MPRE/Bar Help

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
AntiHuman

MPRE/Bar Help

Postby AntiHuman » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:25 pm

T30 school, bottom quarter/no debt...going to be 3L this fall. Taking MPRE Aug 10.

1. How long do I need to study for the MPRE?

2. What books/materials are the best for MPRE?

3. Worry about the BAR after I finish 3L year? Is that enough time between graduation and test date in end July?

3. Any other advice is appreciated.

I.P. Daly

Re: MPRE/Bar Help

Postby I.P. Daly » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:54 pm

AntiHuman wrote:T30 school, bottom quarter/no debt...going to be 3L this fall. Taking MPRE Aug 10.

3. Worry about the BAR after I finish 3L year? Is that enough time between graduation and test date in end July?

Kaplan offers a free online course that includes a video lecture and practice tests/questions (no course deposit required). BarBri also offers free MPRE prep materials if you have a deposit with them.

I think the amount of time required to study for the MPRE completely depends on the person and how good that person is at taking multiple choice exams.

zanda

Postby zanda » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:22 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:
AntiHuman wrote:T30 school, bottom quarter/no debt...going to be 3L this fall. Taking MPRE Aug 10.

Kaplan offers a free online course that includes a video lecture and practice tests/questions (no course deposit required). BarBri also offers free MPRE prep materials if you have a deposit with them.

I think the amount of time required to study for the MPRE completely depends on the person and how good that person is at taking multiple choice exams.

Barbri's MPRE course if free for all. I didn't have a deposit with them.

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:29 pm

bump .................

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:53 pm

the free BarBri lecture is quite good for MPRE. I'd say study that and no more. if you did okay in your legal ethics course, you'll be fine

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:27 pm

Mick Haller wrote:the free BarBri lecture is quite good for MPRE. I'd say study that and no more. if you did okay in your legal ethics course, you'll be fine

Can you link me to where I can find this? Do I need a deposit with Barbri?

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:15 pm

AntiHuman wrote:
Mick Haller wrote:the free BarBri lecture is quite good for MPRE. I'd say study that and no more. if you did okay in your legal ethics course, you'll be fine

Can you link me to where I can find this? Do I need a deposit with Barbri?

http://www.barbri.com/enroll.html

ImTheLaw

Postby ImTheLaw » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:44 am

One week max.

BarMax has a free MPRE app for iPhone and iPad. It has everything you need.

Plenty of time. From a T30 law school, you probably already know how to write so it will basically be about memorizing enough law and doing plenty of practice questions.

Do not waste your money on BarBri or anything else that expensive for bar exam prep. BarMax or even Themis is all you need. Trust me.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:25 am

4-6 hours, max, if you've already taken professional responsibility (or ethics, whatever your school calls it). Without ethics, eh, maybe a day or so.

A week on this cakewalk is waaaay overkill. I spent half a day going over BarBri's lecture and outline. It really isn't all that difficult.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:52 am

1. 3.5 hours or less. I scored somewhere around a 110-120 (don't recall exact score).
2. Barbri video on the MPRE (a little over 3 hrs long).
3. Won't be taking the bar for a year, but most people seem to think so.
4. None.

LoriBelle

Postby LoriBelle » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:00 pm

Barbri's MPRE review was more than enough for me (I took it even though I didn't have a deposit), but then I did really well in my PR class. I would not spend more than a day and a half prepping for it if you had a PR/legal ethics course and did reasonably well, or a week if you haven't had legal ethics in law school. I took PR a year before the MPRE, spent one day prepping the Friday before the exam, and got a 127 (my jurisdiction requires a 75 to pass). I did have a friend fail, and I was really shocked because she is a good student, but she passed easily the second time she took it.

Regarding bar prep, do what you think is best, but I'm in Barbri right now and I can tell there is NO WAY I would pass the bar without them (or at least without the books to study from). I'm doing fine on the MBE portion, but state essays are really kicking my tail (and assuming your T30 doesn't spend a lot of time teaching state law, it's a fair bet you will too). I'll note that Barbri is the ONLY prep company that does a full bar review in my state. The other companies (Kaplan PMBR, Themis, etc.) only do the MBE in my state, and as I said before, I learned most of that in law school and only need bar review for state law pretty much. Barbri is expensive, but failing the bar and sitting out another six months would be exponentially more expensive (and depressing). I do think the time period between graduation and the July bar exam is plenty of time to study, unless you are in a super-hard jurisdiction (like NY where ~40% of first-time takers fail IIRC). I would not consider another test prep company unless they do a FULL bar prep in your state, but if they do, PMBR and Themis are fair options from what I've heard.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:32 am

1. I know people who passed without studying, others (like myself) that had to spend a couple of days. I didn't study the first time and failed, albeit by only 8 points, but passed the second time by 30+ points after a few days of intensive studying.

2. Barbri PR book has everything you need, and if your school is like mine, they are all over the place.

3. Currently studying for the bar and think there is plenty of time in between grad and bar date. However, this is studying ~8hrs/day, so if you have time to spare and want to make it less stressful, studying in spring might make sense, though isn't necessary at all.

4. Don't waste your time on a prep course. Just buy the books from one of them and teach yourself. Barbri sells its books for $250 and it's all I've used. I stopped going to lecture after 2 weeks. I've found everything Barbri offers aside from its books to be a colossal waste of money. (Of course, I haven't passed yet, so I might be an idiot, but I'm doing very well on the MBE and reasonably well on essays.)

Rkl88

Postby Rkl88 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:04 am

Not intending to hijack the forum, but would you guys say these MPRE materials are sufficient for the legal ethics final? Or at least a good place to start?

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:21 pm

Rkl88 wrote:Not intending to hijack the forum, but would you guys say these MPRE materials are sufficient for the legal ethics final? Or at least a good place to start?

My professor went over almost nothing but loyalty (conflicts of interest) and confidentiality, so yes, it was more than enough.

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:41 pm

Maybe I'm confused...but I don't have a deposit with Barbri.

Should I sign up for their course now to get the MPRE book?

Someone said use the IPHONE BARMAX app...is it all I need?

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:38 am

AntiHuman wrote:Maybe I'm confused...but I don't have a deposit with Barbri.

Should I sign up for their course now to get the MPRE book?

Someone said use the IPHONE BARMAX app...is it all I need?

You don't need to be signed up with either Kaplan or BarBri to take their MPRE courses. They offer them for free. Here are the links for more information about the course and signing up.

Barbri: --LinkRemoved--

Kaplan: http://www.kaptest.com/Bar-Exam/Free-Pr ... ourse.html

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:06 pm

Okay I'll forget about Barmax and Kaplan and just do the Barbri course. Thanks!

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:21 pm

I took legal ethics, then had to study 4-5 whole days to get a 117.
Don't listen to people who tell you they studied 3 weeks for the bar exam. Start in May right after finals and study steadily through July.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”