Spending too much class time on (a)social networks/Facebook

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Zazelmaf

Spending too much class time on (a)social networks/Facebook

Postby Zazelmaf » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:04 pm

I have noticed during my first and second year of law school that some students are obsessed with (a)social networking during lecture. It got to the point where I decided to move to the front row just so I would no longer have to be distracted by other people looking at Facebook, tweeting, or updating their MySpace. I came across a site, SPAM which talks about the problems of sites like these and I decided that in law school I should rid myself of Facebook. Doing so helped my GPA go up by a good amount. In fact, I am glad to say I have realized that sites like Facebook have no part in my life. Instead I find myself studying and enjoying law school like never before. While some people can do well in class while surfing the internet, why not at least pay attention to the lecture and get your money's worth. Law school costs a lot these days and you might not want to be wasting your class time on sites like Facebook. Just food for thought :)

kaiser

Re: Spending too much class time on (a)social networks/Facebook

Postby kaiser » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:06 pm

Cool

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:08 pm

kaiser wrote:Cool

Story

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:10 pm

I very rarely find myself in a law school class that requires my complete and undivided attention, or even benefits from it. I wish we got internet in class, because then I could facebook/gchat instead of just playing freecell.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:11 pm

blurbz wrote:
kaiser wrote:Cool

Story

Bro

(boom goes the alley oop)

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:15 pm

Zazelmaf wrote: In fact, I am glad to say I have realized that sites like Facebook have no part in my life.

Hahaha. Realized this while wasting time on TLS?

But yeah, actually, I do spend way too much time on internet boards/FB etc and sometimes think I would be much better off without all of it. But neo-Luddism isn't exactly my thing either.
Last edited by Lawquacious on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:22 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:I have noticed during my first and second year of law school that some students are obsessed with (a)social networking during lecture. It got to the point where I decided to move to the front row just so I would no longer have to be distracted by other people looking at Facebook, tweeting, or updating their MySpace. I came across a site, http://www.FacebookDetox.com which talks about the problems of sites like these and I decided that in law school I should rid myself of Facebook. Doing so helped my GPA go up by a good amount. In fact, I am glad to say I have realized that sites like Facebook have no part in my life. Instead I find myself studying and enjoying law school like never before. While some people can do well in class while surfing the internet, why not at least pay attention to the lecture and get your money's worth. Law school costs a lot these days and you might not want to be wasting your class time on sites like Facebook. Just food for thought :)

Given your post history I would think Facebook is the least of your problems

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:25 pm

Who still uses Myspace?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:34 pm

Facebook is a great way to stay in touch with people who can help you find jobs/clerkships.

Sorry you hear about your tiny pink self control bro.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:04 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:Who still uses Myspace?

I think if you go back far enough on the FB timeline you get to Myspace.

By all means, other students should in fact spend all their time on FB and TSL and anywhere else they want to meander.

Personally, I will be an internet ghost come late August except when networking for jobs / school stuff.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:07 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I very rarely find myself in a law school class that requires my complete and undivided attention, or even benefits from it. I wish we got internet in class, because then I could facebook/gchat instead of just playing freecell.

You don't have internet in class? :shock:

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:09 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I very rarely find myself in a law school class that requires my complete and undivided attention, or even benefits from it. I wish we got internet in class, because then I could facebook/gchat instead of just playing freecell.

but what about TEH RIGOR????????

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:10 pm

bk1 wrote:

You don't have internet in class? :shock:

Nope. They turn it off in the classroom wing deliberately, although occasionally some will leak through from the rest of the building.

I assume the decision to block it was rigor-related.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:11 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Nope. They turn it off in the classroom wing deliberately, although occasionally some will leak through from the rest of the building.

I assume the decision to block it was rigor-related.

The horror.

Also: locked.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”