People tell me I should feel proud

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lukertin

People tell me I should feel proud

Postby lukertin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:22 am

Because I graduated from law school. Because it was a "hard three years" and because I pulled a "180" from engineering to law.

But, I don't feel a thing. Neither positive nor negative. I don't have any feeling about it whatsoever. I've had about a month to brood over this, and my feelings about it haven't changed.

Is this normal?

hiima3L

Re: People tell me I should feel proud

Postby hiima3L » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:23 am

Do you have a job lined up?

This may or may not explain everything.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:24 am

Yes.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:34 am

--ImageRemoved--

Also, people that don't know anything about law school say a lot of weird things about it.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:38 am

That's Amumu, the Sad Mummy.

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:30 am

I don't think I've ever really felt proud about anything in my entire life. I feel like this is normal for a lot of us.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:35 am

f7 wrote:
Ded Precedent wrote:I don't think I've ever really felt proud about anything in my entire life. I feel like this is normal for a lot of us.

Minus the soul-crushing debt.

Haha, sucks!

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:06 pm

lukertin wrote:Because I graduated from law school. Because it was a "hard three years" and because I pulled a "180" from engineering to law.

But, I don't feel a thing. Neither positive nor negative. I don't have any feeling about it whatsoever. I've had about a month to brood over this, and my feelings about it haven't changed.

Is this normal?

Yes. Enjoy your fucking job and stop whining so much.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:07 pm

lukertin wrote:That's Amumu, the Sad Mummy.

Merged with foreveralone, which is appropriate for him.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:07 pm

lukertin wrote:Because I graduated from law school. Because it was a "hard three years" and because I pulled a "180" from engineering to law.

Is this normal?

All meaning is ascribed, brother. Color the world.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:33 pm

manofjustice wrote:Yes. Enjoy your fucking job and stop whining so much.

Don't tell me what to do, sir.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:45 pm

Is this normal?

Yes. I experienced the exact same thing. My family was so proud, wanted to celebrate this huge accomplishment, and I felt no relief. They didn't understand - they thought I should be very proud.

Is it because passing the bar is the true "end point" of your legal education? That was it for me - school wasn't over, I just switched from law school classes to Barbri. If anything, Barbri was more intensive than my last year of law school, so getting my degree was not the end - an important step, but not the end.

Put another way - the end of law school lifted no weight off my shoulders, so I felt no different.

Broseidon

Postby Broseidon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:49 pm

Ded Precedent wrote:I don't think I've ever really felt proud about anything in my entire life. I feel like this is normal for a lot of us.

Agree with the above poaster about the bar and this. Everything I've done in my life that could be considered an "accomplishment" as always been something that was planned out and expected to happen.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:50 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Is it because passing the bar is the true "end point" of your legal education? That was it for me - school wasn't over, I just switched from law school classes to Barbri. If anything, Barbri was more intensive than my last year of law school, so getting my degree was not the end - an important step, but not the end.

That might explain a lot, actually. Thanks for your insight!

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:08 pm

I felt more pride from events that occurred as a result of things I did while in law school than actually graduating which was inevitable at any halfway decent school. I.e., not all things I did necessarily but as examples: making law review, getting a biglaw job, publishing a paper, graduating with latin honors, transferring schools, etc. Those are all things not every single person who enters law school eventually achieves (like graduation).

I guess my pride from actually graduating vested as soon as I was admitted to a T25 school -- because no one fails out.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:49 pm

Broseidon wrote:

Agree with the above poaster about the bar and this. Everything I've done in my life that could be considered an "accomplishment" as always been something that was planned out and expected to happen.

This is really sad. You guys have never been proud of anything you've done? It doesn't have to be something others see as an accomplishment, but like you never got in shape to run a marathon or overcame some sort of phobia like public speaking or anything like that?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:52 pm

lukertin wrote:
manofjustice wrote:Yes. Enjoy your fucking job and stop whining so much.

Don't tell me what to do, sir.

YOU'LL ENJOY IT AND YOU'LL LIKE IT, FUCKER

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:09 pm

cinephile wrote:This is really sad. You guys have never been proud of anything you've done? It doesn't have to be something others see as an accomplishment, but like you never got in shape to run a marathon or overcame some sort of phobia like public speaking or anything like that?

one of you must have scored a really hot slam at some point

Broseidon

Postby Broseidon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:09 pm

polkij333 wrote:
cinephile wrote:This is really sad. You guys have never been proud of anything you've done? It doesn't have to be something others see as an accomplishment, but like you never got in shape to run a marathon or overcame some sort of phobia like public speaking or anything like that?

Again, it's what I expect of myself breh.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:11 pm

Broseidon wrote:
polkij333 wrote:

Again, it's what I expect of myself breh.

what about taking a huge pot off some boomer tourist who doesnt deserve to keep the heron print Hawaiian shirt on his back

AZN MegaPoaster

Postby AZN MegaPoaster » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:48 pm

polkij333 wrote:

Is this normal?

All meaning is ascribed, brother. Color the world.

Get the hell out of here with that existentialist claptrap.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”