Character and Fitness Investigation

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TLSLAW453
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:46 pm

Character and Fitness Investigation

Postby TLSLAW453 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:57 pm

I have two charges one that is for petty theft from years ago and another one from 2 years ago for possession of alcohol as a minor. The first one I went through a juvenile arbitration program and the second one was dropped. I know these two charges are minor but the facts of the second one have me worried. When the officer asked me when I was born I lied and said the wrong year so that I'd appear to be 21 (stupid, I know). She then later went on her radio and verified that I was 20. She told me I have one more chance to tell her my real birth date and I did. This is all reflected on the police report which I am guessing the Florida Bar will read during my investigation.

I called the Board of Bar Examiners and the man said that there is no exact answer and to check online the requirements for passing the investigation. Not much help at all. So my question is do you think this is a serious enough issue to constitute a meeting before the examiners? Should I be worried? Also, I did not give such a detailed explanation on my law school application I left out the part about lying to the officer.

isayixnayhearsay
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Character and Fitness Investigation

Postby isayixnayhearsay » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:35 pm

disclose it, brah

TLSLAW453
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:46 pm

Re: Character and Fitness Investigation

Postby TLSLAW453 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:50 pm

isayixnayhearsay wrote:disclose it, brah




Disclose it to my law school as well as the Bar?

roofles
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Character and Fitness Investigation

Postby roofles » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:13 pm

TLSLAW453 wrote:
isayixnayhearsay wrote:disclose it, brah




Disclose it to my law school as well as the Bar?


Yes. They will verify the info you submitted in your law school applications, so avoid any issues now by disclosing.

User avatar
sjwest
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: Character and Fitness Investigation

Postby sjwest » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:16 pm

roofles wrote:
TLSLAW453 wrote:
isayixnayhearsay wrote:disclose it, brah




Disclose it to my law school as well as the Bar?


Yes. They will verify the info you submitted in your law school applications, so avoid any issues now by disclosing.


+1 don't let them find out on their own, that tells them you're still lying about it.

User avatar
AVBucks4239
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: Character and Fitness Investigation

Postby AVBucks4239 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:37 pm

Disclose everything. They care infinitely more about what you don't tell them than what you do.

TLSLAW453
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:46 pm

Re: Character and Fitness Investigation

Postby TLSLAW453 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:49 pm

AVBucks4239 wrote:Disclose everything. They care infinitely more about what you don't tell them than what you do.



Ok I can still disclose it once I've started law school in August right? Do you think this issue could cause me denial from the Bar or anything? Probably a dumb question but I'm just being over cautious.

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1394
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Character and Fitness Investigation

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:30 am

Provide a more detailed narrative of your conviction now, don't wait.

User avatar
PaulKriske
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:47 pm

Re: Character and Fitness Investigation

Postby PaulKriske » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:43 am

TLSLAW453 wrote:I have two charges one that is for petty theft from years ago and another one from 2 years ago for possession of alcohol as a minor. The first one I went through a juvenile arbitration program and the second one was dropped. I know these two charges are minor but the facts of the second one have me worried. When the officer asked me when I was born I lied and said the wrong year so that I'd appear to be 21 (stupid, I know). She then later went on her radio and verified that I was 20. She told me I have one more chance to tell her my real birth date and I did. This is all reflected on the police report which I am guessing the Florida Bar will read during my investigation.

I called the Board of Bar Examiners and the man said that there is no exact answer and to check online the requirements for passing the investigation. Not much help at all. So my question is do you think this is a serious enough issue to constitute a meeting before the examiners? Should I be worried? Also, I did not give such a detailed explanation on my law school application I left out the part about lying to the officer.


disclose now, and you better have a good reason for lying on your app.

this could prevent you from ever being able to practice. but, seeing how you handled the C&F disclosure portion of the app, maybe that's for the best.

TLSLAW453
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:46 pm

Re: Character and Fitness Investigation

Postby TLSLAW453 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:39 am

PaulKriske wrote:
TLSLAW453 wrote:I have two charges one that is for petty theft from years ago and another one from 2 years ago for possession of alcohol as a minor. The first one I went through a juvenile arbitration program and the second one was dropped. I know these two charges are minor but the facts of the second one have me worried. When the officer asked me when I was born I lied and said the wrong year so that I'd appear to be 21 (stupid, I know). She then later went on her radio and verified that I was 20. She told me I have one more chance to tell her my real birth date and I did. This is all reflected on the police report which I am guessing the Florida Bar will read during my investigation.

I called the Board of Bar Examiners and the man said that there is no exact answer and to check online the requirements for passing the investigation. Not much help at all. So my question is do you think this is a serious enough issue to constitute a meeting before the examiners? Should I be worried? Also, I did not give such a detailed explanation on my law school application I left out the part about lying to the officer.


disclose now, and you better have a good reason for lying on your app.

this could prevent you from ever being able to practice. but, seeing how you handled the C&F disclosure portion of the app, maybe that's for the best.




It's not a conviction and I didn't lie on my app. I said I was caught with a beer and due to the fact that I was 20 years old I received a written arrest, which all is true. Can the law school withdraw my acceptance if I tell them this now before school starts?

