Accounting-JD dual degree? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Perseus_I

Bronze

Accounting-JD dual degree?

Post by Perseus_I » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:28 pm

I am considering adding a Master of Professional Accounting (a one-year CPA qualification) between my second and third years of law school. But I have some concerns, and I keep going back and forth; their class was full for Fall 2012, but they essentially offered me a position for the following year.

I go to UT/Vanderbilt/UCLA debt free (basically UT :D ), and the MPA would be covered by the GI Bill. I have considered tax; in fact, I think tax--particularly at a boutique firm--fits my personality and style very well. If I were to go the Big Law route, I would like exit options, such as investment banking or consulting. Basically, I am a rising 2L who is not sure what she/he wants to do but has a few things in mind and wants options (I currently work in bankruptcy, I like it, but keep getting discouraged by practitioners who tell me the market is bad for bankruptcy attorneys just about everywhere, including NY).

I'm most worried about screwing up the recruiting cycle because the traditional route is to get a permanent offer from one's SA position. If I did the dual degree, I'd be either deferring from my 2L summer or hunting my 3rd year.

But I've got the tuition benefits, and I may never have the chance to go to school again...why not use them? Also, having the additional background in accounting (I was a liberal arts major) might give me more control over what practice area I go into, rather than getting shafted around into whatever. If I applied to a tax boutique now, I doubt I would get looked at seriously.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Perseus_I on Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verity

Silver

Re: Accounting-JD dual degree?

Post by Verity » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:36 pm

UT/Vandy/UCLA + your profile pic = ???

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:07 pm

Keep in mind that after you pass the cpa exam you will still need at least a year of relevant accounting experience to get your license. If you pass the exam but never work under a licensed cpa, you won't be able to get your license.

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:15 am

A few of my friends are attempting to get their CPA and JD simultaneously. Both of them have said that they wish they took the CPA exam(s) before coming to law school. It's very difficult to focus on two very difficult tasks at once.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”