Midterm Strategy Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
splittermcsplit88

Bronze

Midterm Strategy

Post by splittermcsplit88 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:00 pm

I'm currently a 0L, but the school I'm going to apparently has midterms for its classes.

How else should I approach this aside from the conventional wisdom found here?

I guess I gotta start outlining early?

A'nold

Gold

Re: Midterm Strategy

Post by A'nold » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:01 pm

splittermcsplit88 wrote:I'm currently a 0L, but the school I'm going to apparently has midterms for its classes.

How else should I approach this aside from the conventional wisdom found here?

I guess I gotta start outlining early?
The whole school has them or a few prof's in your section? How much are these midterms graded? I've had a few but they rarely made a difference in my final grade. It's been my experience that prof's that give midterms, participation, etc. grades still weighted according to finals. This was the case for me at least b/c I always did very badly on things like that (rarely participated) and still aced many of those classes (which actually surprised me b/c of the threatening syllabi saying those things were like 20% of your final grade).

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:06 am

Make sure they're even graded. I had a couple midterms my first semester, but they were ungraded and just for practice so we could learn what it's like to take a (mini) exam. One professor "graded" them on our curve so we could get an idea of where we stood at that point compared to our peers, but it didn't actually count toward our final grade.

If that is the case with your midterms, I highly suggest doing them as it was a great experience for me and helped me do well my first semester. I spent a couple afternoons and a Saturday outlining for them the week before, but the most helpful part of doing that was simply reviewing what we had discussed so far.

lynch

New

Post by lynch » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:31 am

Yes! That was a great idea.. :)

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:32 am

this makes note taking that much more important the first 6 weeks. keep a running list of things that are emphasized because the midterm will most likely be straight forward. also find out early if it is multiple choice and if so, start doing practice mc questions around week 3.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”