User avatar
PaulKriske
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:47 pm

Re: Character and Fitness Investigation

Postby PaulKriske » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:44 am

TLSLAW453 wrote:I did not give such a detailed explanation on my law school application I left out the part about lying to the officer.


knowingly omitting information from your C&F disclosure statement is akin to lying. HTH.

User avatar
PaulKriske
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:47 pm

Re: Character and Fitness Investigation

Postby PaulKriske » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:47 am

TLSLAW453 wrote:
PaulKriske wrote:
TLSLAW453 wrote:I have two charges one that is for petty theft from years ago and another one from 2 years ago for possession of alcohol as a minor. The first one I went through a juvenile arbitration program and the second one was dropped. I know these two charges are minor but the facts of the second one have me worried. When the officer asked me when I was born I lied and said the wrong year so that I'd appear to be 21 (stupid, I know). She then later went on her radio and verified that I was 20. She told me I have one more chance to tell her my real birth date and I did. This is all reflected on the police report which I am guessing the Florida Bar will read during my investigation.

I called the Board of Bar Examiners and the man said that there is no exact answer and to check online the requirements for passing the investigation. Not much help at all. So my question is do you think this is a serious enough issue to constitute a meeting before the examiners? Should I be worried? Also, I did not give such a detailed explanation on my law school application I left out the part about lying to the officer.


disclose now, and you better have a good reason for lying on your app.

this could prevent you from ever being able to practice. but, seeing how you handled the C&F disclosure portion of the app, maybe that's for the best.




It's not a conviction and I didn't lie on my app. I said I was caught with a beer and due to the fact that I was 20 years old I received a written arrest, which all is true. Can the law school withdraw my acceptance if I tell them this now before school starts?


your best bet is to come completely clean in a formal letter and get a statement from your point of contact with the police or school or whatever attesting to the story and the outcome. the school can withdraw, but that's completely up to them.

TLSLAW453
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:46 pm

Re: Character and Fitness Investigation

Postby TLSLAW453 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:51 am

PaulKriske wrote:
TLSLAW453 wrote:
PaulKriske wrote:
TLSLAW453 wrote:I have two charges one that is for petty theft from years ago and another one from 2 years ago for possession of alcohol as a minor. The first one I went through a juvenile arbitration program and the second one was dropped. I know these two charges are minor but the facts of the second one have me worried. When the officer asked me when I was born I lied and said the wrong year so that I'd appear to be 21 (stupid, I know). She then later went on her radio and verified that I was 20. She told me I have one more chance to tell her my real birth date and I did. This is all reflected on the police report which I am guessing the Florida Bar will read during my investigation.

I called the Board of Bar Examiners and the man said that there is no exact answer and to check online the requirements for passing the investigation. Not much help at all. So my question is do you think this is a serious enough issue to constitute a meeting before the examiners? Should I be worried? Also, I did not give such a detailed explanation on my law school application I left out the part about lying to the officer.


disclose now, and you better have a good reason for lying on your app.

this could prevent you from ever being able to practice. but, seeing how you handled the C&F disclosure portion of the app, maybe that's for the best.




It's not a conviction and I didn't lie on my app. I said I was caught with a beer and due to the fact that I was 20 years old I received a written arrest, which all is true. Can the law school withdraw my acceptance if I tell them this now before school starts?


your best bet is to come completely clean in a formal letter and get a statement from your point of contact with the police or school or whatever attesting to the story and the outcome. the school can withdraw, but that's completely up to them.



A statement from the police saying what? Would sending the law school a copy of the police report be sufficient?

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: Character and Fitness Investigation

Postby Lawst » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:53 am

During our orientation, the dean of students gave us an opportunity to amend our applications - basically if there was anything we did not disclose or should have, we were to meet with him. In your case, you disclosed the incident, so I can't imagine that the school would withdraw your admission. Talk to the school, amend your application. You should be fine.

User avatar
PaulKriske
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:47 pm

Re: Character and Fitness Investigation

Postby PaulKriske » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:56 am

TLSLAW453 wrote:A statement from the police saying what? Would sending the law school a copy of the police report be sufficient?


basically, if anything happened as a result of you drinking underage and it's related to this incident, disclose. any files you have or any events that occurred as a result need to be disclosed.

if you fail to come completely clean and the bar folks find out later, you're SOL for practicing.

User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Character and Fitness Investigation

Postby tyro » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:18 am

TLSLAW453 wrote:When the officer asked me when I was born I lied and said the wrong year so that I'd appear to be 21 (stupid, I know). She then later went on her radio and verified that I was 20. She told me I have one more chance to tell her my real birth date and I did. This is all reflected on the police report which I am guessing the Florida Bar will read during my investigation..

no one will care about your drinking ticket. it's your theft citation that is troubling.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Character and Fitness Investigation

Postby shock259 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:25 am

I know TLS is pretty wise, but we aren't going to be able to give you any real advice on whether or not your state bar would admit you because of your citations. You should speak with an attorney or a the bar itself.

User avatar
joobacca
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:49 am

Re: Character and Fitness Investigation

Postby joobacca » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:31 pm

shock259 wrote:I know TLS is pretty wise, but we aren't going to be able to give you any real advice on whether or not your state bar would admit you because of your citations. You should speak with an attorney or a the bar itself.

yeah, asking here is kind of dumb. it's not like you can rely on this information. just ask your professional responsibility professor. i've found that professors give free legal advice at least once to students.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 6 guests