JD/MBA from T30 worth it? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
AntiHuman

Bronze

JD/MBA from T30 worth it?

Post by AntiHuman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:26 pm

T30 school, no significant work experience(young in age), bottom 20 percent, unpaid legal internships 1L and 2L summers, might want to possibly do some real estate/business stuff later down the road. I don't think I could do law the rest of my life. My grades also hint to the fact I might not even get a paying legal job anytime soon!? Stay in school a year longer? Tuition/fees not an issue...

I will be a 3L in the fall. How does this process work? I will have to take the GMAT and apply this fall to the combined degree program? Can I even get in with no significant year long work experience in anything related to business/management/finance...etc?

Verity

Silver

Re: JD/MBA from T30 worth it?

Post by Verity » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:46 pm

I'm not even sure you can apply this late. You should first check to see if they'll let you apply now and start this fall, or if you'd have to tack on 2 extra years.

It depends which T30. ND, IU and Emory have pretty good biz schools. But you'd have to take either the GMAT or the GRE, and soon. If you haven't studied for it...um...start. Or wing it.

You're basically saying you don't want to be a lawyer anymore. The MBA will only help you get non-law jobs. Some businesses might value a JD in addition to the MBA, but not really that much. Firms don't care about MBAs. They say it's a plus, but it doesn't really matter to them. They care about your willingness and ability to do boring legal analysis and other legal b.s. for hours on end above all else.

Also, unless you have a very good GMAT/GRE and UGPA, it's hard to get b-schools to look past no WE.

Summary: find out if you can still apply, study for and take GMAT or GRE asap, apply, and...?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: JD/MBA from T30 worth it?

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:56 am

At this point, why limit yourself to your school's MBA program? You might as well apply for after you graduate and try to get into a better school.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”