security") or is it strictly an alt+f sorta thing?


I don't remember the exact search functions, but it was recommended to me to install Acrobat 5.0 on your computer since it's very similar to the actual document viewer used by the testing software. That should be a good start

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:also, is the mpep file in a single, large file that i can search all at once, or is it separated by chapter? so say i search "national security" again. is the thing gonna find every instance of the phrase in the entire mpep, or just a select chapter i have open?


The MPEP is broken up by its chapters on the test. Definitely learn which topics are covered in each section, otherwise you'll spend way too much time searching.

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:lastly, do you guys happen to know if there's any section of the mpep that just has a list of 35 usc 102 without the explanations and subtleties? i'd really just like to have a short, condensed listing of the statute if possible.

thanks all


Appendix L - Patent Laws covers 35 U.S.C. (be sure to search by "35 U.S.C." and not "35 USC")

thanks man. that helps a lot




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: wittywitless and 9 guests